PDA

View Full Version : Where to go from here?

JohnH
01-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Finally got a 375 sizer in and made up a dummy round for my Encore 375 JDJ rifle. Seating the bullet to the base of the neck as is done with jacketed bullets, the lands engrave the bullet for a length of .165" I can seat the bullet deeper, but it is then exposed to the brunt of ignition. I read this is an undesirable condition.

My first trys with the rifle have 6, 10 shot groups with the Lee 379-250-RF. From a clean barrel the first 10 will go into 1" very nicely, makes a nicely rounded group. No weirdness. But by the time the last shot of the 3rd 10 shot group is fired, the group has opened to 3" (50 yards) Bullet is 10 BHN and the twist is 1:12

I decided to get a .375 sizer as I was having some chambering problems and since the groove slugs to .3755, figured sizing to 375 wouldn't hurt and has the possibility of helping. Perhaps. I wonder if the rifling is too fast for the 10 BHN. The leading I get is more a wash than slivers though I do get small flakes from the barrel on cleaning.

I can close the barrel with a tad of effort, but I wonder if a harder bullet is going to make that harder if not impossible. I wonder how a harder bullet is going to act seated below the neck.

Finally I wonder if shooting some jacketed at full pressure through the barrel will help. One can see the tooling marks at the rifling/throat clearly on the bullet of the dummy I made up this evening.

This is a new barrel and the 60 rounds I've fired are the first through the tube. MY inclinatin is to shoot some sized to 375 and made up as my dummy round is. If leading continues, oven harden some boolits and start over. To deep seat or not at that point remains to be seen.

Frank46
01-12-2006, 04:10 AM
John, your idea of shooting some J word bullets sounds good to me. I have a win 94 66 commorative that still had the reaming marks on top of the lands. About 200 rounds later they are just about gone. These were all handloads with some 150 gr j word bullets that I just happened to have. Then try wheel weights with 2% tin. Harder boolits may not give you the accuracy you want. You did not say whay your load was. Hope this helps. Frank

Bass Ackward
01-12-2006, 07:44 AM
There maybe be a few barrels made today on this planet somewhere that would NOT benefit from shooting jacketed bullets, but this can't be proved. On the other hand, there isn't a single barrel that would be hurt by a few of them either.

One guy asked me once if I thought he should fire lap.

My response to him is that you fire lap each and every single time you fire anything down a bore. You lap if you run a cleaning rod improperly.

Your decision to make is based on your experience and personality. Can you wait for your current method to produce the bore finish you need or that you eventually hope to get?

Some guys are comfortable using only lead for this process. You may want more success, faster using copper. Or .... you may "want" to even use abrasive additives to expedite the process.

This is your dilema.

drinks
01-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Johnh;
Try forgetting the sizer, just shoot as cast with plenty of lube.
You should be shooting a .001 to .002 " oversize bullet, a BHN of 12-14 will be good for 1200-1400 fps, BHN 18-20 for 1400 - 1600 fps.
If you want to do something faster, get a gas check mold or do as I do and turn down the shank and install a gas check.