PDA

View Full Version : BIG boolet

shooter575
01-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Had a coworked look me up.He heard that I might be able to ID a couple old rounds he found at his aunts house stufed in a drawer cleaning it up for resale. He said on the phone one was big.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/MVC-518S.jpg

I think he is right. Little one is a Spenser 56-56 This is the orgional B/P C/W loading. Rimfire H headstamp.[Winchester] They made them up to the early 20 's.
Big on is 1.030 dia at lower band. It is for a 1" Gattling gun. Also rimfire.No markings. Most were used as a naval gun. post C/W up to the turn of the century.Hate to be the blackshoe humping mags for that one! I am guessing that hunk of lead is 2500-3000 gr. That will make your pot level drop
He may be selling them,any you guys know what they may be worth? I would sorta like to have them in my colection

Johnch
01-11-2006, 08:00 PM
I think the big one is for a Hotchkiss ( spelling ) self loading gun .

Cabela's Dundee had one on display for a while till some one offered them enough $$

I only saw a pic of the ammo before for it .

For some reason I think they used them at Wounded Knee .

Johnch

shooter575
01-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Here is the type of Hotchkiss pack gun that the army used at Wounded Knee. It has a 1.65 bore.

[/img]http://public.fotki.com/shooter575/marion_skirmish_2004/marion_2005/100_0314.html[img]

Hotchkiss did make revolving cannons for the navy.5 or 6 barrel as I recall. I am still looking for a 1"gattling pic.
Guy in pic is Matt Switloc.He has been shooting B/P artillery for ever.He lives not far from that Cabellas in Dundee.

Frank46
01-12-2006, 04:02 AM
Shooter, was looking at gun and ammo on the tube. They were showing some of the old time bullet and cartridge boards. They happened to fix on the gatling gun round. The shell in question did not have any exposed lube grooves. Far from being an expert on this subject you just mught have something else. Try a search for cartridge collecting and maybe someone could id your cartridge better than I can. Who knows you may get lucky. Frank