PDA

View Full Version : Mold Prep

roysha
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Hello All:

I'm new here but have been lurking for quite a while so finally decided to register. Although I have been casting bullets for over 40 years I find there is always something new to learn.

I did a search for mold prep but apparently I don't know how to use the search function because I sure didn't get what I was looking for.

I normally use NEI Mold Prep and am running low so decided to get more. Ouch!! The shipping is outrageous to say the least, and it's not just NEI. Virtually everywhere I checked the shipping was nearly the same with the price varying a bit here and there. How anyone can justify $10.00 shipping for a 2 oz. bottle is beyond me. I have worked in shipping and receiving and know that there are certain cost factors but I think there is a limit.

So, here is my question, is there an alternate product at a more economical price available?

I have superfine powdered graphite which apparently is the main ingredient in the mold prep but I don't know anything other than that. Can I someway utilize it an make my own mold prep? Does some one have a recipe/formula that they use?

I realize in the overall scheme of things $15 or $16.00 probably doesn't amount to much but it still gripes me to pay that much. OK, so I'm a tight ...... I admit it. :) That is one, actually the main, reason I cast bullets. I have over 75 molds in virtually all calibers except .243 and a couple really odd foreign calibers from .22 to .458 plus RB through .58.
No, I do not want to use flame and such because I use the mold prep more for storage after casting than anything else.

selmerfan
01-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Tight is okay, why else would you be casting boolits! :grin: If powdered graphite is the primary ingredient, why wouldn't a carpenter's pencil work? Just rub it in good and store the mold. I smoke all my molds before casting, and they're still looking good when I'm done, so I just leave them that way. I hoard the small dessicant packs from pill bottles and drop one in each mold container.
Selmerfan

Maven
01-17-2009, 03:07 PM
NAPA Auto Parts stores carry a graphite-alcohol aerosol spray that's much less expensive and works quite well. It used to be called DGF (Dry Graphite Film) 123. Prices range from $7.00 to $10.00 depending on location.

454PB
01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
To each his own, but after many years of screwing around with mould preps (I still have a bottle of the NEI stuff on my shelf) and smoking the cavities, I found that it's not necessary. A good degreasing/cleaning with Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner is all that is required. If I acquire a used mould that has been smoked and/or "lubricated" (as Lee instructs) I then use a more vigorous method, dental picks, and a stiff toothbrush.

If a mould doesn't respond to a simple thorough cleaning, there is something else wrong with it.

Char-Gar
01-17-2009, 05:11 PM
I have used NEI Mold-Prep for twenty five years with complete satisfaction. A couple of year ago I bought three new bottles which should do me for the rest of my life.

If you are not familiar with Bull Plate spru lube, get some! It really works and makes casting much, much easier. The lead sprus fall off the spru plate like water with this stuff.

44man
01-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Rapine mold prep might be less expensive and shipping should not cost any more it cost him to send it.

e15cap
01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Forget the mold prep and use a pencil.

montana_charlie
01-18-2009, 12:40 PM
For me, 'mould prep' is an external treatment of the mould.
It prevents lead from sticking, and eliminates galling between the mould top and the sprue plate. NAPA's aerosol graphite spray is what I use.

'Lubrication' is used on screw threads, pivot points, and the sides of locating pins.
Microscopic amounts of anti-sieze compound provide that service.

The internal surfaces...cavity and faces...are kept free of ANY foriegn substance.
CM