PDA

View Full Version : Buying lead ignots

TFin04
01-16-2009, 08:26 PM
New guy here, hope this is the right place. I wanted to run a few things by you guys.

I am a training/competition shooting junkie. I normally load plated bullets but have done a bit with lead stuff because it was cheap. I load for 9mm exclusively.

It is my understanding that lead prices are extremely low right now. Even though lead is not my preferred bullet, I think it would be wise for me to stock up on some lead while it is cheap, in case bullet prices continue to rise or become unobtainium.

A few questions:

- What's the going rate for a pound of lead? Any places you'd recommend?
- Are there different types of lead? What type do I need?
- Does my above theory make sense? Again, I don't intend on casting right away, I just want to stack up a couple hundred pounds of lead in my garage for a rainy day.

I apologize if this has been hashed out already. If there are links you can provide, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

docone31
01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I have seen on E-Bay, several people who have wheel weight ingots. Quite a few in 100lb lots.
My 9mm easily digests wheel weight without issue. I use the 124gn TC Lee mold. Works real well. I water drop, pan lube, size, hit paper real well. No issues other than the first batch I had .001 too far out.
Once I changed that, no hangups, no leading, nothing.
I would consider just getting mucho ingots, and using them as you go.

lunicy
01-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Wheel weights and range lead will shoot out of a 9mm as is.

The going rate on E-bay is about a buck a pound. You can find cheaper if you search.

If you smelt your own, you can get them really cheap or free.

Silicon Wolverine
01-16-2009, 10:25 PM
wheel weights are the best bang for your buck. heres a hint. go buy about five dozen fresh doughnuts. stop by your local car or tire shops about 10AM or so. say hey guys i brought some doughnuts for you for coffee break. by the way, do you have any old wheelwieghts to get rid of? i netted 400 lbs in a single day that way for 50$ worth of doughtnuts and a few hours of time.

SW

TFin04
01-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Good tips, glad to hear it. I will see what I can do with wheel weights. I have a gallon milk jug of them, but could certainly use more.

I've done a bit of searching, am I right that if I buy 99% pure lead I would need to mix some tin into it in order to properly cast them into bullets? I may still buy some ignots, but I'll focus on wheel weights for now.

Echo
01-17-2009, 01:09 AM
I've done a bit of searching, am I right that if I buy 99% pure lead I would need to mix some tin into it in order to properly cast them into bullets? I may still buy some ignots, but I'll focus on wheel weights for now.

Depends on who you talk to. My answer is to add up to 2% tin to reduce the surface tension of the molten alloy, allowing it to fill the mold completely. Two percent ain't much - 10 pounds of WW's would need a touch over 3 ounces.

Some others will say adding tin is unnecessary.

01-17-2009, 01:14 AM
I scouted around for some wheel weights and came up dry. Most of the larger retail chains said they had a contract where someone comes by weekly to pick them up. I am going to try to check with some smaller mom and pop shops.

Meantime, I got 55lbs for about 50 bucks shipped in ingots off ebay.

DLCTEX
01-17-2009, 10:50 AM
If you buy on Ebay be wary and elicit assurance that the ingots contain no zinc. Zinc can mess up a large batch in a hurry, particularly if you ladle cast as it rises to the top of the melt. Also if you smelt WW take steps to remove zinc wheel weights. There are many threads here on zinc problems and solutions.