PDA

View Full Version : Alpaca

WickedGoodOutdoors
01-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Anybody ever try it?

Looks like it might taste like Venison?

Have a chance to get one for Free and thought I may try it.

http://images.craigslist.org/3m43ob3la1f912513091mb2139a6c1a731619.jpg

Pepe Ray
01-23-2009, 02:02 PM
It'll keep better on the hoof than venison in the deep freeze. Ya never know what the future will bring.
Pepe Ray

leadeye
01-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Never seen one of those, looks sort of like a sheep with a long neck.

Pepe Ray
01-23-2009, 04:06 PM
From memory;
A native of the South American mountains (Andies).
Raised primarily for the fine Alpaca Wool. Meat only as a by-product.
I see no reason why it wouldn't be as good as venison or other goat.

WickedGoodOutdoors
01-24-2009, 09:23 AM
They gave away the Alpacka to to someone else.

dk17hmr
01-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Probably heard you were going eat it.

home in oz
01-25-2009, 11:21 AM
They are frequently for sale on craigslist in my area.

Suo Gan
01-31-2009, 05:01 AM
If you do kill it, I would do it in the dead of winter (like now) so that its coat is in good condition. The skins make a nice rug or wallhanging. I would think that they must have been eating these in SA since the dawn of time.

MoldyJoe
02-19-2009, 02:10 PM
I had some in Peru a couple of years ago and it was really good. I would PM "missionary" as he is in Arequipa. He probably has some good recipies loke "Lomo Saltado" Joe

Triggerhappy
02-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Bet it tastes like sheep.

Four Fingers of Death
02-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Shucks, sell the sucker and you will be eating rib eye steaks for a long time, they are worth big bucks.

Gerry N.
02-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Around here, (W. WA.) A few years ago llamas were the yuppie exotic of choice, then it was ostriches, now it's alpacas. There are free lllamas on CL from time to time, ostriches have been "ordinanced" out because they will kill and eat anything they can get a beak on, and alpacas are still grossly overpriced to suit the green yuppie microsofties. If you want cheap meat go for llamas.

You just need to keep quiet about "Jose's" upcoming dinner invitation, as most of 'em have names. Food is much harder to kill if you name it.

Gerry N.

Four Fingers of Death
02-21-2009, 04:48 AM
My second son was about 12 when he came up to me when i was cleaning out the chookhouse and told me he had found names for all of our recently hatched chickens which were due for the pot (we had told the kids not to give them names because we were going to kill and eat them.

I groaned and he pointed to the chickens wandering about the garden with their mum and called off teir names as he pointed to them: 'roast, soup, stir fry, bbq were some of the names. I relaxed a little :D
Four Fingers.

Lloyd Smale
03-04-2009, 07:06 AM
put anything in a crock pot long enough with the right spices and its good. Best stew i ever et was made in a ***** house in jamaica out of goat! Just drunk enough to try it and went back for seconds!! (stew that is)

rmaster14145
03-30-2009, 11:35 PM
put anything in a crock pot long enough with the right spices and its good. Best stew i ever et was made in a ***** house in jamaica out of goat! Just drunk enough to try it and went back for seconds!! (stew that is)

you ate the ***** house stew :mrgreen: LOL

rm

richbug
04-04-2009, 11:20 AM
The "farm" behind me raises them. Must have 40-50. Either they are very adept at getting out of fences, or the hands can't build a decent fence. They are always loosing them, at $5000+ per head.

Once the owner approached me while looking for a lost one in the woods. I queried at to what they tasted like, the look of horror on her face was priceless.

BD
04-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Alpacas are the current pyramid scheme of animal husbandry. They produce a great long soft fiber underwool which gets spun into some pretty expensive yarn. Never ate one, but I've tanned a few pelts and they are tough buggers. The hide on that long neck is a tough as Zebra skin. I never could get one to soften up.

As for goat; I've eaten my share of curry goat, and stew goat, in the islands and I love the stuff. But I've never eaten whorehouse stew, and I think by the time I got drunk enough to try it, I'd be too drunk to find my mouth with the spoon :)

BD

stubshaft
04-23-2009, 10:33 PM

They just tole you it was goat mon...:roll:

Baron von Trollwhack
04-24-2009, 09:24 PM
"Taste like chicken". BvT

Lloyd Smale
05-08-2009, 07:05 AM
funny all the single guys laughed at me for eating the stew and drinking the homemade hooch they had but i wasnt the one lined up in the passageway outside the corpmans office getting shots a week later!!! A couple rolaids took care of any problem i had!!

Rockydog
06-22-2009, 08:30 PM
put anything in a crock pot long enough with the right spices and its good.

Lloyd, I've got to disagree with you on this one. I shot my first antelope last year. We had the backstraps and loins over a wood fire a few weeks later at deer camp. It was outstanding! Better than the deer backstraps we cooked at the same time. I couldn't figure out why antelope had such a bad reputation on the taste side. Then I made my favorite venison stew recipe in the crock pot. Guinness and onions, potatoes, and carrots. I took one bite and I was a bit disappointed. The second bite I was a bit concerned. By the time I tried to swallow the third bite I had this really nasty taste in my mouth like the meat was marinated in urine and tarsal gland. This meat had really good care too. Boned out and in a cooler full of ice within 45 minutes of the shot. Redistribted throughout the cooler with additional ice until really cooled. I might try flash frying or making sausage but never again will I put antelope in a crockpot. RD

uncle joe
06-22-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.alpaca.com/alpacas/alpaca_detail.cfm?aID=2
don't know how much one of these buggers weighs, but at 10k, they better weigh several thousand pounds to be worth killin to eat.
better just keep it fed and shear it when it gets time.
:-D

ps
goat is great slow cooked with bbq

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Anybody ever try it?

Looks like it might taste like Venison?

Have a chance to get one for Free and thought I may try it.

http://images.craigslist.org/3m43ob3la1f912513091mb2139a6c1a731619.jpg

Last season when I dropped my elk off at the butcher there were some funny looking critters hangin. When I asked about them I was told alpacas. The owner sent them to be made into jerky. I think there were 5 hangin.