PDA

View Full Version : .22 hornet super speed???

mainiac
01-09-2006, 07:32 PM
was shooting my stevens 322 hornet last weekend,and forgive me but i was shooting sierra 45 grain sp .223 bullets. Shot a load of lilgun just under max,and chrono,ed them at a average of 2930 f.p.s. This is about 200 f.p.s. faster than it should be. Is it the small diameter bullet or the lilgun powder ,or could my pro chrono finally gone coo-coo? The load was consistant, 30 E.S. so i dont really think its the machine. Was shooting my 222 rem also and that one was going 3100 or so(in the ball park) Am wondering why this load is so fast? Was shooting this rifle with the 225415 bullet,but gave up on it because unless pushed real hard,the bullets would key hole.Read somewhere that this rifle has a 16 inch twist. I havnt said how this gun shoots,,,, you wouldnt beleave me if i told you how this thing groups!

bobthenailer
01-09-2006, 08:05 PM
hi i also got some high velocity from little gun ,the load was at the recommend max with nosler 40 gr ballistic tip in a 14 " tc almost 2800 fps i think the charge was 13 or 14 grains but thats the same max powder charge for the 45 50 & 55 grain bullets the only down side was that the accuracy was not as good as 12 gr of lg and its still going i think 2650 fps out of a 14" barrel

mainiac
01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
forgot to mention,,, i am using win small pistol primers instead of rifle primers,,, could this be the reason....

C A Plater
01-10-2006, 06:03 AM
When you say fast than it should be, what do you mean? I've been able to exceed 3000fps in the hornet with 35 grain bullets using LilGun and H110. H110 is at the limit but the LilGun shows no pressure signs even at case full charges. I don't use H110 in the hornet any more and have aquired a pound of Alliant 410 to give it a go and see if it has the same small case magic that LilGun has.

mainiac
01-10-2006, 09:13 PM
by fast, i mean that with 2 grains less powder,i get about 150-200 f.p.s. more velocity than any of the manuals claim. Am using the 45 sierra .223 bullet.

35remington
01-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Here's one for you. I have a .22 K-Hornet, and 12.5-12.8 grains of 'Lilgun gives 200 fps faster velocities using LESS powder than they show in the regular Hornet.

I loaded it to equivalent levels (what was max in the regular Hornet) and I got speeds that made me say oh damn-this is way too fast, therefore certainly an overload.

After I compared notes with other Hornet shooters, I'm not so sure about that. It's that this stuff really runs in the Hornets is what it comes down to.

Great powder. My K likes Accurate 1680 also.

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2006, 06:23 AM
what kind of Chrono are you using. Ive boughten two chronys and both had to be sent back to the factory for recalibrating. Both showed about 200 fps faster then the loads actually were

MTWeatherman
01-11-2006, 02:07 PM
At the range last summer I had a conversation with two .22 Hornet shooters using Lil'Gun. The two were together getting ready for a varmint hunt. I don't remember the details...bullet weights, velocity etc. However, they said they had higher velocity and better accuracy in the Hornet...without any apparent pressure increases than any other powder they'd used. It confirmed what I'd read elsewhere.

Reason the conversation came up is that they discovered I was using Lil'Gun in a .44 Mag Carbine. The powder delilvers a performance increase to the 429244 bullet I use in it. I've used H110 in the .44 for many years. No longer...Lil'Gun meters well, and compared to H110, delivers equal or better performance, isn't prone to leaking from slide type powder measures, doesn't need a magnum primer...and allows one to safely use less than maximum loads. I'm loading up the last of the H110 and burning it up in my SBH. When its gone, Lil'Gun will be my choce for heavy loads for both carbine and handgun. Lil'Gun also works well in the .357 in delivering high velocities at lower pressures than other powders. Hodgon says those .357 pressures they publish are not errors...check them out.

Problem with Lil'Gun is somewhat limited reloading data at this stage. My guess is it would work well in a number of cartridges there is no data for. However, suspect this will change as more discover what an excellent performer it is.

Since the favorable use of Lil'Gun in the Hornet is already well established, it seems to me that you just further confirmed it.

mainiac
01-11-2006, 05:47 PM
i use a prochrono,bought about 7-8 years ago. thought that was the problem,but was shooting my .222 and getting velocity of around 3100 f.p.s. (just about right for the load) It must be this powder.....I can just see hodgdon discontinuing about now!!!!!!!!! think i will stock up just in case! Also shoot a heavy load in my single-six .32 mag, 1150 f.p.s.,and the cases just fall out of the chambers.