PDA

View Full Version : LLA dip vs. tumble

Iheartguns
01-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Hello everyone -

I'm getting ready to start casting bullets for my Springfield XD45. I'm intrigued by the LLA and have read all the posts about it.

Instead of tumbling, would it be possible, like Ranch Dog, to just dip the groves ONLY, let dry and load? I'm hesitant to tumble and make everything messy.

Also, I'm shooting, primarily an XD45 - is it necessary to resize the bullets if they drop correctly from a .452 mold?

Thanks,
Andy

looseprojectile
01-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Andy. Welcome to Cast Boolits!
The process you propose will work very well.
We here most always like a lot more information, such as the mould, the alloy, boolit weight, powder and such. Report back as to how your method works. I do the same with some of my castings, though I try to avoid all that handling of the boolits and just tumble lube them.
Life is good

mroliver77
01-15-2009, 01:23 PM
RD does use a lite coating of TL first and then a dip.
I dont see why a dip wont work unless the lite coat causes it to hang on and not flow off. I just bought a RD mold and followed his directions to lube it. What a pain! It does perform well with no leading but I hate alox! (liquid earwax) I will be lubing in Lyman die from now on.
J

1Shirt
01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Dipping works fine IF the blt is long enough only without gettin the ends of your finger and thumb covered with mule snot.
1Shirt!:coffee:

mooman76
01-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Also as an alternative you can spread a little LLA thin on some wax paper or similar and roll them through to coat with something like a paint stir stick and set up to dry.

shotman
01-16-2009, 04:12 AM
heat it and do what moonman said

earplug
01-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Order a bottle of Rooster Bullet Jacket, tumble lube, let dry and you have bullets that feel like 22 LR bullets or dry lubed wadcutters.
They have been working fine in my revolvers and don't mess up my seating die with round nose bullets. or SWC's.

870TC
01-17-2009, 01:18 PM
I put on 1 or 2 coats of LLA, then a coat of Rooster Jacket = no more sticky!