PDA

View Full Version : Frozen lube........?

3006guns
01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
After reading an article about using Trail Boss in milsurps, I decided to try it in my 1903a3. Cast a bunch of Lyman 177 grn., sized to .309 and lubed in my Lachmiller using my usual lube only filling three of the grooves (will be inside the neck) and no gas check. Loads were 9,10,11 and 12 grains of powder...five of each, all carefully weighed.

Now, this particular boolit is a Loverin design, so it has quite a few bare lube grooves exposed. I intended to dip 'n drip the exposed portion in Rooster lube for a little more protection, so I retrieved the bottle from the storage cupboard in my shop. It's frozen! Like a fool I failed to realize that it's based on an aqueous solution, so right now it's sitting on my kitchen table warming up. My question is: will it remix or have I just ruined an almost brand new bottle of boolit lube? After sitting for about 45 minutes it's about the consistency of tapioca pudding.

MtGun44
01-18-2009, 01:15 PM
What sort of lube is based on an aqueous solution??? All that I know of
are various oils, greases and waxes and no water whatsoever, and any
added would not mix anyway.

Bill

3006guns
01-18-2009, 03:28 PM
According to the label it's an "aqueous emulsion"........doesn't that indicate water?

oneokie
01-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Sounds like it is based on a water soluble oil. Similar to the cutting/cooling fluid used in machining.

dromia
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Youngs 303 is an aqueous oil, mixed with 3 parts water it makes Aquoil which was used for cleaning out and nulifying corrosive primer deposits.

Fine stuff indeed.

leftiye
01-18-2009, 05:34 PM
You undoubtedly have your answer by now, it has thawed, and it either stays in emulsion or didn't. Please let US know!

3006guns
01-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, it sat in the sun for about four hours and seems to be returning to normal. Only reason I was upset is that the bottle is brand new......haven't even used it yet! I'll shake the peewaddins out of it to make sure everything goes back together. The delay may have quashed my range time today though.:(

yodar
01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, it sat in the sun for about four hours and seems to be returning to normal. Only reason I was upset is that the bottle is brand new......haven't even used it yet! I'll shake the peewaddins out of it to make sure everything goes back together. The delay may have quashed my range time today though.:(

Emulsinons sometims survive freezing, some don't and the emulsion is thrown out

For emulsions that don't want to be, use Emulsifiers like lecithin powder , just a tiny pinch, is all that's needed to put it into emulsion

yodar

3006guns
01-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks Yodar, I'll keep that in mind if this stuff doesn't restore completely. What really irks me is that I moved everything that could be damaged by freezing into the house back in Nov. Forgot about the bottle stored in the cabinet!

montana_charlie
01-18-2009, 07:27 PM
I'll shake the peewaddins out of it
Probably a bad idea. Those peewaddins may be critical to the proper functioning of that lube...
CM

buck1
01-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Yep peewaddins prevent the formation of whatsits during demagnification.
(Whaaaaaat?.....................,Charlie started it)

MtGun44
01-19-2009, 01:12 AM
Please tell more about this lube based on aqueous solution. Who makes it?
What is it for? (boolit lube or some other 'normal' use?) and how does one
use it?

Bill

billyb
01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
I used this lube on the lee TL style of boolits, good lube. It is a synthitec wax in aqueous solution. The lable says that you can thin it down by adding distilled water at not more than 1/3 by volume. the lube worked well with the TL bollits, I just do not like the process. I have had my bottle for several years, it seperates over time, I will shake it to mix it back, don't mess with those peewaddlins tho. I plan on dipping the tip's of some of my rifle loads to see if it helps. Made by rooster lab's K.C. mo. Bill

Three44s
01-19-2009, 01:29 AM
I ran a hand held air drill to bore holes in Basalt rock to bring power to our then new house ......... and it shook the PeeWaddin's out of me!!!

I would not wish such a fate on anybody or anything .........

Hope your lube returns to normal.

And food for thought ...... try Lee Liquid Alox ...........

Three 44s

montana_charlie
01-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I ran a hand held air drill to bore holes in Basalt rock to bring power to our then new house ......... and it shook the PeeWaddin's out of me!!!
A few years back, we had a concrete slab removed and replaced because the old one had cracked up pretty badly due to frost heaving.

The guy running the jackhammer wasn't much taller than the machine...but he got the job done. After they loaded up the old concrete to haul off, they quit for the day.

I went out to see how compact the ground was where the new slab would be poured...and found peewaddins laying everywhere!

I scooped up a bunch to return, but we never saw the little jackhammer dude again during the rest of that job...
CM