PDA

View Full Version : Ross Seyfried M.I.A.....?

waco
01-20-2009, 08:04 PM
hey guys.
Ross was my favorite writer in Handloader and Rifle magazine.
he has been gone for some time
anyone know where he went or what he is doing?
does he still write for anyone?
sorry if this wasnt the best spot to post this

tommag
01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
I heard from somewhere that he was writing for Double Gun Journal.

jforwel
01-20-2009, 11:42 PM
A few months back he also penned an article for American Rifleman.

FN in MT
01-20-2009, 11:46 PM
He's still healthy, and hunting. I know an old HS Buddy who went on an elk hunt with him two months ago in IIRC.......Colorado.

FN in MT

Heavy lead
01-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Sure wish he'd write more. I miss his articles much.

crabo
01-21-2009, 01:20 AM
He wrote one on a 4 wheeler about a year ago, but I forget which magazine it was in.

DonH
01-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Ross Seyfried is my favorite writer and has been since mid 80s. Most often these days his work can be found in double Gun and Single Shot Journal. Seyfried was a Keith protege and like his mentor has been said to be a bit of a challenge to work with at times. I don't know that for sure about ross but it certainly was of Elmer, who did not suffer fools gladly.

The nature of publications has changed much since Seyfried began his writing career. G&A used to have room for for technical articles (like serious reloading and custom gun stuff) while in that vein Handloader and Rifle were at the top of the heap. The latter two are still at the top of the heap as far as I am concerned but even they have slipped into piblishing largely articles to tickle the fancy of the manufacturer of the month of the latest me-too creation (?). This is not Ross' forte and I doubt he is easily coerced into writing what an editor wants him to say. His work I have read in most recent years has been about the grand old guns from the masters of yesteryear and in particular, making them shoot again. Townsend Whelen once wrote that "only accurate rifles are interesting". John Barsness recently wrote that since accurate rifles are so commonplace nowdays, it is the out-of-the-ordinary rifles that are really interesting (or at least a line to that effect headlined his article). This is more likely where Ross Seyfried fits in these days.

I would trade a whole year's worth of issues of most of todays gun rags for a single article by Seyfried.

Bret4207
01-21-2009, 08:23 AM
I would trade a whole year's worth of issues of most of todays gun rags for a single article by Seyfried.

Or Skeeter or Elmer or Ken Waters or Al Miller or Bob Milek or George Nonte or ......:(

dromia
01-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Or Skeeter or Elmer or Ken Waters or Al Miller or Bob Milek or George Nonte or ......:(

Me too.

I stopped buying gun comics 10 years ago as I thought they were becoming just advertising rags.

You just got the impression that anyone could produce a gun related product and it was brilliant, there is no real critquing, or original thinking happening now.

In saying that I might just be tempted by the online subscription to Handloader and Rifle, that seems a bit more realistic price for these shadows of their former selves.

Pioneer2
01-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Finn Aaguard excuse the attemped spelling was also a good writer.African experiance etc....................Harold

Heavy lead
01-21-2009, 07:52 PM
G and A, Shooting Times, etc. are just insane now, how many articles on the leverevolution ammunition can they do? I still do take Handloader, Rifle and S. Hunter magazine as they are the best of the lot. But if Scovill gets rid of (taking liberty here) our Mike V. and Brian Pearce, I'll be out. Those two make the mags for me. Berit Aagard has written a couple articles in Hunter that I thought were excellent, but I've only seen a couple. The internet (such as this sight) has replaced G and A, ST, Petersons Hunting (which at one time was my favorite) and others that I had before. Read a lot of Glen Fryxell's stuff too, and is very enjoyable. I have in the past liked Jamison, Sundra, Boddington, Simpson and others but lately seems like they have gone stale and just don't touch on anything new, except advertising.
I'm really sick of seeing everyone using Encores for hunting in the rags and tv too. There still are other guns out there, right?

TexRebel
01-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Speaking of good old George Nonte, his handloading for hand guners is still the best book I have ever found for the begining reloader, I wish I could find another copy as mine is getting dog eared from all the folks I have lent it to

NHlever
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Jamison ticked the gun companies off so much with his games that I doubt any of them will even talk to him now.

35remington
01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Actually, the lawsuit involving Jamison and compensation for his work (from Winchester for one) make it necessary for him to leave the writing trade.

No longer impartial, don't you know. As if they are now, with the lurid advertising copy in some of these magazines.

Bret4207
01-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Could someone fill me in on what happened to Rick Jamison? I used to love his stuff when I was starting out in the late 70's, read his stuff through the 80's and early 90's and sort of lost track of him. Whats the kerfluffle?

Hey- I'll give you another one- Jim Carmichael used to do some GREAT stuff in his early years, so did Dave (The Ego) Scoville. Those 2 should return to their roots and try and have a little fun with it again.

Catshooter
01-22-2009, 09:31 AM
My opinion on Ross's being gone from the gun comics (great name, Dromia!) is I don't think he'd take any crap from his editor and he also liked the old guns you had to cast for. Like many of us!

Gun comics! That says it all. I haven't bought one for a long time.

Cat

MT Gianni
01-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Bret, AIRC Jamison sued winchester with the idea that he had invented the short mags or at least the idea of a shrt fat magnum being more efficient. He did get an out of court settlement which has been kept quiet and it may state that he is not to work in the trade again. That or loose all advertising from Win/Rem and now Ruger because someone hired him after they were in court against each other. This is what I have heard alluded to on other boards but no one has ever said these are the facts. I cannot therefor claim they are facts just a perception.

Marine Sgt 2111
01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Well Gents...I have saved old G&A from the '70s on up and now I won't waste my money on the rag. I miss the old sages like Elmer, Jack O'Conner, Skeeter, Al Miller and as a Handloader fan...Ken Waters.

The new breed of writers rubber stamp everything and speak from a point of little practical experience. I just picked up a CD of the four publications on bullet casting spanning 1966 through 1992, with articles from George Nonte....what a treasure. I miss the writings of those intellegent and articulate individuals....

JKH
01-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Man, those names bring back memories!

I started readin G&A in the late 70's and have almost every single copy stored in packers from 1980 up to the late 90's when the rag started going to hell. As far as I know the only old guard writer left is Gary James and I hate to think why he is still with them, as stated by others, its nothing but gratuitous advertisement and has NOTHING of substance.

Ross seyfried was always my favorite, few men wrote like him and was able to provide such a varied pallete firearms subjects to suit all of our tastes, how I wish he was being published monthly again, I could barely wait till my new G&A arrived each month and read every single page. I still use those magazines for reference, along with a healthy collection of gun rags going back to WWII with all the old greats, to be perfectly candid, the 80's were probably the golden age as there were still a good number of great men that were not only writing about these thing but LIVING them, men like Bob Millek, Seyfried, Skeeter Skelton, Kieth and more, they were the brain trust of damn good writeres and real men, not like Boddington and some of the other's that in my opinion, couldnt make a patch on one of the mens posterior anatomy.

I wish Seyfried would start a web site and dedicate it to all his old works AND new, I want to see him build new rifles and shoot sub-moa at mile plus targets (NOT with a .50 caliber either!), his article on paperpatching jacketed bullets was phenonimal as well as those on casting, I could spend hours reading his work on rare old English pieces and pistols that would make most men cry to shoot, he also pushed the envelope on modern weapons and even had article about hunting black bear with an M1A!.

Well, I guess we wont see those days again, men were men and there were no mall ninja's, men were bold and self sufficient and made something of themselves, not now, we are in the age of the wimp.

Fortunately we have places like Cast Boolits, there are men as I described above still living here and it is good that we can find each other and communicate in a way that was inconceivable 20 years or more ago, I am very happy to be a part of this board and a few others of the same ilk, we have a few of our own "Ross Seyfried's" here and elsewhere that would not have had the chance to share their wondeful knowledge and skill if we couldnt push a few elecctrons around cyberspace, heres to you guys! Keep it alive and well for the next generation.

Jeff

(please forgive and spelling or gramatical errors, english is not my forte guys!)

sniper7369
01-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Man is this a blast from the past. I can remember as a kid waiting every month for my Dad's gun rags to show up so I could read the articles from Skeeter, et all. About the only gun rag I read anymore is American Handgunner, mostly just to see what's new out there.

madcaster
01-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Ross Seyfried always impressed me as a fella who wanted to see things working,and how they got there,new ideals,etc.
He IS missed!

Ricochet
02-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I stopped buying gun comics 10 years ago as I thought they were becoming just advertising rags.
Same here, longer ago than that. The American Rifleman held out better than most, but it's tending toward the infomercials, too. And I really don't want to read about four wheelers or pickups in a gun mag.

Patrick L
02-01-2009, 04:37 PM
I feel the need to put in a plug for two of my favorites; Dean Grennell and Clay Harvey.

We casters all owe Dean Grennell a huge debt. He championed our cause long before many of the other gunwriters. I just recently was re-reading his ABC's of Reloading books. The chapters on casting, sizing, and homemade loading gadgets are priceless. When he dropped from the writing scene I contacted Gunworld Magazine inquiring as to his wherabouts. That was just after Jan Libourel took over. Mr. L emailed me back that he had lost contact with Dean and was somewhat concerned for his health etc. A few months later it was in the magazine that he had passed on.

Clay Harvey (perhaps not even his real name) was a great meat and potatoes kind of writer from the 80s that just wrote some nice no nonsense articles. He had a humor and wit that made his stories fun to read, and pulled nopunches. If he liked something he said so, and if he didn't he wasn't shy about telling you.

madcaster
02-01-2009, 11:31 PM
I hope nobody forgets Frank Marshall!

Junior1942
02-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Our own Mike Venturino writes good stuff for *Rifle* magazine. This month's article on 38 WCF is a very good one.

I had considered dropping my subscription to *Shooting Times* and then they started re-running old Skeeter Skelton articles.

JKH
02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Your right Junior, Mr. Venturino has been a good stable force in the gun wiritng field. Personally my tastes run quite differently from his but what I have read for many, many years has been excellant. Funny, he is actually old guard now but I dont think he is comparatively that old, just experience wise I guess.

Patrick, what exactly are the titles of the books you mentioned? I would like to find them on interloan if possible.

Jeff

Old Ironsights
02-02-2009, 03:34 PM
There are a couple of Ross articles I wish I could find...

One was his discussion of the then-new .475 Linbaugh, and the other was an article about turning a Ruger Red Label into a combo-gun.

docone31
02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
I had seen Mike Venturino's name here, and I wondered if it was the same.
I wanted to PM him and say I appreciated his articles, however he probably gets them and I didn't want to add to it.
My tastes were different from his also, but, I learned a lot I had not known before.
I feel kinda special being on the same forum as a lot of folks here. I know I sure learned a lot. Ross got me interested in paper patching way back then. I had no clue untill I got here and now I wonder why serious shooters gave it up for jacketeds.
Everything I have is Old School.
Now I am learning how to make it work.

Patrick L
02-02-2009, 05:48 PM
JKH,

The books were actually called the ABC's of Reloading. The old DBI Books put them out. I think Dean did the 1st through 5th editions, and then they switched editors and the new guy was terrible.

Dean Grennell also did a DBI book called the Book of the .45 and that one was great too. A third one was titled either Handgun Reloading or Reloading for Handguns (DBI yet again) and that was a collaboration with Wiley Clapp, with our own Mr. Venturino and a guy named Ken Howell as contributors.

I agree, Mike Venturino is also one of the great ones. Curiously, most of his career was spent writing about things that didn't interest me, but these past 5 or 6 years he has started writing in depth about two of my passions, casting and WWII military rifles, and sometimes casting for WWII military rifles! I did drop him an email telling him how much I enjoyed his work, and he responded quickly with a very appreciative email. He seems like a good guy.

Mike Venturino
02-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Patrick: I can assure you that he is a nice guy. I know that from personal experience!

To my military rifle collection I have just added a German K43, and one of those Ohio Ordnance Works BAR M1918A3s, and a paratrooper M1A1 Carbine. I'm having more fun with this stuff than a grown man ought to be allowed.

Got to go now, off to a gun show.

PS: Someday when I'm bored I'll fill you guys in on the real world of gun'riting. Some of you are so far out in left field that you're not on the same planet as the real world. The one such thing I'll say right now is that Dave Scovill is one of the two best editors in the business. One reason is he gives writers free rein. Wolfe Publishing seldom knows what I'm going to turn in until it arrives on their desks. And I have worked under every editor that Wolfe Publishing had since 1976.

JKH
02-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Patrick,

Thank you for the information, I will endeavor to peruse them when possible.

Mr. Venturino,

Do you still have you old Colt 1911 with the Pachmyer grips? I believe that was one of your first forays into the world of military/non single action firearm articles, I enjoyed that one a great deal.

I am sure, that as you say, the writing world is quite different than what most readers perspective would seem to be. I do know that things have changed mightily since the late 80's to mid 90's, the shooting fraternity lost so many great and stalwart writers that it crippled the industry, that and the pervasive political correctness. For so many years during the 1994 assault weapon ban the public would be hard pressed to find a decent article concerning "black rifles", it seemed that the gun writing world was afraid to be associated with such firearms, but then 2004 came along and wonder of wonders, the AWB went the way of the Dodo (at least for now, so we all need to remain vigilant), then it seemed like every gun rag had an article about the latest and greates AR15 type rifle that came down the pike, along with Kalishnikovs, etc. Why were gun magazines so recalcitrant to acknowledge and write about these guns before that? Now it seems, as others here have stated, that most magazines are nothing but infomercials, so little depth and substance. There are few gun writers out there with any true knowledge or skill in weapons craft but do have a knack for spelling and a word processor, in the day a good gun writer new whence he spoke of, not delivering trite sound bits to pimp the latest "thing" from a detached industry.

Please know that I do not lump you into the above catagory, I have read your articles for close to 30 years, perhaps since you started and I have always admired your knowledge and writing style even if I wasnt particularly interested in the same type of firearm you wrote about, my overwhelming and compelling desire for as much firearm related knowledge has always led me to read everything of value I could. I am glad to see that you are delving even deeper into the realm of military firearms as that is my most dear subject of interest. You wrote a tome many years ago on U.S. martial long arms, I thoroughly enjoyed that and still have it in my collection.

Lets hope the future brings us more men (and women) that will bring back the days when simply writing about a subject wasnt enough, it is imperative that those doing the writing have a deep seated passion AND knowledge for what they write, not just to fill pages with words that will get them paid and at the same time make sure that the god of political correctness is appeased. Fortunately we have the internet, while there is much to be wary of here there is also a tremendous treasure trove of people with profound knowledge, skills and love for our hobby that it more than makes up for the dirth of good printed sources. I do opine for the old days and writers that were so great and legendary but times do change, and here we are, we have 10 for 1 available at the stroke of a key any time we want, THAT is a good thing indeed.

Jeff

Mike Venturino
02-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Ok, its time for some information about the real world of gunwriting. The magazines owned by Inter-Media will hardly print an article about any item from a company not a regular advertiser with them. That's SHOOTING TIMES, GUNS & AMMO, RIFLE SHOOTER, what used to be PETERSON'S HANDGUNS and perhaps others.

That is precisely the reason I quit SHOOTING TIMES after 11 years as a contract writer. They even told us which companies we could write about and one time an editor even told me we should put the word "Ruger" in an article any place it would fit, whether the article was about them or not. I got sick of it and wouldn't sign another three year contract. I even told them that if they gave a helping hand up to some of the smaller companies making quality products those companies might remember them when they got big enough to have an advertising budget. No deal.

The other of the two best editors in the gun magazine business is Roy Huntington. That's because he has the smarts to use people who know their subject and then he lets them write what they want. Not one time - ever - has he asked me to do anything that remotely smacks of stroking an advertiser. If I have stroked one - such as an article I did about U.S. Firearms' excellent single action revolvers it is because I wanted to do it. And get this - U.S. Firearms has never given me anything. They have given me a dealer discount but contrary to what many of you think NO FREEBIES. Maybe they have with other writers, but not me.

And while I'm at it contrary to what people have said I have not been given any Shiloh Sharps rifles either, although I am one of their biggest supporters. I do have one that was free - I won it at the BPCR Silhouette National Championships in 2006 for being the highest scoring shooter firing one of their rifles.

Let's's put an end to one other rumor I read on one of these Internet forums. Wolfe Publishing Company did not recruit me to fill the hole left by Ross Seyfried. I had no idea he had left them when I called Dave Scovill mid-2004 and asked if he would be interested in any articles once my contract with SHOOTING TIMES expired. He called back a few days later and asked if I was interested in doing a regular column and features. You bet I was. I got my start in the 1970s with Wolfe Publishing and I was happy to get back together with them. Likewise Dave Scovill has never pressured me to do anything to stroke an advertiser.

That's lesson one of the real world of gunwriting. I'll do another down the road sometime.

Mike Venturino

JKH
02-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Mr. Venturino,

I admire your candor, not many in the field would say that much. Its a shame you have been wrongly accused of nefarious deeds, unfortunateky such is life but an honest man will find vindication and I believe what you say.

Are you planning any articles concerning cast shooting in classic military semi-auto rifles by any chance? It would be interesting to see how your K43 would take to lead. Sorry to shift gears but I cant help but ask :^ )

Thank you for your insight, keep up the good fight!

Jeff

waco
02-08-2009, 12:35 AM
thanks for the inside info mike.
i think i speak for most all of us when i say we love what you do, and all of the great information you pass along to all of us. especially the younger guys like myself(early thirties). you have a wealth of knowledge, and its people like you that keep people like me interested in what we all here love to do.:lovebooli
waco

PAT303
02-08-2009, 02:49 AM
All I can say is I get handloader posted all the way to Oz to read articles by Brian Pearce,Dave Scovill and Mike Venturino and don't buy many others,car,4WD etc because all I get is the impression that they are pushing the marketing line and how good a product is advertised depends on how much the maker pays.I also have got a very quick reply from a very nice lady named Michelle at HL when my mags didn't arrive and she got it sorted very fast,something that is lacking in most places today. Pat

Mohillbilly
02-08-2009, 05:52 AM
I liked Jack Lewis and ,wanted to plug his in with some of the other good ole boys.He had gun and knife articles and is now retired.Gun world has not been the same..

Patrick L
02-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Mr. Venturino,

It takes guts to speak the truth about the people who provide your paycheck. What you said further reinforces my belief in your integrity as a writer. I'm glad that in your profession too there are a few bosses who actually earn your respect, and I'm glad you find yourself working for a few now. I've had both. The bad ones are bad, but the good ones are priceless.

Do you recall we corresponded last summer about my experiments shooting cast bullets in the Garand? Did you ever pursue that further?

Patrick L
02-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Mohillbilly,

I think Jack still writes articles for Gun World, he's just not the editor.

R.C. Hatter
02-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I too, have noticed that both Handloader & Rifle magazines have slipped the way of the rest of the gun rags. Makes one wonder what manufacturer the writers are working for nowadays. Out of the lot of gun writers today, there are NONE like Keith, Nonte, Jim Carmichael, Ken Waters, Wallace Labisky, Don Zutz, that told you like it was, not how some editor or bean counters thought it ought to be. There were good honest product evaluations as well. The writers of today apparently believe that the plethora of sky high priced firearms they hawk today are within the average workingman's price range, but it is fool's gold at best. If the arms, ammunition, & reloading manufacturers cannot keep the prices down to what John Public can reasonably afford,
how will they sustain themselves in the future ?

Char-Gar
02-08-2009, 11:48 PM
One cannot mention old time gunwriters without talking about Townsend Whelen. He was far and way my favorite.

IIRC George Nonte died when his reloading room caught fire. He was a fairly controversial figure during his lifetime.

JKH
02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Chargar,

Whelen certainly was/is and iconic figure in the firearms realm, one of my favorites from days of yore was Julian S. Hatcher. Hatcher's notebook in my opinion (not worth much, but mine none the less) is THE definitive work on just about any subject a gun enthusiest and studend could ever desire, he even conducted tests on return flight time of bullets shot straight into the air with some very surprising results. His brother was extremely gifted as well but did not attain the same standing.

I always wondered about Nonte, anyone have a dfinitive answer as to how hemet his demise? If indeed he died in a fire that is a horrible fate.

Jeff

Mike Venturino
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Nonte died of a sudden heart attack in 1978.

Mike Venturino
02-09-2009, 12:09 PM
The type of articles a gun magazine prints is directed by its owners and not by editors or writers. When a magazine says it only wants to stroke advertisers the writer has two choices. He can go along with it, which many of them do because they (1) don't care or (2) got no place else to go.

The second choice is to quit, which I did from GUNS & AMMO in 1993 and jumped to SHOOTING TIMES. Then when SHOOTING TIMES got bought out my New Yorkers I jumped again in 2004 when I found a soft place to land.

The gun magazine business is a product oriented field so there is much writing about products. It can't be avoided. What is bad is when a magazine becomes a "*****" to certain companies or writers become the same to certain companies.

Personally there are certain types of guns I like and I'm happy to write up one of their new products. There are others I avoid totally. And there are some that can go either way. I've received test guns in the past that I just sent back to the manufacturer with a note that says "It won't work."

Some readers I've met at gun shows say, "Why haven't you written up so & so's new "such & such." I tell them "If I haven't written up a product that seems natural for me then it is for one of two reasons (1) I haven't heard about it yet or (2) it was such junk I won't have my name associated with it. And its not just small companies that send out junk. I've sent guns back to Colt and Ruger too.

And that's another lesson in the real world of the gun magazine business.
MLV

MT Gianni
02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks Mike for an enjoyable read. I look forward to more education. Gianni

WickedWillie
10-28-2022, 12:13 PM
Speaking of good old George Nonte, his handloading for hand guners is still the best book I have ever found for the begining reloader, I wish I could find another copy as mine is getting dog eared from all the folks I have lent it to

I thought his little book "Basic Handloading" was one of the best and most practical book on the subject. Covered everything you might want to do. I have two copies...one for personal use and one to loan out. (Infrequently though, since it's out of print.)

gwpercle
10-28-2022, 01:12 PM

You showing your age ...
I miss Skeeter and Elmer and Ken and the rest also ... here's to all of them !
:drinks:
first round's on me!
Gary

Onty
10-28-2022, 02:06 PM
Nonte died of a sudden heart attack in 1978.

I found that George died when he was just 51 years old https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Nonte . So young!

BTW, Mike, thank you very much for all your wonderful, straightforward articles. You educated so many of us.

Onty
10-29-2022, 08:23 AM
I would like remain younger members here that, as far as I know, Ross was the first one to write about "big" 45 Colt, created by John Linebaugh. Also, Ross was a driving force behind .500 Linebaugh, and later .475 Linebaugh.

One little story related to Ross. When I was reloading .455 Webley, I got frustrated with existing deburring tools, they are just 5/8" dia. I looked for a larger one, couldn't find it. So I made new 3/4" dia, using O1 tool steel. Ross was among first to get sample. Hope it still works fine.

Cast10
10-29-2022, 03:19 PM
I loved G and A in the 80’s/90’s too. Ross Seyfried, Jack O, Col. Cooper, Finn Aagard, Sheriff Jim Wilson, Townsend Whelan, Skeeter, Elmer and my favorite’s, Bob Milek and Mike V.

I left G and A when Mike V. did and have been at ST since. It keeps getting smaller and smaller with nothing but ads and Yes Boys. I still read it to see what jokes/fake news Layne is gonna print. There is really no one over there now I like. Mike V, what would you suggest for a ST replacement, sir?

Der Gebirgsjager
10-29-2022, 04:33 PM
Just want to point out, fellas, that this thread is 13 years old. I haven't seen Mike Venturino post here for almost that long.

DG

PositiveCaster
10-29-2022, 04:44 PM
… BTW, Mike, thank you very much for all your wonderful, straightforward articles. You educated so many of us.…

Guys, this is a 13-year-old zombie thread. Venturino hasn’t been back to the forum in over eight years, he won’t see your attaboy.

I quit writing for Handloader and Rifle when they went to being general publications instead of subscription magazines. They had to improve revenue I guess, but it just wasn’t the same “family feeling” as before, even though Dave S. was there before and after the change in focus. Eventually I wasn’t a big enough name to get manuscript priority, so once I began having to wait 12-18 months for a manuscript to see print I decided to leave. I still really enjoyed reading the publications though.

Wrote for Precision Shooting for a while, but there was no money in that. Then they went belly up….

Cast10
10-29-2022, 08:24 PM
Shucks. Just noticed that! Won’t hold my breath.

HollandNut
10-30-2022, 02:39 PM
I gave up Handloader not long after Gary Sitton passed , didn't Dave take over behind him ?? ..

Geezer in NH
11-01-2022, 07:09 PM
No more double gun journal either.

PositiveCaster
11-02-2022, 08:43 PM
I gave up Handloader not long after Gary Sitton passed , didn't Dave take over behind him ?? ..

I don’t believe that Gary ever headed the Wolfe publications, he was an editor for Peterson’s Hunting though. He passed about six years after he stopped writing for Wolfe. As I recall during my time writing for them, it was Al Miller, Tom Gresham when Al retired, then Al again (don’t ask!) then Dave. I may have forgotten one…