PDA

View Full Version : Rip-Off at Amazon

jim4065
01-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I have a $25 reward certificate from Amazon that I figured would help out on some new reloading manuals, so I checked out the new Lyman 49th Edition. They don't offer it (strange), but do still have new and used 48th Editions in stock. The price on a new 48th is $100. What? http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Reloading-Handbook-Thomas-Griffin/dp/9993634077/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232375103&sr=1-1

Lyman sells the 49th for $28. http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/publications/49th-edition.php

Midway sells the 49th for $20. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=217655

Amazon wants 5 times as much for an out-of-date manual as Midway wants for a new one? There are times when it pays to shop. :roll:

EDIT: Never mind - there's the same rip-off on the Hornady manual:

From Hornady $36.50 http://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=430292431fba0690c8ce452562adce7b

From Amazon $90. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001N7TOXI/ref=sr_1_olp_36?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232375687&sr=1-36

I guess that Amazon has a bunch of greedy so and so's trying to make a fortune off the reloading craze.

Tomhorn
01-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Jim,

Amazon is not the seller they are just providing a link to someone how is selling it. While this can be a valuable tool in locating hard to find items one needs to be very careful on Amazon. These second and third party sellers have no real connection to Amazon. Some are good and some are not.

SharpsShooter
01-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Tom is correct. I deal with Amazon for many things and have no complaints. I have seen a few typos where a book was priced at over a thousand dollars due to a misplaced decimal point. It is possible that has occured in your case.

Ss

I just sent the sellers a message......

Hi

I was just contacted by a friend that was interested in the Lyman 48th Edition Reloading Manual that you have listed for $100 + Shipping. It would seem that you are not aware of the actual retail value of this item. It is available directly through Lyman Products for $28 USD or even a better deal of $20 USD through MidwayUSA.com

You won't sell many, if any, at that price, especially when you consider it is out of date. The 49th Edition is available at present, so it seems you want 5 times the price of your competitors for a dated text.

Regards,

Lets see what they say........

lunicy
01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I was looking for jacketed performance from cast bullets. There is one at $100.00. I don't know if the book is that popular or they are just out of their mind, but at $100.00 they can keep it.

BTW if anyone has a copy of the book, I'm interested. I'd be willing to read it and send back if interested as well

Scrounger
01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Jim,

Amazon is not the seller they are just providing a link to someone how is selling it. While this can be a valuable tool in locating hard to find items one needs to be very careful on Amazon. These second and third party sellers have no real connection to Amazon. Some are good and some are not.

And all of them rip you off on shipping!

MT Gianni
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I was looking for jacketed performance from cast bullets. There is one at $100.00. I don't know if the book is that popular or they are just out of their mind, but at $100.00 they can keep it.

BTW if anyone has a copy of the book, I'm interested. I'd be willing to read it and send back if interested as well

Veral Smith used to sell you one for $25, the beartooth manual has almost the same info. I believe Veral has a link at greybreard's. This is worth reading again and again, I would get my own copy before I borrowed one and I would not loan mine out.

JSnover
01-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Try half.com
I've had good luck over there. It's basically a link to online auctions and other sellers (I think it's eBay-based) but if they have your item they'll link to multiple copies and a broad price range based on condition, etc.

PatMarlin
01-19-2009, 03:43 PM
I hate Amazon.

BPCR Bill
01-19-2009, 04:01 PM
In my searches to add to my gun library, I found a book by Nick Strobel covering old and vintage iron sights, from the mid 1800's to 1964. This book I obtained from Buffalo Arms for maybe not much more than $30. Mr. Strobel had published another book on vintage scopes such as Fecker, Lyman, Winchester, and Unertls. IF you can find this book, it is usually on e-bay and the bidding is in excess of $300. And, it is soft bound. Granted, it's out of print, but I really don't need it that bad.

Regards,
Bill

JSnover
01-19-2009, 04:06 PM
I found Strobel's book at a gun shop for about $15. I don't collect sights but it's a handy reference if you're looking for a period-correct sight for an older gun.

leadman
01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Veral Smith has his own website: www:lbtmoulds.com. The book is still $25.00

alamogunr
01-21-2009, 12:50 AM
And all of them rip you off on shipping!

I got several things from (through) Amazon before Christmas and have yet to pay shipping. Granted it may take a couple of days longer en route but a couple of times I got the item within the time frame quoted for paid shipping. No one should just order blind.

John

Shepherd2
01-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Living out here in the sticks we find Amazon is very pretty convenient for us. If nothing else it is a good place to find the going price for something you are interested in. Some things are shipped from Amazon and some come from vendors associated with them. Just pay attention to see who you are buying from. The vendors are rated so you can see what past customers thought of them. The prices the vendors charge can go from cheap to the astronomical prices some of you have found.

Shipping is another area to watch. A lot of items over $25 are eligible for free shipping. You have to jump thru a couple of hoops to get it but it's there. Some vendors do overcharge on the shipping but there is usually another vendor with a reasonable rate.

We both use Amazon to find hard to find items. I was looking for a set of pole hole diggers to dig deeper holes for corner posts. I looked all over and then found them on Amazon at a price I could afford. Same with those Swiss hoof trimmers I'd wanted for years.

Some may have bad experience with Amazon but the wife and I are happy with them and they've saved us a lot of time, money and gasoline.

KCSO
01-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Amazon, Gunbroker, Auctiion Arms, E Bay, Cast Boolits... all the same if the price isn't right i just go someplace else. No matter where you shop SOMEBODY has somethinng WAY overpriced.