PDA

View Full Version : Rifling depth

waksupi
01-09-2006, 09:23 PM
It looks like I will need to have a barrel made, as I can't find the exact thing I'm looking for, for another .358 Winchester. So, I may as well get it made properly for cast bullets. My question is, what is the best rifleing depth? I'll be shooting the Bator Heavy and Lites both, most likely.
I'll have to contact Old Vic after I get it, as he was telling me about a guy down in the Bitterroot Valley, that specializes in chambering cast barrels.

felix
01-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Ric, how serious are you? There is an outfit now making the barrel of my dreams, the design of which I thought of several years ago. Hold on to your hat. That's right, a land style that has 40-45 degree slopes, just like a lube groove in boolits. That barrel won't gather much lube, making land height not nearly as significant. Boolit distortion would be minimized as well. However, there would be a downfall for cast in that this land style would not offer as much resistance up front for ignition. But that can be overcome with load manipulation that has to be done anyway in normal barrels. Yes, I would like to have a land height of say .0045 anyway, with 5-7 lands, twist 15 for your 220-235 grainer boolits. I think it is Harold Broughton, a Houston/Baytown BR man is making them. He has made some fine guns in the Houston area that I have shot and seen. ... felix

http://www.rifle-barrels.com/bore.html

Look at the 5C land configuration

rugerman1
01-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Felix,Is this the type of rifiling you're talking about?
Broughton Rifle Barrels 5C (canted land) barrels (http://www.rifle-barrels.com/)

felix
01-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Yep, the cat's meow 1000 times. ... felix

Jeffreytooker
01-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Yep, the cat's meow 1000 times. ... felix

Well Felix:

I found my way to this thread and went to the links in above posts. I now know what you are talking about. The price is not out of line compaired to other top line barrel makers.

Thank you.

Jeffrey

waksupi
01-10-2006, 12:13 AM
The problem is, they don't apparently make a .35 barrel, and I am locked in on that.
So Felix, .045 minumum is what I'm looking for? What's max?

felix
01-10-2006, 12:34 AM
I'd say no more than .005, Ric. The bigger bores would like having higher lands. I just looked at the site and it looks like Harold's company will be open for another application. 358 would be a natural of course, but he'd probably frown on a 15 twist. 12, 14, 16, 18 are probables, though. A cut barrel would be an obvious choice, and you know those folks better than I do. I would not hesitate getting a Krieger barrel, in fact, within a New York second. ... felix

Bass Ackward
01-10-2006, 07:33 AM
Ric,

Personally, I think you could have .010 tall rifling and only increase your high velocity performance with lead. Your curse there would be that you would probably do better with softer lead. And you would need a longer taper on your reamer to get a gentle throat angle. So since I think of hunting too, I can live with that.

Is this to be a dual purpose or dual bullet gun? If so, then I think ideal height is .005. Copper rifle bullets are simply too hard to conform with a taller height If you get it button made, go .006 because you will lose .001 when the tool marks wear off. If you get it cut, then stay with .005 if they polish the bore before starting the cut. Some do, some don't. You get what you pay for in this case.

357 Magnums have bores to .345. From .357 that is .006 height. Just to give you an idea. And all of mine did super with lead.

I have a newer model 329pd Smith that has the rifling style that Felix talks of and I love it for copper! I absolutely hate it for cast. It was made to get a better seal for hard material bullets that aren't as pliable. I have tried round rifling. I have had octogon bores. And now this angled rifling. For my money, nothing works with soft lead like the real thing.

If you like this sort of idea and you want a cut barrel, some of these companies will cut you a rounded bottom to the land. That is to facilitate cleaning mostly. I shoot soft lead probably faster than most guys day in and day out. I don't lead, so I have no trouble cleaning. But there is a guy at Krieger that competes with lead and will understand exactly what you want if he is still there.

Regardless of your selection, I would try to go with the most drive area you can. Whether you go tall rifling or not, you can get more by increasing the number of drive lands as long as they don't drop the height on you.

felix
01-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Ric, I think BA has a better handle on the situation than I do. I'm just a wishfull thinker here, hoping for a great lead boolit barrel that would be ideal. If you can afford it, opt for the Krieger guy doing the work, assuming he is still there. Anyway, your hunting application does not require a barrel to shoot little bitty groups, so do keep that in mind. ... felix

Doughty
01-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Waksupi

The gunsmith we talked about was Dan Tyler, in Superior, MT. 406-822-4064