PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday was a GREAT day

Matt_G
01-16-2009, 09:22 AM
I started the day off reading this forum (quickly becoming one of my favorite past times), then decided to look at GA and GB for Ruger Bisleys.
I have been wanting a Ruger model RB-45W (45 Colt) for a long time.
Found two of them, one at $479.95 used and one for $549.95 NIB. Hmmm.

I then started calling gun shops, really not expecting to find what I was looking for. Bisleys seems to be a little hard to come by these days.
Third store I called said he had one and the price was $450.00. I was a little stunned that he even had one there and as such, I didn't ask if it was new or used.
I told him I would be down later in the day to look it over.

About 10 AM my wife called and asked if I would like to have lunch with her and her folks. I said sure, I'll be there.
At this point I have to say that I love my Father and Mother-in-law like my own parents. They just don't come any better!

Well, I get down to the restaurant about 11 and my wife tells me she has something for me. We walk over to the car and she pops the trunk, and lo and behold there is two five gallon buckets (each half full) of wheel weights!
She said she knew I had been looking hard and she decided to ask the guys at the shop that does work on the company trucks. She then tells me that was only half of what they had and that she will get the rest tomorrow. What's more, they were free! :-D
I then inform her that I found "that gun" I'd been looking for and I was going to go look at it. She asked how much and I said $450. She said "If it's in good shape go ahead and get it." :mrgreen:
Have I mentioned how much I love my wife? :-D

So we have lunch and as we are getting ready to leave Lowell (my wife's Dad) asks me if I would like to come by the house and see the new gun he bought. Sure!

I get over there and Lowell opens the gun safe (which I had never really seen the insides of before) and pulls out the Springfield Armory XD(M) in .40 S&W.
Not a bad little gun, though it looks very weird to me seeing a gun of that type without a hammer.
All in all though, it's a nice gun. Fit my hand very well, it just felt good. A gun of this type could grow on me.
He then starts showing me his other stuff.
He had numerous Garands in there. Really nice stuff he got through CMP back in the sixties. Several M1A's and '03A3's as well.
Then he shows me the Gov't issue Remington Rand 1911 still in the box as it came from the armory. Manufactured in March 1945, and in 100% condition. Very, very nice.
The prize though, at least IMO was a S&W Model 13 Military and Police with a 4 inch barrel in .357 Magnum. He told me he had bought that gun in 1963 and had only fired 2 cylinders full through it. It hasn't been touched since then.
Absolutely beautiful piece. :drinks:

He then asks me "Don't you own a .270 Winnie?"
Yep, I sure do. "I have a couple of things for you."
He then gave me a L.E. Wilson cartridge gauge for my .270. Still in the box with instructions and all. He said he had no use for it because he didn't own a .270.
We then head out to the garage and he gives me a 3 gallon bucket heaping full of wheel weights!!
He told me he had started to collect them years back because he thought he might try his hand at casting. That never happened, and he said it never would now, so I might as well have them.
Naturally I told him if he ever wanted to try loading some cast, to give me a call and I would be more than happy to cast a bunch up for him. He said he might want to try some of my 230 gr. round nose for the .45 ACP. :Fire:

So by know I'm feeling pretty darn good.
I headed over to that gun shop in the People's Republic of Boulder to look at that Bisley. As I start to look it over, it becomes obvious that this isn't a used gun. It's BRAND NEW!!
Needless to say, I start filling out the paperwork. In about an hour the background check is done and he rings it up. $486 and change. I asked, didn't you forget the fee for the background check?
He says "That's included in the price of the gun."
Wow, a good deal just got better!!

So that was my day yesterday. I got 1 and 3/5's 5 gallon buckets of WW's for free.
A cartridge gauge for my .270 Win for free, and a heck of a deal on gun that I have been wanting for a long time.
It just doesn't get any better than this folks.
Am I blessed or what?!
Life is very good. [smilie=w:

cabezaverde
01-16-2009, 10:24 AM
And Matt G has a mold from me on the way to him..

Hooked Bad, ain't you Matt?

SWIAFB
01-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Matt G, does your wife have a sister ?

sniper7369
01-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Wow, it doesn't get much better than that. :drinks:

Gunslinger
01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Dammit!! Too late again :shock:! I always finish second or third when it comes to calling dips on wifes' sisters or other female relatives!!

Man, you a lucky dude!! Especially in regards to the weights! I'd say the Mrs. deserves to be taken to dinner or otherwise spoiled :-D. She's a rare breed that one.

Congrats on a good deal on a fine piece of firepower. It will never cease to shock me how cheap guns are on the right side of the pond!! We have to pay close to $900 for a new Ruger Blackhawk and $1300 for a new S&W 686 :roll:

Matt_G
01-16-2009, 11:03 AM
And Matt G has a mold from me on the way to him..

Hooked Bad, ain't you Matt?
Yep, and have been for a long time.
I have a Saeco mould coming from madcaster also. [smilie=1:
Swallowed it hook, line and sinker. Spit up the sinker and put it in the pot. ;)
Been casting since the early '90's. I'm just new to this forum.

Matt G, does your wife have a sister ?
Yep, four of 'em. They are all happily married though, sorry. :-)

mike in co
01-16-2009, 11:11 AM
the only real problem is he need a passport to get into boulder, and then there are the inspection lines come back out.

did they let you keep the gun, comming back into the states ?

mike in co
(aurora)

Gunslinger
01-16-2009, 11:26 AM

4?? Hmmm... then there's enough to share :-D. Tell them that the young danish guy slings his willie as well as he slings his gun, he he!

Slinger you should be ashamed of yourself :???:. I know... and I am :roll:

Matt_G
01-16-2009, 01:16 PM
did they let you keep the gun, comming back into the states ?
[smilie=l:

Yep, got out unscathed. The only thing that irks me is putting tax $$$ in their coffers.[smilie=b:
I've been known to go WAY out of my way to keep from doing that. Problem is, I think he had the only one on the Front Range, and I sure wasn't going to beat that price anywhere!
Every cloud has a silver lining though. I figure if he has the intestinal fortitude to keep a gun shop open in the People's Republic, he deserves the sale.

mike in co
01-16-2009, 01:32 PM
To keep from paying sales taxes in denver, i have parts sent to an aurora distributor, and pick them up there.
Not an option on that gun

mike in co

bbs70
01-16-2009, 04:15 PM

Is there such a thing as happily married?
Just kidding, I've been married for 39 yrs and am quite happy with the one I got.

Buckshot
01-17-2009, 04:07 AM
...........I was reading Matt's story and the computer ( I-Tunes party shuffle going on) comes up with Marty Robbins' "My Woman, My Woman, My Wife". What tming, eh ?:-)

................Buckshot