PDA

View Full Version : barrel leading?

mdgyro
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
I shot my first cast boolit today and then took the gun down. I noticed there were little hair like strings of lead sticking up in the barrel. I am using tire weights and lee liquid alox. bullet was sized. 45 acp

GP100man
01-20-2009, 06:40 PM
strings are from over speeding, the boolits ability to grab the rifling , smears are from gascutting , too small a boolit.
a little bigger mite help but probably
you need a stronger alloyed boolit .
you can try tin but more than `bout 2% is a waste of $$
& welcome to :cbpour:

GP100man:castmine:

mdgyro
01-20-2009, 06:49 PM
the load seemed a little hot I guess this could be the cuase. The next one will have a reduced load I'll see if that helps.

HORNET
01-20-2009, 08:28 PM
What diameter did you size them to and what does your barrel slug at? You might also consider water-dropping or heat-treating your boolits. Look around, lots of info available here.
You ought to hit a pressure ceiling before you get any velocity leading with most cast boolit designs.

mdgyro
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I sized them to .452 what is how do you slug a barrel. I dropped them out of the mold into water. yes you are correct a very deep well of knowledge here.

cajun shooter
01-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Try backing off your load to a mild one and don't water drop. The 45acp will work fine with just the straight WW bullet. It sounds as if you could have a few things going on. Too fast, too hard, and a possible sizeing problem or not enough lube.

mdgyro
01-22-2009, 08:18 AM
I will load some today and vary the load. I will let you know what I find out.

kir_kenix
01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
.45 acp should be fine with ac ww's. My guess is that your boolits are too hard (I think it would be difficult to push ww boolits too fast in the .45 acp without them being very, very overloaded). What lube and load are you using? I suspect the problem my be a combination of things....but its always easier to start changing one variable at a time.

mdgyro
01-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I reduced the load and all is great no more lead hairs