PDA

View Full Version : Hard lube for pistol bullets?

Wilson
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I’m down to my last stick of the hard lube Magma sold me when I bought my Star a few months ago. That lube is very hard and must be heated a lot to flow. I like the fact that it stays in the lube groove and doesn’t get all over. I’m casting 147 and 125 grain pistol pullets in large quantities (20,000) and store them in buckets. The problem with soft lube is it gets all over the bullets and slowly fills up the seating die which in turn progressively seats each bullet deeper. Does anyone have any recommendations on a similar lube I could make? Or maybe one not quite so stiff that would stay put?

01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
IF the hard lube is working for you and you have a heater base why change? i like lube from rusterbright there zabmez lube. i think it may be a little softer but only a little. i bought a case , 25 sticks, of there 2" x 6" . i made molds out of 1 " pvc pipe and pour 6" sticks at 1/3 the price for reg 1x4 sticks. i think magma also sales the 2" sticks. i do not get any leading nore do the 4-5 people i cast for. if you wanted softer you could buy some like larson or oyhers and ann when you melt the 2" sticks.

357maximum
01-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Wilson

This will get you real close to your basic hard pistol lube you are seeking. Melt it all together over low heat or in an improvised double boiler...not your wife's ...get your own cookware..trust me on that one.[smilie=1:

1/2 lb pure beeswax(beekeeper or Board members Blammer or RandyRat)
1/2 lb canning paraffin(Grocery store)CANNING SECTION
4 very generous TABLESPOONS Vaseline(grocery store)
1 BLUE YALEY Brand Candle dye block (Michael's /Hobby Lobby)

runfiverun
01-17-2009, 01:07 AM
for my hard lubes i use the magma stuff as i still have some.
but prefer jakes ceresin. it don't need as much heat as the magma stuff but a bit more pressure.
i also use a mix of lars's red,50-50 more like 70-30, jpw, and some of jakes for a softer "hard-lube".

cajun shooter
01-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Wilson, Where are you in this state of ours? I think you need to try out the White Label lubes in your Star. The supplied lube is 50/50 so you might want to try the BAC or the RED. The BAC will flow once it gets a little boost. The RED needs a steady heat. At the bottom of the page you will see LAR's 45 LS STUFF; go there. If you are close to me I have some you can try for free. If not pay for the shipping only.

Bret4207
01-17-2009, 08:46 AM
I believe Glen Larsen (LAR) makes a hard lube. He's a member here. His link is at the bottom of this page. Scroll down and click on "Lar45's LsStuff".

mooman76
01-17-2009, 11:16 AM
I use Rooster Red. It's a hard lube too. It was recommended to me and it works great on both pistol and rifle. A hard lube also work out a little better in hotter climate.

Wilson
01-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the offer Cajun Shooter. I'm from near Thibodaux. I've contacted Lar45's and will make an order. I'd like to try the recipie that 357 Maximum gave to. I just need to track down some bee's wax.