PDA

View Full Version : acceptable boolit size out of mold

cephas53
01-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Howdy, another newbie question. Did my first run with a Lyman mold tonight. Thanks for all previous info here as I was up and running off the bat. Up until now I've been using a Lee die, that in a .38 wc would drop at .358. However the wc out of the Lyman dropped at .361 with the same mix. Is this normal? How much over have you seen in your experience casting? Gonna slug my bores and study sizing. Thanks in advance and have a good one!

monadnock#5
01-22-2009, 10:19 PM
The perfect mould drops a boolit exactly the right size for every gun you own in that caliber, no sizing required. Since perfection is very rare, and quite expensive, .003 over your needs is a reasonable approach. Size them down and be happy. There's nothing wrong with your Lyman mould. A mould that drops under size is what we don't like, as they require either lee-menting or banishment from the kingdom. Depending on how the lee-menting goes, sometimes both.

Slugging your bores is the next step. Use pure lead, WW stick-ons or roof flashing. If you do a revolver, remove the cylinder first so that you don't spring the crane.

mooman76
01-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Check your mould. Maybe it isn't quite closing all the way. It doesn't take much but like monadnock said better too large than too small. It may shoot fine as is. If you are really unhappy with it after awhile offer to swap or sell it and buy another. There is always someone out there needing a mould that drops big.

beagle
01-23-2009, 12:42 AM
I'd be happy if all my .38 moulds dropped at .361". Just size them and be happy./beagle

opentop
01-23-2009, 01:23 AM
I'd be pickled tink if all my molds dropped .003 over. One new 452 lyman I have is casting at .451 one one side and .452 on the other.

Maven
01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
This is one instance where bigger is better than the reverse!

Calamity Jake
01-23-2009, 04:19 PM
THAT MOLD AIN'T NO GOOD YOU BETTER SEND IT TO ME ASAP, I'LL TAKE OF IT. :kidding: