PDA

View Full Version : gas piston damage

superior
01-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Can I use bullseye in my sks with 312-160 TL for a reduced velocity load that wont cycle the action without removing the gas piston? I've read somewhere that piston rod damage can occur from the use of these fast burning powders. Is there any truth to that?: Also will it ruin my cases due to shoulder set-back from the primer blast without drilling the flash hole out? I've heard varied opinions on that one.:confused:

Larry Gibson
01-15-2009, 11:34 PM
You won't damage the gas piston on an SKS. Try 5-6 gr with that bullet.

Larry Gibson

superior
01-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks Larry!

Bret4207
01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Don't drill out the flash holes! That's asking for trouble. Here's a link to an SKS article here and if you go to our sister site www.castpics.net and look under "Member Articles" there's a real good one on the SKS and cast. Actually, there are a LOT of good articles there!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13453

Larry Gibson
01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
It's not necessary to drill out the flasholes on the 7.62x39 case with such loads. I disagree with Bret that it's "asking for trouble". Myself and others do it with cases that it benifits all the time. I've also loaded those cases with pretty heavy regular cast bullet loads (311299 to 2200 fps with 4895 in a .308W) without any problems of "blown primers". However, one should keep such cases marked and segregated so as to not use them with high pressure jacketed bullet loads.

Back to the 7.62x39. I shot one case 50 times (WW case with LR primer) using 2.7 gr of Bullseye under a 90 gr HBWC. The rifle was my Mini MK X. I did not even have to resize the neck. I just deprimed, re-primed, charged with powder and thumb seated the bullet. There was no increase in case headspace (measured every 10 shots with a Stoney Point). I gave up after the 50 shots and just threw the case back in with the others for that rifle.

Larry Gibson

Bret4207
01-17-2009, 08:57 AM
It's not necessary to drill out the flasholes on the 7.62x39 case with such loads. I disagree with Bret that it's "asking for trouble". Myself and others do it with cases that it benifits all the time. I've also loaded those cases with pretty heavy regular cast bullet loads (311299 to 2200 fps with 4895 in a .308W) without any problems of "blown primers". However, one should keep such cases marked and segregated so as to not use them with high pressure jacketed bullet loads.

Larry Gibson

That's what I was thinking of Larry. I guess I should have made a full explanation.

Bret4207
01-17-2009, 09:08 AM

Larry Gibson

That's what I was thinking of Larry. I guess I should have made a full explanation.