PDA

View Full Version : I'm puzzled on how you would use this tool?

qajaq59
01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Forster Universal Hollow Pointer http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=635851

I wonder if anyone in here is using one of these devices in their Forster case trimmers to make hollow points. It looks like you would use it after the bullets were already in the case. But if you did that how would you know how much the bullet weighed when you were loading it? Or do you do one in a dummy round, pull it and then use that weight for the rest?

Qajaq

odoh
01-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I never mastered it myself. Its been awhile IIRC the real problem was w/concentricity of the hole. Called Forster and they were no help. Tossed it into a 5 gal bucket of bad ideas. YMMV

AZ-Stew
01-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Don't worry about the weight. You've (presuambly) already loaded the boolit using specs for that cartridge and boolit weight. All the hollowpointer does is remove a few grains of alloy, making it lighter. If anything, this makes your load safer than it was with the solid. In any event, the amound of alloy removed is miniscule compared to the overall boolit weight. As odoh says, your first concern is concentricity (I've used it and had no problems), the second is being sure your HP is a consistent depth among the boolits you modify.

Regards,

Stew

Tom Myers
01-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Forster Universal Hollow Pointer http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=635851

I wonder if anyone in here is using one of these devices in their Forster case trimmers to make hollow points. It looks like you would use it after the bullets were already in the case. But if you did that how would you know how much the bullet weighed when you were loading it? Or do you do one in a dummy round, pull it and then use that weight for the rest?

Qajaq

Just weigh the loaded round before you hollow point it and then weigh the round after you holow point. The difference between the 2 weights is the amount that you subtract from the bullet weight

Hope this helps.

Tom Myers
Precision Ballistics and Records (http://www.tmtpages.com)

Larry Gibson
01-15-2009, 10:49 PM
I've been using one for years and find it fairly easy to use. I've the adapter for an electric screwdiver for the Forster case trimmer which helps a lot. I've bothered to weigh a few of the drillings and subtracted that from the bullet weight. Don't really do that too often as the load is already worked up.

I use the 1/8" Forster with several .30/.31 cal bullets, it's a favorite with the 358156 and the RCBS 35-200-FN along with most of the .41 and .44 cal cast bullets I use. I also use it with the Lyman 457483 (GC'd version of the 457124) at 1900-2000 fps in my Siamese Mauser 45-70 and am now using it with the RCBS 45-300-FN in the 45-70 at about the same velocity.

I like the Forster esecially with GC'd SWCs for the .357, .41 and the .44 cast really soft and driven hard. Expansion at magnum revolver velocities (1400+ fps) is very good. These bullet cast soft and HP'd are the equal of any jacketed HP. They kill much quicker than the same SWC cast hard and not HP'd.

Below is a picture of a mag of .30 Carbine rounds ready to go. Bullet is the 313631 cast of WWs + 2% tin. At 1950 fps out of the little M1 Carbine they are deadly on called in coyotes. Also pictured is the RCBS 35-200-FN HP'd with the Forster and loaded in the .35 Remington for my rebarreled M91 mauser. At 2200 fps it is big medicine on deer.

Larry Gibson

docone31
01-15-2009, 11:22 PM
That has me convinced.
I like the 35.

sniper7369
01-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow, I think I need to get one of those for my 9mm and .45 boolits.

Bret4207
01-16-2009, 08:41 AM
I have limited experience with mine. You have to get your dies set so that you have a minimum degree of runout to start with and the COAL has to be consistent, lube build up in the seater can be an issue here. I use a power screwdriver too. It works fine once you figure it out, but you have to watch things 'cause they can change quick.

I even HP'd some jacketed FN stuff. That led me to think about a way to use the Forster with just the bullet/boolit and not a loaded case. A collet type rig that held more of the bullet/boolit would work. Still haven't made anything up yet. If the Forster collet was deeper it would work too and that pretty much what I was going to try and make up.

Boerrancher
01-16-2009, 08:56 AM
My only question is will the drill fit in a Lyman case trimmer?

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Pepe Ray
01-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Boerrancher;
TSA is NO. the Forster shank is the same as the Redding. RCBS and Lymans are BOTH different. Don't think the Hornady is either but not sure.
Pepe Ray

GH1
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I used a 5/32" drill bit in my RCBS trimmer, but I had to cut the bit length to 1-1/2".
Can anybody tell me if making a HP is worth my while using a cast bullet with a BHI of 16-18? It's going to be used in a .357 levergun.
GH1

Larry Gibson
04-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Assuming you mean "BHN" I would say no. That is to hard to give any meaningful expansion unless the bullets is light enough and you enough barrel to drive it at 1800 fps. Then the nose will probably just blow off if anything. Suggest an alloy of 50/50 WW/lead in a GC mould in the 1700+ fps range. Might even want to try 40/60 WW/lead or even a 16-1 lead -tin alloy.

Larry Gibson

GH1
04-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the input Larry. Right now I don't have casting capabilities so I'm restricted to commercially made bullets. Which is okay I guess, I'll just have to assume there'll be no expansion out of my rounds. I ought to have plenty of penetration though.

reloader28
04-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I have the 5/32 bit like GH1 said for my RCBS.
But I also have the 1/8 and 1/16 Forster hollow pointers and use them too.

But, to make them fit my RCBS trimmer, I had to chuck them in my drill on the bit itself. Then spin it while I held a file to the shank and basically milled down the shank til it fit the RCBS. Its really easy to do.

I really like the 1/16 bit 3/8 deep in my 95gr SP RCBS 243 boolits. Perform with explosive results on rabbits and varmints.:drinks:

Rocky Raab
04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Then there's the clever option:

Put the bullet back into your mould, chuck up a drill bit a wee bit smaller than the sprue hole and set the press for 1/8" depth.

Perfectly concentric, consistent depth - and dead simple.

GLL
04-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Rocky:

Hollow Base ?

Jerry

geargnasher
04-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Rocky:

Hollow Base ?

Jerry

Nose pour????

Gear

GLL
04-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Nose pour????

Gear

Gear:

I thought about that as well but not many of those around. :)

Jerry

Rocky Raab
04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I was thinking nose-pour, of course. But we've been watching our two-year-old grandson for three days while his parents move into a new home.

My mind is a bit frazzled, as one can surely tell!

As Rosanne Rosannadanna used to say: "Nevermind!"

GLL
04-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Two-year-old for three days ! Grand kids are great but you have my complete understanding ! :)

Jerry