PDA

View Full Version : Factory Brass Problems

KCSO
01-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I opened a bag of Winchester brass last night to load up a few and I was some surprised that new factory brass had oversized primer pockets. The brass was all over the place from a tight fit on the primer to primers that could be pressed in with your thumb and then would fall out if you tapped the case on the bench. The bbag is going back to Winchester, but has anyone else had a problem like this? The primmers I was using were new CCI LP primers and they have always worked fine in my Starline brass.

The Double D
01-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Did you try another brand of primer? CCI have always had a reputation for not being round or consistant in diameter.

Did you measure any of the pockets?

You could be right that the pockets are bad in your brass, but you can't say they are bad because CCI fit in one one brand and not another.

I have always found it useful to use my Sinclair primer pocket uniformer on star line brass before using it.

Frankly even given CCI questionable quality control it does sound like the brass is bad, but to be fair you should have made other checks first.

waksupi
01-23-2009, 02:42 PM
I got a bad batch some years ago. Called the factory, and they sent replacements. I believe I sent the originals back, for them to check on thier own quality control.