PDA

View Full Version : Setup for a Star Magma Sizer

ddeaton
01-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I had a real hard day with mine yesterday. [smilie=b:
It was the third time I used it, single lube groove 45 acp with 50/50 lube, air cylinder, and heater. Kept getting spots on the nose. So I started making adjustments, one at a time, till I was ready to throw it in the garbage can. Lube would still push out the holes in the die with the handle in the raised position after sizing a boolit. I found this out by pushing the sized boolit through the die with a wood dowel just enough to push the boolit free of the die but not to stroke the lube pump. After the boolit passed the holes, lube would creep out. The next boolit run through, would then pick this up on the nose. I eventually got the temp and the air pressure settings low enough to stop this. I found there is a fine line between having these right. Temp needs to be just high enough to soften but not melt the lube, and air pressure was working well at a little less than 20 psi.
I could turn the air pressure up a little and make the lube seep past the holes in the die. With the temp too high, I got an even bigger mess.
I am going to try a harder lube as soon as it arrives, so I will have to go through this again, but might not take as long this time.
I have a electrical background and see a huge benefit in adding a better temp control on the base heater. Then you could set the temp to a repeatable setting each time and record this temp for each lube. Maybe a little anal and pricey, but would save time and maybe help others. What do you all think?

chrisx1
01-18-2009, 05:38 PM
You found the secret. Back everything off until the lube stops running altogether, then slowly increase pressure and heat until it is where you want it.

The first batch is always difficult, but once you figure out how to properly adjust a Star, there is nothting better.:drinks:

Lee W
01-18-2009, 05:43 PM
I had the same problem. I ended up with a PID control along with the air cylinder.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33940

I use Rooster Zambini lube at 130 F and 50 PSI.

http://www.roosterlabs.com/products.html

ddeaton
01-18-2009, 07:49 PM
I had the same problem. I ended up with a PID control along with the air cylinder.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33940

I use Rooster Zambini lube at 130 F and 50 PSI.

http://www.roosterlabs.com/products.html

I am glad I am not the only one going there. I am going to set mine up with a unit from a automation house I get my controls from. I will post pics and results when finished. I am also going to retrofit my melt pot the same way.
Thanks guys:drinks:

duckndawg
01-18-2009, 08:44 PM
dont feel bad about it. I was setting mine up, dont have all the fancy stuff thow. And it took me two days before i got it right. I felt like a real retard about once i got it figured out.

cajun shooter
01-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Hey Deaton, Looks like you have some southern training; What do you all think? I thought you northern people say you guys. Ha! Ha! I thought you had your Star problems worked out. Is the bullet a BB style? If so these can be a PITA as lube will go past the base. The Star is a wonderful thing but it does have some things that will try your feeling of well being when out of sync. I make my own lubes and find that I have to turn my heat down at just the right time or I get this mess all over. It's at this time that I have to quit and let things cool down. When I have the right setting the Star will have me wanting a break. I could become very anal and write everything down but that would take the fun out of the whole thing. Unless you are doing it to make a living then it matters. Take Care

KYCaster
01-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Once you get the temp. set right for your lube there's no reason to ever change it...EVER. Changing the temp. will guarantee frustration.

Jerry

ddeaton
01-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey Deaton, Looks like you have some southern training; What do you all think? I thought you northern people say you guys. Ha! Ha! I thought you had your Star problems worked out. Is the bullet a BB style? If so these can be a PITA as lube will go past the base. The Star is a wonderful thing but it does have some things that will try your feeling of well being when out of sync. I make my own lubes and find that I have to turn my heat down at just the right time or I get this mess all over. It's at this time that I have to quit and let things cool down. When I have the right setting the Star will have me wanting a break. I could become very anal and write everything down but that would take the fun out of the whole thing. Unless you are doing it to make a living then it matters. Take Care

Cajun, I am right on the southern boarder. I lean a little more towards the south though. The boolits I am sizing now are flat base. I thought I had it figured out and then I started messing with it. :-? I am glad I did, learned a little. I will forget it tomorrow though.

ddeaton
01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Once you get the temp. set right for your lube there's no reason to ever change it...EVER. Changing the temp. will guarantee frustration.

Jerry

I am with you on that one. What happens when you go to a harder lube? More heat?

KYCaster
01-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I am with you on that one. What happens when you go to a harder lube? More heat?

Harder doesn't necessarily mean higher melting temp. Change lubes and you have to start all over.

Jerry

ddeaton
01-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Almost makes me want to buy another sizer. Will have to wait till OB fixes the economy though.

FN in MT
01-19-2009, 11:41 PM
ddeaton,

I've had mine for a few months and have had three BAD sessions with mine. I even had ALOX on the cat one time it was so out of control.

But the 4th try was a charm. Finally figured out that pressure and lube temp IS the key. Also figured out how to adjust the top punch as well.

I've been sizing #429421 slugs like a mad man. That thing can REALLY turn out some boolits.

Don't despair. Take it slow , notice how each adjustment affects the machine and it will soon become clear. When You finally get it going You will be happily surprised.

FN in MT

BigCheese
01-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Maybe this old post of mine will help you filling out the grooves.

If the lube groove is not aligned with the holes in the die, you will have problems with lube where you don't want it. When properly aligned, minimum pressure and temperature are needed. I lube base first (have old Star with separate punches for different bullet noses). For a bullet that has one lube groove:

First, use a vernier to measure distance from the base of the bullet to the center of the lube groove Call this #1. Then measure the distance from the base of the die to the lube holes. (The die will have to be removed from the Star and lube removed to access the holes). Call this #2. Subtract #1 from #2. This is the amount the base of the bullet should be recessed up from the bottom of the die when the lube is forced through the holes.

Use the depth gage at the end of the vernier to span the hole at the bottom of the die. Start a bullet high; keep turning down the top punch and operating the handle (no lube pressure) until the base of the bullet is at the calculated distance above the bottom rim of the die. Once you do this, keep the dimension in a notebook so the Star can be reset when you change bullets.

To make resetting easier, after the setup is complete, you can raise the handle all the way up and use the vernier to measure the distance from the top of the die to the bottom of the punch. Next time you use this die & bullet combination, just screw the punch up and down to repeat this distance.

Hope this helps.

LUBEDUDE
01-22-2009, 04:30 AM
It is a juggling act, that's for sure. It can make a Preacherman cuss like a sailor!

Works one day perfert, next day it is off key, especially if the weather changes dramatically.

Good Luck,

Dave

runfiverun
01-23-2009, 01:59 AM
i let mine set and cycle a couple of times before i use it.
i like big lube grooves so i use low heat and higher air pressure 60-75 lbs..
this keeps the lube from sticking to my hands when i catch them or to the other boolits if i let them fall into the drawer.