PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use straight Lino for boolits?

mikenbarb
01-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Im wondering if anyone uses just straight lino type for boolits? I got a bunch today and usualy make a #2 with it but im thinking this may be pretty good as just a straight boolit alloy for targets.

waco
01-14-2009, 10:00 PM
i have almost 500lbs of lino and have cast lots of .44 and .357 with it.
both of these molds are swc with gas checks.
works best with full power loads so the bullet will upset enough to not let the hot gases pass the bullet. If loaded down, you will actually have more of a problem with leading.
at least this has been my experiance.
hope this help you.
waco

waco
01-14-2009, 10:04 PM
p.s.
not good for a hunting boolit.
too brittle by its self.:castmine:

mikenbarb
01-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Im looking to just cast them for my .300Win.Mag. for punching paper because I already have a great hunting boolit of a softer alloy.
Thank you.

454PB
01-15-2009, 01:10 AM
I've cast a lot of straight linotype boolits. They should work fine for paper punching......and they sure are purdy!

Pepe Ray
01-15-2009, 09:32 AM
I FEEL about casting straight Linotype boolets about like so many of you do when I recommend drilling and tapping an old Winnie for receiver sights.
And so now you know the r----
Pepe Ray

R.C. Hatter
01-17-2009, 01:43 AM
In my experience, linotype is fine for punching paper with rifle bullets, however, it is too hard for hunting purposes. The bullets are somewhat brittle, and tend to shatter on game.

dromia
01-17-2009, 01:55 AM
I have a couple of cwt on hand usually but rarely use it straight, I find it more cost effective to use it for hardening up softer alloys when needed.

It will make good boolits but fit is crucial.

cajun shooter
01-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Mike, Although you can use the linotype for casting as is, I find it has a better use. It is perfect for taking different alloys and making them harder. If you have some pure lead and want to make some good pistol bullets, no problem, just and some lino.

smokepole
01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Im wondering if anyone uses just straight lino type for boolits? I got a bunch today and usualy make a #2 with it but im thinking this may be pretty good as just a straight boolit alloy for targets.

I have used linotype for years..I use half lino and half wheel weigh (w/clips and ingoted out) make a boolit that is harder than woodpecker lips and shoots well in my 300 Win Mag at about 1800 f.p.s with no leading.:-D