PDA

View Full Version : 7.35 Carcano......again

John-n-va
01-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Was given about 100 rounds of the original 7.35 ammo dated 1939 along with the little Rifle. I fired 6 rounds just to see if it would still work and it did without any problems.

My problem is that there is a "ridge" inside the case mouths that I suppose was put there to limit seating depth of the boolits. I would like to reload these original cases since brass is rather expensive for this cartridge but really don't know how to remove this "ridge" without a lath and I don't have a .300 or .301 reamer anyhow. For that matter is it safe to remove it in the first place? It looks like it extends down to the shoulder and might weaken the case at that point!

I was able to remove the berdan primers using the "hydraulic method" but the primers mic .204 and just fall out of a normal boxer case. Are all berdan primers this size? Beginning to look like this is gonna be more trouble than its worth!

Buckshot
01-09-2006, 09:57 AM
.............John-n-va, Graf & Son sells the brass at prices comparable to 308, 7x57, 30-06 etc. I agree that the Norma brass at $75/100 is steep and about what I paid for my M38!

YOu're correct the military brass has a step inside the caseneck. As a further complicaiton the Italians used a non standard Berdan primer. You're out of luck in re-using that brass. Keep it as an artifact. Buy 100 cases (6.5x52) and some Lee 7.35x51 Dies from Graf & Son.

Merely lube inside the casenecks and run the 6.5mm cases up into the die. What you will remove will be superb 7.35 Carcano brass! Piece of cake. Graf also carries Hornady 128gr SP .300" slugs for these rifles. But since we're a cast boolit type operation I'm glad to inform you that most any cast lead 30cal slug up to about 150gr may be sized to .300" - .301". Then loaded and shot to heartwarming results out of your M38 Carcano.

The model 1938 Carcano's in 7.35mm have extremely tight chambernecks, and throats. My M38 has a .301" groove and a throat to match. I made a push through sizer to turn .308" lead slugs into .302" slugs and there are faint scrub marks on the caseneck. Very important you slug the chamberneck, and then slug the throat and barrel. If you can do a Cerrosafe casting that would be best.

You can also turn casenecks to allow a bit fatter slug to be chambered too.

Take care of those packet clips. The Carcano extractor is very tough and will not snap over the cartridge rim without severly mangeling it (the rim) in the process should you think you can single load it. You WILL need those spring steel clips!

.................Buckshot