PDA

View Full Version : The Stranger

Bullshop
01-12-2006, 10:47 AM
The Stranger

A few months before I was born, my dad met a stranger who was new to our small New York town. From the beginning, dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer, and soon invited him to live with our family.

The stranger was quickly accepted and was around to welcome me into the world a few months later. As I grew up I never questioned his place in our family. In my young mind, each member had a special niche. My brother, Bill, five years my senior, was my example. Fran, my younger sister, gave me an opportunity to play 'big brother' and develop the art of teasing. My parents were complementary instructors - mom taught me to love the word of God, and dad taught me to obey it... but the stranger was our storyteller. He could weave the most fascinating tales. Adventures, mysteries, and comedies were daily conversations. He could hold our family spellbound for hours each evening.

If I wanted to know about politics, history, or science the stranger knew it all. He knew about the past, understood the present, and seemingly could predict the future. The pictures he could draw were so lifelike that I would often laugh or cry as I watched.

The stranger was like a friend to the whole family. He took dad, Bill, and me to our first major league baseball game. He was always encouraging us to see the movies and he even made arrangements to introduce us to several movie stars. My brother and I were deeply impressed by John Wayne in particular.

The stranger was an incessant talker. Dad didn't seem to mind, but sometimes mom would quietly get up while - the rest of us were enthralled with one of his stories of faraway places - go to her room, read her Bible and pray. I wonder now if she ever prayed that the stranger would leave.

You see, my dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions. But this stranger never felt obligations to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our house - not from us, from our friends, or adults.

Our longtime visitor, however, used occasional profanity that burned my ears and made Dad squirm. To my knowledge, the stranger was never confronted. My dad was a teetotaler who didn't permit alcohol in his home - not even for cooking. But the stranger felt like we needed exposure and enlightened us to other ways of life. He often offered us beer and other alcoholic beverages. He made cigarettes look tasty, cigars manly, and pipes distinguished.

The stranger talked freely (probably much too freely) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing. I know now that my early concepts of the man-woman relationship were influenced by the stranger.

The stranger began to discuss personal issues and ailments without regard to the tender ears that might be listening or the fact that it was at mealtime - some of the topics caused mom to leave the table!

As I look back, I believe it was the grace of God that the stranger did not influence us more. Time after time he opposed the values of my parents. Yet he was seldom rebuked and never asked to leave. More than thirty years have passes since the stranger moved in with the young family on Morningside Drive. He is not nearly so intriguing to my dad as he was in those early years. But if I were to walk into my parents den today, you would still see him sitting over in a corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his picture. He never told us his name... we always just used his initials: T.V.

-Author Unknown

KCSO
01-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Bullshop

When my kids were growing up we lived where we could not get TV. To this day I mostly watch old movies and the Discovery or History Channel. I could not tell you one program on broadcast TV. I remember Jack Parr being bumped from TV for saying watercloset. I can still remember the look on my daughters face when she came home with a CD that had offensive language and I broke it in half. I was a rat for about 3 years and now I here here tell her kid, I remember when your Grandpa...

Buckshot
01-15-2006, 06:31 AM
..........Ha! The telebizion. My dad was an Arkansas farm boy. Depression era, but too young for WW2. A very non frivilous person by most measurements. No discipline problems for us 3 boys when dad was around as we were slightly frightened of the consequenses. Maybe more awe, then frightened? Not an abusive man at all. Quiet and slow spoken.

The word from dad was 2 hours of TV a day. Mom could be weedled a bit. So usually it was a bit of TV before school watching Captain Kangaroo. In the evening after dinner and homework we usually had enough TV time left to watch some series like Dragnet. Sunday night it was Disney.

At grandpa and grandmas house when we stayed over there, there was no time limit. But we watched what grandpa watched so it was Wagon Train with Ward Bond, Bonanza, Have gun- Will travel and Wild Cargo. BTW, on Wild Cargo, they shot animals! On TV! For real!

One time I recall us 3 boys, well mostly me and Eric the next younger kind of put up a resisitance to the TV curfew. We were working on mom and dad came in
from his shop and heard us as he came in the back door. He came into the living room and unplugged the TV. He then said that we would have a funeral for it this coming Saturday. Funeral?

Yup. He said next Saturday us 3 boys were going to get to dig a large hole in the back yard, and the now dead TV was going in. With that, not another word was spoken and the TV sat there dark and cold for several days. The fatefull day rolled around but nothing was said about the internment of the toob. At dinner that night dad said that we could keep the TV if we could obey the rules attached to it.

Truth be known, even at that time there was plenty to do beside the TV. I was an avid model railroader and had a pretty nice layout in the bedroom. And if dad was working on something out in the shop we were welcome to be out there. The other thing is that at some time previous, dad realized the ease with which one could slip into a bad TV habit. He encouraged us to read. His favorites from the beginning were books about the founding fathers of this country.

So he would bring home books on Nathen Hale, Ben Franklin, Jefferson, and many more. He generated in all 3 of us boys a love for reading that has lasted to this day.

After I'd been out of the Navy for a couple years and settled down, Donna and I got married. Neither of us had a very good job and we rented an aprtment from her folks. I suppose the relatives felt sorry for us because we didn't have a TV. We were given my grandparent's old one when they bought a new one. It lasted a couple of months but was never very good. Heck, newlyweds didn't really have much use for a TV anyway.

Several months later we inherited my aunt's old one. It too died a timely death not too much later. A year or so passed and our daughter Christian was born. I don't recall us having a TV at the time, or the year and a half afterwards before we moved out to San Timoteo canyon. TV there was out of the question even if you wanted one, as there was no reception in the canyon.

The entire 22 years we lived in the canyon, Christian grew up with no TV. Well, let me honestly say we eventually DID get a TV but it was hooked up to a VCR when those became common. No broadcast TV.

It is a very sad commentary on today's society when people in conversation would discover you didn't have a TV. They felt so sorry for you. It was like you lived in a cardboard box in an alley someplace. My goodness, no TV! Whatever in the world do you do? Sad for who? Us, who had to interact as a family? Well we played lots of games together. I recall many an enjoyable evening on the living room carpet playing a game while Christian's lovebird Timmy ran around and tried to run in and steal placemarkers.

I had my gunstuff to also occupy my time and Donna had craft stuff she enjoyed. In addition we had a circle of friends we enjoyed visiting in addiiton to my and Donna's parents, who were both local. Donna like to entertain so we also had people over.

Plus we read. To this day Christian cannot go to sleep without reading. She mentioned the other day she'd finished a book at work. After laying it down she sat up startled to realize she didn't have anything to read when she got home (she was working swingshift). She said thank goodness the WalMart in Redlands was 24 hours so she could whip in and pickup a new book.

Once when she was younger she was rummaging around in an old steamer trunk my grandparents had. She found an old schoolbook on cursive handwritting. For some reason this fascinated her no end. She practised and practised with that old book. Today many years later I have to say she has the most beautiful clear, and readable handwritting I've ever seen.

I can say most emphaticly that there is nothing redeeming or worthwhile on common broadcast television. Cable or satelite TV does have some worthwile programing.

Television can be a great evil if you allow it to be. At the very least it is a theif. It will steal hours and then years out of your life while you sit in front of it. While our years of raiseing a child are over, one of these days I hope to have grandchildren. I have half a mind to tell them it's broken when they come over. Sad to say here in town we have cable so it does get watched. I can honestly say it is my last resort after coming in from the shop.

To put a point to it, I think we'd all be a lot better off without it in any form.

....................Buckshot

versifier
01-15-2006, 02:23 PM
When I first met my wife, she had two young children and was in dire financial straits. My patcheck helped a lot, but it bothered me that the TV was often the oldest's babysitter. I finally was able to convince her that we had to live within our means if we were ever going to get out of debt. We cancelled trash pickup and made dump runs in my pickup. We did not renew umpteen magazine subscriptions. We watched our power usage and heated with wood, bought from friends who didn't charge the outrageous prices she had been paying. We planned meals and made drinks and snack foods instead of buying them. Last but not least, we turned off the cable tv. (Reception here of broadcast tv is pretty much limited to very poor quality of one channel.)
The girls took it badly, but had enough warning (about two months so they understood they weren't being punished) to make tapes of a bunch of their favorite cartoons and movies. After that, they could take the occasional movie out from the library, but were encouraged to take out all the books they wanted. We read to them every night, and when they got old enough, they read to us. We had a third daughter and she has never known it to miss it.
Our oldest in now an honor student at Dartmouth (preMed, on full scholarship). The middle one is a Junior in HS, not a straight A, but she works very hard on her first love - music - and I'm proud of her. Our youngest is in third grade and reading on a sixth grade level with an insatiable appetite for the classics. They all write creative prose and poetry. They do watch movies and DVD's, but they are not tv junkies like most of their peers. They can think and reason logically and are not afraid to try new ideas or to research things on their own.
I get to watch the History Channel at a friend's house, (he tapes Mail Call and other favorites for me occasionally) and they can see some when they visit their friends, but in neither my wife's house nor mine can they get any tv. I am toying with the idea of getting cable again once the youngest is out of HS, but that's ten years away and will go by quickly enough as it is - I'll be damned if I'll piss it away with us vegetating on mindless rot.

Ricochet
01-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Frank Zappa got it right:

I am the Slime from the Video

I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed 'n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little has changed
I'm the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you