PDA

View Full Version : Lee Six Cavity Cam... No Workee!

seagiant
01-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi,
I was pourin some 200 gr. .45 acp bullets the other night and broke the metal peice where the wooden handle goes on the cam. Has anyone done this before? I'm thinking of trying to make a replacement myself out of tool steel? I don't know what LEE's policy is on this, if it was RCBS I'd just call and get another. I'm thinkin I'd rather make one out of steel than pay for another cast one? If anyone has some experience with this or some thoughts I'd like to hear about it. This is a great mold and doesn't throw hardly any culls! Thanks!

imashooter2
01-10-2006, 10:10 PM
I broke one same place on a borrowed mold. Made me unhappy as I thought I was going to be paying for a new one plus shipping. With nothing to lose I put the broken piece in an envelope with a note that said returned for warranty replacement. They sent me a new one post haste at no charge.

9.3X62AL
01-10-2006, 10:25 PM
That's good news. I've always thought highly of that cam arrangement on the Lee 6-bangers....not so much its durability, but its leverage use.

Back to the "honey-do's".

swheeler
01-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Yep, it happens! Now I keep a spare around just incase.

MT Gianni
01-11-2006, 12:48 AM
With their cam it,s when not if it will break. I have made sure I cast 1 hole at first then warm to 2 then add one every 2 casts until I am sure the whole mold is up to temp not just the end I dipped in to pre-heat. Gianni.

David R
01-11-2006, 09:37 AM
I just welded a cheap screwdriver to the piece of plate. Makes a great handle and will never break again. I never could figure out why they use wood on metal that is going to get hot and cold.

David

imashooter2
01-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I just welded a cheap screwdriver to the piece of plate. Makes a great handle and will never break again. I never could figure out why they use wood on metal that is going to get hot and cold.

David

Because it is cheap, a great insulator and won't melt?

seagiant
01-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Hi,
I want to thank everyone for helping me out with this. I'm a little red faced on this after David informed that you can weld this metal, because I own a nice TIG machine! The thing is a lot of this mystery cast metal does not tig that well. It gets hot right up to the point that its laying on the deck looking at you. Or it wont mix with the filler rod and weld! I'll probably try it because I like to repair something and put it back to work ! Thanks again!

Go tell the Spartans! Stranger passing by,
That here obediant to their laws we lie!

---Simonides

Springfield
01-14-2006, 01:27 AM
If you broke it then you probably weren't getting the mould up to temp. I have 12 six gangers and I cast thousands of bullets a month and I have never broken one. IMHO

seagiant
01-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi Springfield,
I appreciate the info but to tell the truth you just about don't have to get this mold up to temp!(even though it was!) This thing will pour perfect bullets first cast if you just let it sit on the pot while you're melting the lead! This was my fault completly,I had the spout open to much and some lead went over the side and instead of taking the time to clean it off I went ahead and pushed it! Go figure! Actually at the time I had confidence that the cam could do it! Sort of like Bob Lee at Gettysburg! Anyway I now know how far I can push this thing,which is valuable and good information"s not cheap! Thanks again!