PDA

View Full Version : Great find at the Gun Shop Today

hunter64
01-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Well I have to share this with you guys, I told the girlfriend and some how it just doesn't register with her,lol.

I went to a gun store that I haven't been to in a few years to look for a K98 Mauser to have some fun with this spring. As I was leaving I noticed a small room off to the side and it had a sign "Reloading Components" and under that it had another sign "Everything must go". I asked one of the clerks if they were closing down and she said no they were getting out of the reloading supplies end of things and everything is priced to sell. So like 99% of us on this board, I thought to myself maybe they have a few molds for cheap, can't have to many molds.

So I start sifting thru some of the reloading components, bullets, boxes of cast bullets, reloading dies etc. I was in there about 30 minutes and just as I was leaving I noticed a big Tupperware type tube with with odd boxes and bags. I really didn't have the time to go thru it all but I said to myself "Self" you can spend another 10 minutes and see if there is anything in this box. So I start pulling things out one at a time and putting them on the floor, don't want to miss anything. A lot of Lee molds a few Lyman's, the regular stuff and then I decided to open up one of the Lee boxes on a 450-200 1R mold. I have always used round balls in my Remy 58's and wanted to try a Lee Conical and for 10 bucks what the hell. When I opened the box it was the conical but it was the hollow point version. I couldn't believe it, I have heard about the conical hollow version but I have never seen one other than one pictures on the internet. So from then on I opened every box just to see if there were more and there were two others for a grand total of 3 hollow point molds.

So I kept digging in this box and I found a neat 2 cavity bullet mold. I have never seen this kind before but it had numbers on the side of it 311-890 and looking at it I guessed about 170 grn and perfect for a 30-30/30-06 . It looked in good shape but used, looks like someone tried to scratch a few vent lines in it but I thought one the heck. So I went up to the counter and paid the small sum and just about felt like running out of the store before they changed there mind.

So after some further investigation on the internet I found out that the mold is a Modern-Bond mold with out the handles on it.

So I fired up the pot tonight and hooked up the mold with regular Lyman 2 cavity mold handles and thought I would give it a shot and see what I have. Well, 160 grn (Lyman #2 Alloy) drops right at .311 and the little scratched vent lines didn't make a bit of difference to the bullets, the mold runs like a dream.

So I took one of the hollow point conicals out of the box and cleaned the grease/oil off the mold, fired up the other pot with pure lead and after pre-heating the pin a bit started to cast some hollow point conicals. This mold works like a dream, and I still cant believe I found three of them. I should sell one on evilbay, probably go for stupid amount, lol.

Really don't need any of the molds but it still was fun finding some hard to get molds all in one big Tupperware box. When I get a chance I will post some pictures.

1z-bar
01-24-2009, 12:22 AM
For 10.00 each you should have bought them all, and sold them on hear or on evil-bay. You could have made some extra money.:)

hunter64
01-24-2009, 02:04 AM
I was thinking of that tonight, maybe I should go back in the morning and buy the rest of there stuff.

Shiloh
01-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Well I have to share this with you guys, I told the girlfriend and some how it just doesn't register with her,lol.

My bride either.

Good Find!! Congrats!!

Shiloh

hunter64
01-24-2009, 03:01 PM
I went back this morning and bought what they had left for molds, my bother is going to take a few and I will just sell the rest of them. The guy behind the counter was more than happy that I bought them all just to get rid of them, even gave me a free baseball hat.