PDA

View Full Version : operation paratrooper successful !

superior
01-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Last evening I was able to get up to my spot to see if drifting the front sight on my Enfield had fixed my accuracy problem. After 3 shots, I noticed the front sight was loose and could be drifted by hand! I hope a new sight will fix that and the dovetail socket isn't too badly worn. So I put the enfield back in the truck and took out the SKS Paratrooper. I only had 7 rounds of ammo with me (5 handloaded Hornady 123gr j-words and 2 Lee-tl-312-160's). I first shot the J's and they were grouped tightly about 2 inches above the bulleye at 55 yards, just like always. I was leaning against the canopy of my truck with my right arm making contact for a rest. Then I loaded the 2 rounds of cast and shot them the same way. Shot 1....
Dead on ! Shot 2.... within 1.5 inches of the first! I couldn't be happier with the results. The load was 25 grains of H-4895 @ 2.202 oal, federal cases and cci primers. Although the TL-312-160 isnt a good hunting bullet, It became obvious that it was very well designed for accuracy. The 16 inch barreled little rifle will make for an excellent walk around woods gun as I have installed a flush fitting 5 round magazine that doesn't interfere with one handed carry. Stoked with a good flat-nose boolit , It would be ideal for wild pigs. Too bad there are no wild pigs Here in Oregon. Anyway, Im excited and can't wait to get some good brass for it.

montana_charlie
01-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Last evening I was able to get up to my spot to see if drifting the front sight on my Enfield had fixed my accuracy problem. After 3 shots, I noticed the front sight was loose and could be drifted by hand!
You can easily snug up the fit in that dovetail.
Remove the sight and cut a narrow strip from a pop can wide enough to cover one 'shoulder' of the sight base. Reinstall the sight, and trim the excess aluminum from both sides.
The sight base will still be 'bottomed' in the dovetail cut, so your elevation setting will not have changed.
CM

45nut
01-24-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.clovercreekranch.net/

Yes Virginia,, there are feral hog hunts in Oregon.

bobk
01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
MC.
Somebody makes a sight insert with an allen screw. Install, tighten.

Bob K

superior
01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the pop can idea,Montana! I'll be making an insert today. I had no idea there were wild hogs on Oregon. I wonder if I have to go to a ranch and pay out the ying yang or if they are found on BLM land. $2500 for a Bison ! I dont know about you guys but I'd rather spend some of that cash on more weapons and gear. $600 for a hog? Wow !