PDA

View Full Version : CR License

Ivantherussian03
01-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Hi Guys, I am looking for ideas. I am trying to buy some rifles: mausers and mosin nagants. But I am having problems:-( The guy with proper paperwork I usually buy from is not motivated enough or something. So I am wondering?
1. How hard is to get the curio and relics firearm license?And where do I start for this?

2. Should I just find someone with the proper paperwork and buy from them?

Thanks

Ivan

Bodydoc447
01-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Go to the ATF website, download the application, fill it out and send them a $30 or $40 check. C&R FFL discounts are pretty good on a lot of things from Grafs, Midway and especially Brownells. Takes the ATF a couple of months to do their thing but it is worth it, at least for me.

Doc

Herb in Pa
01-10-2006, 08:12 AM
What BodyDoc said..................

Bigscot
01-10-2006, 09:21 AM
I got my c&r this past Aug and it took about 2 weeks from the time I requested the application from BATF until I got my license. I could not believe that the gubment could work so fast.

BS

BABore
01-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Gun wise, just what can you buy with a C&R license? Are any of the Mauser's buyable like the 98?

I had a regular FFL for about 9 years, but gave it up when the Clintonista's started to get real snoopy.

jballs918
01-10-2006, 11:18 AM
hey guys there is a great section on this at surplusrifles.com. they have a great guild to walk you thru it and also alot of good reading on what you can and cant do. just look under the c&r section you will find it there. 8-)

Ivantherussian03
01-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Heys Guys,

Thanks. I did visit the www.atf.gov site looking for the application, but could not find it. I am going to email and call them today. I will keep you posted.

many thanks

Junior1942
01-10-2006, 11:59 AM
It's www.surplusrifle.com The url with surplusrifles.com is a pop-up den.

The surplusrifle.com link to atf works like a charm.

waksupi
01-10-2006, 09:00 PM
BaBore, you would be amazed at what you can get with them. Mausers, Mosins, Krags, Enfields, 03A3's, commemoratives, various pistols, shotguns. A great assortment!

db2
01-10-2006, 09:03 PM
What jballs918, and Junior said is right on. Go to surplusrifle. They even have a C&R fourm if you have any questions. I followed the instructions from them, and within a month I had mine. The only problem I had was the government sent me a type 01 application. No problem just reordered for a type 03. I have easily saved over twice the amount I paid for the license just from midway alone. Wish I would have known about this 10 years ago.
db2

762cavalier
01-10-2006, 09:09 PM
You definitely can't go wrong wih the C&R, there are many many rifles including SKS, SV40's, Mosins, Mausers, Swiss rifles, etc etc etc all shipped to your front door ;-) And like has been stated the discounts from Midway,Graf's , brownells etc. pay for the license. I made the 30 dollar license fee back in savings on my first order to midway after getting the license. :)

hydraulic
01-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Keep in mind-the rules are the same as for an FFL. The ATF has a right to inspect your premises. All purchases must be kept in the bound book and you cannot buy and sell. I had a C&R for three years and never used it---kept thinking about big brother snooping around my gun room.

Ken O
01-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I got the C&R just for the discounts at Midway etc, I got my money back a long time ago. Besides the rifles mentioned above, you are eligible to buy automatic firearms, you will get a catalog with a list. The eligible autos are real high dollar, so you need much deeper pockets than I have.

waksupi
01-11-2006, 12:06 AM
I got the C&R just for the discounts at Midway etc, I got my money back a long time ago. Besides the rifles mentioned above, you are eligible to buy automatic firearms, you will get a catalog with a list. The eligible autos are real high dollar, so you need much deeper pockets than I have.

Ken, yes, you are eligible for class 3 firearms, as anyone else is. And you can have them delivered to your door. After you have bought the appropriate permits, and jump through the usual government hoops. As far as I know C&R licensees have no exemptions from these laws, as the class 3 collectors have to do this for each firearm. I doubt the 03 is less restrictive.

NVcurmudgeon
01-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Ivan, If my experience is a fair measure, you won't regret getting a C&R license. Others have cited the great advantages, I'd like to mention that the ATF people I have dealt with over the phone have been uniformly courteous and helpful. i have had my license four or seven years, can't remember if I renewed once or twice. All my dealings with ATF have been over the phone or through the mail. There has been no dreaded knock at the door. They are probably laughing hysterically that there is a guy out there who bought a Nagant revolver on his C&R!

twotoescharlie
01-11-2006, 10:39 AM
had two M1 garands delivered to my front door via C&R. you can go broke in a hurry with one. mine was up for renewal in Nov. of last year. didn't renew as the temptation is just to great and I don't have a strong will when it comes to C&R firearms and surplus ammo.

TTC

Rick N Bama
01-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Keep in mind-the rules are the same as for an FFL. The ATF has a right to inspect your premises. All purchases must be kept in the bound book and you cannot buy and sell.

All the above is true EXCEPT that you can buy & sell to build and/or maintain your collection. You just can't make a living doing it.

Rick

grumble
01-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Put me in the paranoid column. I waited until it was certain that Bush would beat Gore in 2000 before I sent in my application. I renewed it in '03, but won't renew it again. I don't want my books audited by any anti-gun agents or to open my home to to them for inspections. If a pro gun administration is elected in '08, I may re-apply.

To answer your earlier question, you can buy just about any gun, interstate, that is over 50 years old.

Ricochet
01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
You can't "engage in the business" of buying and selling guns with a C&R license. If you buy something with the intent of reselling it, you're breaking the law. If you buy a gun, decide it doesn't fit in with your collection and sell it (to someone not prohibited from buying a gun, and properly record his ID in your book), you're OK.

StarMetal
01-11-2006, 04:30 PM
John stated it just as I understand it. Another thing with the C&R is when you decide to quit, you just don't renew your license and you don't have to send your book in. To me why have to have the license.....the ATF really wouldn't have a reason to investigate you a C&R holder as any different then a person that has no license at all. I mean if they don't want your records when you quit whats the sense of all it besides money for the licenses?

Joe

grumble
01-11-2006, 04:45 PM
The gov't CAN'T keep your bound book. It isn't legal (now) to keep registries of guns.

For an 01 FFL (a regular gun dealer) the store's next owner gets all the ownership records. If there is no next owner, there are some rules for how the records are maintained, but I don't recall what they are. CRS is particularly evident in matters that don't apply to me. <GGG>

Wayne Smith
01-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Another thing to know is that it is a collector's permit. You keep them unchanged. If you change them, sporterize one, or even drill for a scope you have to mark your record "No Longer C&R Qualified" in your bound book and treat it like a new firearm.

Jeffreytooker
01-17-2006, 04:08 PM
I called AIM yesterday and ordered two more rifles. A 7.5 Swiss (hand pick, I now have two) and a Mosin 44 carbine. I have been thinking about the Swiss rifles. Even though I have not been able to shoot my first Swiss yet, it seems that they are very well made rifles for the money. I also believe like others on this list that the .307 bore allows better use of existing .308 moulds which some mould manufacturers have made a bit small for true .308. I have a number of these moulds already. I may use one for CB and the other for ja**eted.

The Mosin 44 carbine is supposed to be re-arsenaled. It will be for things I don't want to do with my Mosin Finn.

I have been calling BATF in Atlanta for the passed two days. Where I use to get a person now all I get is voicemail. Have things changed at BATF?

Jeffrey

btr-cj
01-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Have had mine for about 8 years.

One of the best investments I have made gun related.

Just be aware of how addicting having Mausers and the like shipped to you door can be.

C.J.

Ivantherussian03
01-23-2006, 05:34 PM
OK, Riddle me this....I sent an email to atf.gov asking for an email with a hyperlink to the CRR licensing. No response...that was 2 weeks ago. Saturday, I check my mail and there is the application. I sent no address just my full name. How is that possible?

The application looks easy enough; clock is running

Ivan

grumble
01-23-2006, 05:44 PM
"...Saturday, I check my mail and there is the application. I sent no address just my full name..."

"THEY" are watching. With facial recognition software, "THEY" also might know when you enter a subway, train station, or football stadium. You need to understand that "the right of privacy" applies only to abortion clinics. <GGG>

StarMetal
01-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Well simple.....just type someone's name into Yahoo People search for example and their address and phone number will come up...UNLESS the number is unlisted. But..on that same site page you will notice claims saying they have found Mr XXXXX, but the catch is you have to pay for a subscription.....and those subscriptions will find you even if your number is unlisted and more. No...I don't subscribe to it.

Joe

KCSO
01-23-2006, 06:20 PM
It would take me 10 minutes or so to locate Ivan the Russian from a full name and a return address. We are watching you!

Ken O
01-23-2006, 10:04 PM
It must be sort of like Caller ID. I thought that was invasive, but I like it now. Did you ever type your phone number in a Google search? Then click on Google maps, It give your adress, draws a map, and you can click on the Satelite and get a pic of of your truck in the driveway, pretty scarey! Well, not quite, the satelite pic doesnt have that much detail, but it seems to be improving.