PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #457122 (HP) hunting loads/alloys, etc.

4570forever
01-15-2009, 10:30 AM
I am consiering purchasing a Lyman #456122 Gould 330gr HP) mold to use in a modern Marlin 1895 (no crossbolt safety - does NOT say MG) and an 1895 SS Guide Gun (Ballard rifled). Primarily hunting Whitetail deer.
I am looking for a load/alloy/lube that will give minimum leading/maximum expansion/ranges to 200/250 yds w/reasonable trajectory/and a large exit wound for large visible blood trail if shot is not a "boom flop".
Don't want much do I?
Thanks
HL

clintsfolly
01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
too much would be a good looking gal to gut and drag your game !!!!!!! everyone needs a fantasy (sorry that mine) have fun clint

35remington
01-15-2009, 09:32 PM
4570, it's a plainbase bullet. It would be difficult to get velocity high enough with accuracy to guarantee expansion to an optimistic 250 yards, even if cast of fairly soft alloy. Asking for good accuracy, flat enough trajectory for 250 yard shooting, good expansion and minimal leading with this bullet is an order you're not gonna be able to fill.

Your trajectory would have petered out long before then, as realistically you're looking at shooting these at about 1500 fps and under in most instances.

How about figuring on finding a good, accurate load for woods ranges and leave the 250 yard shots for something else? Accurate and good expansion you can get.

A 250 yard range you won't get. That's hoping for the moon with a plainbase, relatively low velocity 45-70 bullet. It's a woods range bullet and with trajectory limitations and velocity loss 150 yards is more realistic. That's really not much of a handicap.

It's a good bullet for what you envision, just not as far shooting as you want it to be. For that matter, 250 yards is a bit too long a poke for most any normal cast 45-70 levergun bullet. Even with a gascheck or anything else. Tube levergun bullets are rather blunt.

Bret4207
01-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Have to agree with 35, 250 yards is a looong way with that 45/70. 100-125+ yards is more like it. It's not that the boolit won't do the job, it's trajectory that'll defeat you. By the time you get your sighting equipment dialed in for max range you'll be shooting way high at normal ranges.