PDA

View Full Version : How much $ is to much? for WW's

Hotrod99
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I found a place on Friday that has 2 - 55 gallon drums almost full of WW... :mrgreen: Question is, how much is to much for them? The lady said she would take .40 per pound... Is that to much?

I picked up about 100lbs from a small tire shop and gave them $30 bucks.

Papa Foxtrot
01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
In my completely unqualified opinion, if you want them for personal use, then .40/lb is fine. If you're thinking of selling ingots, it's prob'ly too much. Last time I looked, ingots were going for .80/lb on fleaBay. After dross/trash/waste, you'd only be looking at around .20/lb profit. Too much work for too little money.

Other than that, how you planning to weigh and move the darn things? At a "guesstimate" of 10lb/gal, that 55 gallon drum is gonna' weigh over 500 lbs...

Papa

felix
01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
I think for that quantity, I'd offer 10 cents. ... felix

jnovotny
01-19-2009, 03:03 PM
make her an honest offer for say the whole lot at .25 a lb. I'll bet she'll take it.

bbs70
01-19-2009, 03:54 PM
It sure doesn't hurt to offer a lower price, all she can do is say no.

40 a lb doesn't sound that bad if you're going to use them yourself.
Two days ago I bought 75 lb of wheel weights @ .20 per lb from a local tire dealer, and after sorting out the zinc, steel, & aluminum weights along with the steel clips, I ended up with approx 40 pounds of wheel weight lead.
There were a LOT of zinc weights.

You might want to consider the unusable stuff ( zinc & steel) in the barrels when you make her an offer.

jdowney
01-19-2009, 04:15 PM
I've been averaging $.10/lb, but then again, we're pretty rural here, not a whole lot of competition from recyclers. And thats at tire shops, a bucket or two at a time. I'd expect to pay a bit more from a recycler.

When I weighed a full 5 gallon bucket at work, it was 150#. I think the real question is how are you going to move 1 55 gallon drum, let alone two. If they have a fork lift then I'd be a bit less inclined to low ball them. If they've got no lifting machinery though, chances are you could get them pretty cheap by pointing out how much work its going to be to hand load it all into managable buckets.

The Dove
01-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Make her an offer but buy them no matter what, even if she sticks to .40/lbs. That's what I would do.

The Dove

Willbird
01-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Call the local scrap yards, tell them you have 1000lbs or more of WW to sell, see what price they give you, then offer the same or just a bit more, after all you are picking it up.

Bill

hammerhead357
01-19-2009, 07:17 PM
I would do as willbird suggests except I would offer a little less because you are picking them up. I would bet that each of the 55 gal. drums is going to weigh about 1500 plus pounds so if they don't have a way of loading them for you it is going to be a lot of work with a shovel and buckets to get them home with you. So that is another factor to consider when making an offer.....Wes

C1PNR
01-19-2009, 08:33 PM
My Brother and I were at the recycle about a week ago to get some flat bar steel. I asked about the price of wheel weights and was told I could have all I wanted for $1.35 per pound.:shock:

I figure he'll probably have the same box, looked like about 400 to 500 lb, this time next year at that price.:bigsmyl2:

randyrat
01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
1650 lbs each barrel X 2 = 3300lbs X.40= $1320......................
You could sell a bunch of them for .60/lb+ shipping..Unsmelted, just boxed...providing there isen't Zink turds and a bunch of stick ons in there.
Do you have time on your hands?...Figure in 10% zink and 10% soft stick ons....Do you have a market for Zink and stick-ons?

KYCaster
01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
A 55 gal. drum full to the top weighs about 1200 lbs.....more or less.....much less if there's a lot of trash in it.

If you know what you're doing it takes about an hour and a half to get it into buckets of managable weight using just a shovel, rake and spud bar....make that an hour if you can get a chain around it and hook it to your trailer hitch.

I don't know about your area but I think $.40 is too much. Here the battery companies started offering to recycle WW when the metal prices went up drastically, but now their price has gotten so low that the tire shops think they're being gouged and they're still asking the price they were getting last summer.

I'd check back with them every two weeks with an offer of 15 to 20 cents. When they accumulate another barrel and it gets in the way, they'll be more likely to take your offer. You'd probably have to take it all though.

That reminds me, it's about time to hit my sources again.

Jerry

catkiller45
01-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I think you better get them as one never knows when some tree hugger will
will start yelling toxic waste.....Here in PA some tire dealers will not let you have them...

Randall
01-20-2009, 01:15 AM
You may want to get what you can while you can. All the tire shops quit selling here and I have one scrap dealer who will sell to me at .40 cents a pound when he has any.

Hotrod99
01-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback! I'll be in that area of town on Friday... I'll stop by and make her an offer. they are sitting outside right now... so I'm woundering how much water is in the drums... I'd have to move them one bucket at a time... they do not have a lift. :-?

Railbuggy
01-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Theres a guy in Cincinnati I get mine from.He sells used tires he gets from the auto scrapers.He charges me about 10/20 cents per lb as I always buy tires from him and get my leaks pluged there.

Jon K
01-20-2009, 10:06 AM
I go along with what Willbird says.........the place I'm getting them from is selling it to me for what the recyclers pay for it $15/5gal bucket.
Prices are down now, so try to get a fair price.

Jon