PDA

View Full Version : Redding specializing in junk!

cbrick
01-24-2009, 12:24 AM
This thread also posted in "Casting Equipment".

Redding products in the toilet? They doubled their prices on most everything and out-sourced quality off-shore.

Well, are they in the toilet? . . . I bought their micrometer adjustable case trimmer. The cutter head was so far off a straight wall case (357) couldn't be cut any closer than .007" to square. Sent it back 5 or 6 weeks ago, haven't received it back yet.

Bought their case neck thickness gauge, between .002" and .003" off center so there is no way to know within .002" and .003" just how thick your necks are. It's now in the junk drawer, didn't bother sending it back yet just because the letter I would send with it wouldn’t be very polite.

Bought their T-7 turret press and three additional die plates (four total plates). The ram and thus the shell holder and the cartridge case are not centered (aligned) on the die. Run a case into a sizer die and watch your case tip over to the side by up to .015"+. Took it back to the store, they replaced the three extra die plates and there was no improvement. Took the whole thing back to the store and they replaced the press and all four die plates. Neither press with any of the 8 die plates is aligned. I have three days swapping dies in the die plates, changing the plates and screwing in countless dies and several hundred dollars invested and the entire thing is junk. I called Redding customer service and was told that “at least I didn’t have to call China or India”. Really? Well great! Now I fully believe in buying American but what good is it when the product is crap.

Bought SAECO #446 four cavity mould. All four bullets that drop from it are a different length to the extent that seated bullets vary considerably. Four different diameters and none are round, not even close to round. Four different bullet weights by 8 grains.

Bought SAECO # 441 four cavity, special order from Midway and waited 60 days for it (it arrived today) and it’s worse than #446. One cavity has a center band that mikes .4245”; all four base bands vary from .4268” to .432”. My Ruger has .431” throats.

Neither mould is useable, $132.00 plus $10.00 shipping for each and I have nearly $300.00 worth of paper weights. Add this $300.00 to the $350.00 for a junk press and extra plates plus the trimmer and the case neck gauge and I have about $900.00 invested in pure Redding Crapola. All five of these Redding Products were purchased new in the past 6 months.

Any company can mess up and let something slip past quality control but it's not a mistake when five straight products are all junk, it's intentional. Redding used to be the premiere reloading tool . . . No longer; they now specialize in manufacturing extremely expensive and useless junk. I shudder thinking about recent Redding die purchases.

Rick

Paladin
02-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks greatly. I'd begun to wonder. A couple years ago I called and asked them why they did not put a venthole in the sides of their sizing dies. Basically, their answer wasn't satisfactory. I finally decided this likely was a cost-containing move. So, that led me to swap the positions of RCBS and Redding in my rankings. Your troubles are good to know, but sorry you've suffered them....

Nothing ever stays the same, I reckon....
Paladin

cbrick
02-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Paladin, welcome to CastBoolits :drinks:

This thread was actually continued in the "Reloading Equipment" section.

You can find it here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=44247

Rick