PDA

View Full Version : Pot usage, and Lino?

Timberland
01-15-2009, 05:32 AM
Hi guys, Im new here, and new to casting. Im looking foward to getting started this weekend and have a few questions. I have nice Linotype ingitos, but no lead yet. Should I wait till I aquire PB or can I just use pure Lino? It will be going out of a .45 apc, and I have LEE 230 RN molds.

Secoundly Im using an outdoor stove top setup, Do I need a cast Iorn pot, or can I use another cheap allulinium or SS pot?

Thanks!

fivegunner
01-15-2009, 06:18 AM
Welcome abord. you are at the best forum to learn about casting bullets, And the people here are some of the best I have found anywhere! :Fire::castmine: as to you questions Lino is great for making bullets , but it`s best uses should be used to make a good bullet alloy by mixing it with softer lead like wheel wieghts or lead pipe ect. get a CAST IRON POT. like a dutch oven type. read all the post you can find about melting lead. go slow and be safe.

No_1
01-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the board. +1 on what fivegunner said and do not use an aluminum pot. You can get a cheap stainless steel pot from walmart for under $10 and be just fine. Since you are new to this, you may not realize the value of linotype. You can cast it into boolits but you will kick yourself in the butt later when you think back to the time you had some lino and wasted it. There are many on our board who sell lead, check the swapping & selling section. You can also find it at your local scrap yard but do not pay too much. Some have had good luck with local tire stores by walking in with a 12-pack of beverage to use as a trade.

You can mix the lino with pure lead for a good shooting mixture, trade the lino maybe 1 for 2 for wheelweight ingots or just shoot it as is. I would suggest you save the lino until you actually need it for a specific application.

Robert

Robert

largom
01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
As already said SAVE YOUR LINO. Lino is expensive and hard to come by, will get even more so in the future. For your 45ACP you can just use lead with a little tin added or mix with wheel weights. If you should start casting for high vel. rifle boolits in the future your lino will valueable as a hardener for your alloy. Welcome aboard to the BEST site on the web.
LARRY

Timberland
01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I found LINO at a decent price, but It does seem expensive to waste on a pistol. I will look into cutting it down, or just saving it.

But it is real hard to find WW at any price. Alot of people make a living off scrap in my area. But I cant wait till I can say :castmine:

JohnH
01-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Gee, for a minute there I was gonna suggest that a beer while smelting that lino would prolly be a better idea ;)