PDA

View Full Version : Load data? for .45apc with 250GR

Timberland
01-21-2009, 04:14 AM
Hi everyone, Well I cast my own today! They are almost to pretty to shoot (not really). So I have the 230gr .452 lee mold and my boolits are coming out at around 255Gr. So what load data do I use, standard cast 230gr FMJ or Cast loads?

And if it matters im using roofing scrap that I got a good deal on, Its dirty but at least im in the game :castmine:

DLCTEX
01-21-2009, 05:33 AM
I would think you need to adjust your powder some. I'd use the starting load for 230 gr. cast and work up slowly. If you could get some WW or Lino to alloy your boolits with it would lighten them up and maybe make a better boolit. I load some 255 gr. boolits for my 45 ACP and they call for less powder and even a stronger recoil spring.

Timberland
01-21-2009, 06:28 AM
I would think you need to adjust your powder some. I'd use the starting load for 230 gr. cast and work up slowly. If you could get some WW or Lino to alloy your boolits with it would lighten them up and maybe make a better boolit. I load some 255 gr. boolits for my 45 ACP and they call for less powder and even a stronger recoil spring.

I have a heavy recoil spring and was worried about cycling issues aswell. Im using HP-38/W231 for powder. The Boolits are TC so I also need seating deapth

Willbird
01-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Thats amazing that they cast that heavy.

Bill

jdgabbard
01-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Roofing scrap should be 99% pure. And like wildbird has said, that is pretty heavy. However, when I first started casting my 158gn TL-SWC from straight WW I noticed I was dropping boolits as heavy as 165 grain. Not too heavy, but enough that I wanted to bring the weight down a bit. I ended up using some 60/40 solder to bring the weight down to right at 159-160gn. Though I fear you would have to use quite a bit of solder to get them down to the right weight.

I think you should listen to dale's advice. Alloy the the rest of your lead with WWs or something to bring it down to spec. Or just use straight WWs and keep the pure for BP or special purpose loads.

Timberland
01-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Well I called Sierra and talked to balistic expert Paul, and am amazed at how great he was. Im shure all their guys are knowledgable, but Paul was great. He looked through several manuals and found cast data for me. with w231 at 5.4gr and a 250gr slug they got 756FPS stating a max load at 5.9 with 824. I might have got a few numbers off, but they rock. Im starting at 5.0-5.2. as Im trying to make IDPA power factor and only need about 660FPS. I just hope theese rounds dont fly like an artilary piece and drop to fast!!!

shotman
01-22-2009, 02:32 AM
I would think that those heavy boolits in a 45 would tire your wrist. A 230 Military ball load is bad enough