PDA

View Full Version : lubrisizer help

pharmpoke
01-23-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm setting up my 4500 lubrisizer for first time use and bought rcbs top punches and sizing dies to fit my rcbs cast bullets. The top punch fits fine. I removed the die retaining nut and inserted the rcbs sizing die into the base of the press, but the die sits too high for me to replace the die retaining nut screw. Is there a trick to installing the sizing die? I read that rcbs and lyman dies were interchangeable between the rcbs and lyman presses. Help

FN in MT
01-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Is the die all the way down into the sizer body?? The RCBS die should work. If the handle is UP ......is the bottom of the die hitting the push rod that pushes UP too eject the bullet? NOT allowing it to seat fully? All I can think of. I've never had any problem installing the dies.

FN in MT

pharmpoke
01-23-2009, 07:46 PM
FN -nothing stopping it from fitting down in. How snug a fit is it between the die and the press? Does the die just drop in, or need to be pushed in with pressure from the press itself? I read in the instruction book that to remove the die it requires placing the wrench on edge under the push rod and then pulling up on handle. How tight a fit is it supposed to be?

hiram
01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
If you think uyou want to try more pressure to push the die in, Place an oversize washer on top of the die and push down with the ram.

mag_01
01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
press the sizing die into the retaining nut assembly and then it should fit a little pressure from a washer will help to seat it Mag

FN in MT
01-23-2009, 08:33 PM
May want to lube it a bit that seems to help with ANY die. It is a fairly snug fit.

FN in MT

GabbyM
01-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Check for obstructions!
I bought a used RCBS sizer off ebay a while back. It had a 30 cal rifle bullet lodged in it, all mashed up, where someone had tried to force the die in. Guess they just sold it on ebay when they couldn't get a die in it.

Am assuming this is a new unit with no old dried up lube in it.
It could be burrs from machining. Lyman sells the presses at a low price so they don't give them much of a polishing. I's avoid forcing the die in. if it is a burr or foreign object you could dent the seat.

pharmpoke
01-23-2009, 08:55 PM
thanks crew- with a little coaxing from the press it seated fine. A snug fit which took a pretty good amount of coaxing to get back out, but seemed to function fine. I removed lube from some old bullets and ran them thru the sizer and re-lubed them. This lubing business appears to be a pretty messy job, am I correct. I used the lyman alox 50/50 stuff. I'm anxious for the weather to warm up enough here in Wyoming to cast some bullets. I've smelted about 400lbs of ingots from WW, just stocked up on another 200lbs of WW, and I'm ready to roll. Highs were in the 20's today and I don't have a suitable warmer place with enough ventilation to cast, so I guess I'll get some more brass ready to re-load, read some more, and wait for a change in the weather.

beagle
01-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Some of the newer RCBS sizing dies have a small portion right at the top that is several thoundsths larger than the remainder of the body. To insure a tight fit I'm guessing. I ran into this problem when working with making the nose first sizing rig.

I had the raised portion turned down to the diameter of the remainder of the sizer body and it worked fine both in the press and in my nose first sizer.

I encountered it on maybe three different sizing dies out of all that I have./beagle

FN in MT
01-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Shouldn't be too messy. If You have lube running out...Youhave a problem. too much pressure..or if You have a heater...too much heat.

These words of wisdom coming from a guy who recently lubed the CAT. I filled my new STAR with heated lube for the first time...the cat was laying on the back of the bench (as he does frequently) in the path of the OVERFLOW HOLE. See where this is going? I tried to reinsert the piston assembly and squirted hot lube all over poor Kenny. Didn't burn him but we had a hell of a time cleaning him up.

FN in MT