PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Say Howdy and I Have a Question

sanberdoo49
01-16-2009, 03:18 PM
After lurking around here over the last year or so, I finally joined up. Believe me, I have greatly benefited from the combined knowledge so freely shared! I was first exposed to casting bullets when I was around 14 years of age. My Dad and I learned at the same time and were greatly aided by a senior shooter. Of course, in those days you shot three handgun calibers--22, 38 and 45acp. We did our casting for the 38 and 45 using a set of used equipment we bought from an old timer who no longer could shoot due to health problems. Then, for me anyway, girls became a bit more important than lead casting. While I was chasing women, my Dad continued to cast and shoot. He passed away a while ago, and left me with a huge stack of casting alloy he had prepared at a foundry here in southern California. My cousin, who lives out of state, would like me to send him 300 pounds of the stuff and I know I can use the postal service flat rate box, but I understand it is wise to put the alloy in a wooden box and then place the wooden box in the postal service box. That is my problem and my question. If anyone has the time, I would sure appreciate if you could describe one of these wooden boxes. I suppose I could come up with something on my own, but I would much prefer to benefit from the knowledge of some of the experienced guys on this site. By the way, while the girls still look awfully good, I find life to be a bit more peaceful sitting at the casting/loading bench these days! I hope I placed this in the right spot on the forum.

dromia
01-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Welcome aboard sanberdoo :-D:drinks::-D.

Can't help much with your question I suppose I'd just knock something from what was on hand.

I'm sure someone will be along with the more professional approach your looking for.

Seems like your sorted for alloy.

bbs70
01-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Welcome Sanberdoo49.
I have been a lurker for a while myself and decided to join in on the fun a short time ago.
I also have been wondering how to ship lead with a flat rate box.
I'm sure people here will come up with a lot of ways to do it.

But yesterday I had the idea to put the ingots in smaller boxes (4x4x4) I had on hand.
I used 4 of these boxes, filled them with a total of 50 lbs of lead.
Sealed each one with heavy duty tape then fitted them into the flat rate box and used a piece of styrofoam I had to take up empty space between the smaller boxes so they wouldn't move around.
I then dropped the whole thing from 2 feet and it didn't bother a thing.
However, with the post office handling the package, who knows if it will stay intact.

I will be watching this thread to see if there is a better way to ship lead, you're never too old to learn.:-D

I have been married for 39 years and I also find life a little more peaceful when I'm casting or reloadind.
I have a wonderful wife, but sometimes it is good to get away by your self.:mrgreen:

catkiller45
01-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't see why you couldn't make something from 1/4 inch plywood and use that..It should be strong enough..Just a thought is all...

9.3X62AL
01-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Welcome aboard, SB49!

I've not shipped ultra-heavy amounts of alloy by mail, but even the smaller weights ship a LOT better if anchored in a motionless state within the parcel. Loose is bad. The wooden reinforcement sounds like a great idea, just make sure the contents are isolated from movement somehow.

BTW, I'm a San Bernardino native living in Ridgecrest now. I sure wish I had a cousin willing to ship me 300# of casting metal! Yer a good man.

copdills
01-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Welcome to the forum and Howdy

clintsfolly
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM
to ship what i do is make a 1/4" plywood board just little smaller then the flat rate box then use stretch wrap to hold the lead on the plywood drop into the box. top pack with news paper tape like mad ship and know the box will not burst open have fun clint

southpaw
01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
I have been using 2 corrugated flat rate boxes. I tape the heck out of the first one and then put it into the second one that is taped very well but not so much that the po gives you trouble ( they will try just about any thing to get out of having to lift these heavy boxes, at least the ones around here do) tip: use clear tape insurance and delivery confirmation. this help keep the packages from getting lost. best of luck.

testhop
01-16-2009, 06:04 PM
welcome aboard
i have bought linoand it was shiped in a flat rate box he cut 1/4 plywood to fitin the flat rate box snugly taped on all sides and bottom loaded 50 lbs of linotype iun then taped the top
worked just finethe plywood gaved the stringh needed

docone31
01-16-2009, 06:10 PM
I would go with the 5mm Luan underlay. Home Depot, and Lowes have cut up pieces.
It doesn't weigh as much as 1/4 and does the same job.
Cheaper also.

Willbird
01-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I might use OSB board myself, I had some left over from other things and have thus used it for a lot of other things than what I bought it for. It is very strong in compression, which is what we need. If I were doing a lot of them I would band the osb box together so it would just fit in the FR box, probably band it both ways with steel or plastic banding.

mooman76
01-16-2009, 09:53 PM
I got one of those fiber envelopes the post office has. The ones that are so strong you can't tear them, you have to cut them open and then I put them in a flat rate box taped up real well.

1z-bar
01-16-2009, 11:27 PM
I've shiped lead before by reinforcing the inside of the flat rate box with double thick carboard, cut from a box. I used straping tape on the outside. I made sure I stayed under the 70 lb. limit! I didn't want to give any of the little old post office ladies a heart atack.:lol:

Buckshot
01-17-2009, 03:57 AM
.............I think a cardboard box inside another cardboard box is the way to go. I was buying steel, alum, and brass remnents and drops from a guy on E-Bay and that's the way he'd ship. Sometimes the boxes would be all beat to heck but had never burst or otherwise lost any contents.

As others have mentioned, keeping the contents motionless is VERY important. I'd use 2 flate rate boxes and alter one so it'd go inside the other. Pack it and then armor plate it with duct tape. Place inside the other and tape with nylon reinforced tape.

I could just about hit Berdoo with a BB gun from where I live in Redlands. You shoot at Inland?

................Buckshot

DLCTEX
01-17-2009, 10:42 AM
I use what I have in my shop as I'm a carpenter and electrician. I usually use wood wall paneling since it is out of fashion and I remove a lot of it, but the luan mentioned is good. I cut pieces to fit and glue the pieces together at the edges and glue the pieces to the postal box as I assemble the pieces using Liquid Nails (in a caulk tube). Then use clear strapping tape, double on the corners. I have shipped up to 35 lbs. this way and it makes the ladies feet fly off the floor at the Post Office as they try to lift it off the counter, I'd like to watch them try a 70 pounder.

sanberdoo49
01-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for your many great suggestions! I think I will play around with a few of them and try to find the easiest method given my limited carpenter skills. Yes Buckshot, I live in San Bernardino and have sent many a chunk of lead down range at Inland going all the way back to (I hate to admit it)1963 when the setup was pretty primitive given today's facilities. I sure wish their trap, skeet and 5 stand ranges were back in full time action.

Jerry