PDA

View Full Version : Hrbr Frgt Mill motor wiring info needed

ammohead
01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I have a Harbour Freight/Central Machinery milling machine that i purchased 5 or so years ago. I had it set up for 115 vac operation because that was all that was available to me at the time. Then I moved and during the moving process lost all the paper work that came with the mill. I may still have it somewhere?????

I would like to set the motor up for 220 vac single phase. But alas it is a chinese motor and upon removing the pecker head cover I see nothing that I can recognize.

Surely there is someone out there that has one of these set up for 220 that maybe I can get to pull the cover and help me out.

Thanks ahead of time.

ammohead

lunicy
01-19-2009, 01:55 PM
you can look up the manuals on harbor freight.com

ammohead
01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
you can look up the manuals on harbor freight.com

Thanks lunicy, I looked it up. I am a bit embarrassed to say that I am having a bit of a problem figuring it out. I am more of a controls tech than a power tech and I am used to seeing better schematics. I am used to nomenclature like L1, L2, common, etc. It has a note saying that on the "tri core" wire when using 220 to leave the white wire unconnected. How do I get 220 with only one wire? I am assuming that the "tri core" wire is the cable that plugs into a recepticle.

I am sorry to say that I am still at a loss here. The manual that I am looking at online is 33686.pdf. Anyone care to shed a little light on my problem?

ammohead
01-19-2009, 03:53 PM
I it possible that the "tri core" wire they are refering to is the wire that goes to the rotary forward/off/reverse switch? On that part of the schematic the white wire is shown connected to the motor terminal for 110 vac operation, but is not shown at all for 220 operation.

ammohead

lunicy
01-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I just looked at it too. Damn that is confusing. Got the funny feeling it was written by someone overseas.

I would say try calling the tech #. I don't know if it'll do any good.

lathesmith
01-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Apparently, you have two wire bundles going to the motor, a "tri-core" with white, green, and blue wires, and a dual-core bundle with blue and brown. It looks as though you need to tie together V1, U2, and Z2 on the motor for it to operate at 220, as well as swapping a few other wires around.
My guess is that the motor is getting neutral from one of the dual-core wires. I believe it's fairly common on these motor/switch setups for the motor's capacitors and switches to operate at 120V, even if the motor is operating at 240(220)V.
lathesmith

ammohead
01-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks Lathesmith,

If I understand it right, L1 goes to black on the power cord and L2 goes to white, and green to ground of course. As per the print for 220 I use only the two blues, the brown and the green at the motor. The white I plan on wrapping in electrical tape and leaving disconnected. I am going to cut the 110 male cord end off the power cord and replace with a 220 twist lock, as I plan to put the recepticle in the ceiling above the mill and don't want the cord falling out.

ammohead

lathesmith
01-20-2009, 10:56 PM
ammohead, a twist-lock is a good idea, under those conditions. If you know what you need, let me know as I had a few assorted extras of 3-prong male TW plugs that I got in an assortment awhile back that I'll never use. If I have one you can use you can have it. They rape you on those dang things at the local Lowe's or Depot, if you haven't priced one for awhile you may be in for sticker shock!
lathesmith