PDA

View Full Version : Garand CB loads?

msgt1030
01-11-2006, 12:23 AM
I am fairly new to the site and have been deployed with the Air Force and out of the cycle, so please have patience with this question. Are there CB loads for the M1 Garand that will work the action? This question has probably been worked over many times in the past. I just can't find it. Thank you.

grumble
01-11-2006, 01:15 PM
"...Are there CB loads for the M1 Garand that will work the action? ..."

Bruce B is the most notorious expert for this question!

BruceB
01-11-2006, 05:33 PM
I may well be 'notorious' in some circles, but even though my Garand WORKS with cast-boolit loads, I've yet to get much in the way stellar accuracy with this particular rifle. However, it's early days yet and better times are a-comin'.

I strongly suggest that you do a search here for "Larry Gibson" and "BobS", because they have both written some excellent stuff on loading cast bullets for the M1 Garand.

You may also want to do a search simply on the word "Garand". This will bring up a LOT of posts on a variety of subjects, but somewhere in each thread will be a mention of the Garand rifle, and some of those mentions should have useful hints.

I fully intend to expand my experience with, and knowledge of, this M1 as quickly as possible. Obtaining reliable functioning is not difficult, and reasonable accuracy should be available as well. My rifle has zero problems with leading of either the gas system or the barrel.

In the meantime, 35 to 37 grains of IMR 4985 will function my rifle perfectly with cast bullets ranging from 160 to 210 grains. Also, following the BobS recipe for the Garand, try about 41 grains of H (HODGDON!!!) 4831 with a 200-plus bullet weight (he recommends 311284), and you should also get good functioning...and Bob swears by the accuracy of this load. He uses a tiny bit of toilet tissue over the powder charge in this load.

Good luck. I really enjoy these rifles!

hydraulic
01-12-2006, 11:18 PM
I use the load Bruce recommends. I have an old Hodgdon manuel that lists 41 grs. of H4831 with a 180 gr. cast bullet. I use the Lee .309 200 gr. bullet and it functions my M1's just fine. I can't testify to the accuracy because I can't shoot very good, anymore. I just sit my 68 yr. old bum down, put my elbows on my knees, and try to put 20 rds. in the black of the 100 yd NRA target. Usually shoot about 65 to 70 %, although I have done 80%. Struggle to my feet, pick up my brass and go home and spend the rest of the day with a Lyman 310 tool and a pot of coffee. By the way, don't use 4831 and jacketed bullets over 150 grs. at normal velocities around 2700 fps. You'll bend the operating rod and they are expensive.

msgt1030
01-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Thank you Grumble, BruceB and hydraulic for your advice. Now I will put your advice to the test, cautiously, thoughtfully and safely.