PDA

View Full Version : bullet lube

mdgyro
01-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi all I am new here thanks for letting me join your community.
I am just now getting into casting my own bullets I would like to know what is the best all around lube to use. I am leaning toward a lee sizer and alox does this work well.

JSnover
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Welcome aboard! I doubt you'll find a 'best' all-around lube. There are plenty of good ones, get some samples and you'll find one you like.

pdawg_shooter
01-14-2009, 06:07 PM
White Label BAC, IMHO.

Kuato
01-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Welcome!.. I use Alox for pistol at moderate velocity with no problems. I also use my own lube mix for pistol & rifle. What calibers are you casting for?

There is no All round lube. you'll have to experiment with different types for your given application & see which works best. But thats part of the fun!

A good place to look for different lubes is Lar45's site (link at the bottom of this page). His lubes are highly regarded. LEE sizers & Alox would work just fine. Later on you can get into different lubes & different sizers i.e. Lyman, RCBS SAECO, Star, etc...

mdgyro
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I will be loading for 45acp 44 mag and 9mm for now

atr
01-14-2009, 07:21 PM
I've been using Lyman "Super Moly"I like it for several reasons.....its doesn't get hard and stiff in cold temperature and so it always works easily in my unheated Lyman 45 sizer....
also I've never had any leading problems using it....normally I am loading my boolits between 1600 fps and 2000 fps

Cherokee
01-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Lar's red, see link below. lyman & lots others also good, more expensive.

dromia
01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
I will be loading for 45acp 44 mag and 9mm for now

Welcome aboard. :drinks:

Liquid Alox should be fine for those calibres in pistols, as always in cast boolits good boolit fit is the key.

For good lubes including liquid alox check out Lars White label lubes as has been already recommended, link at the bottom of the page.

Kuato
01-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Welcome aboard. :drinks:

Liquid Alox should be fine for those calibres in pistols, as always in cast boolits good boolit fit is the key.

For good lubes including liquid alox check out Lars White label lubes as has been already recommended, link at the bottom of the page.

Agreed. I use LEE Alox for 9mm, 38spl & 357 Mag. No leading problems. As for the calibers you're casting for, you shouldn't have a problem.

Just like dromia said, "good boolit fit is the key.."

mdgyro
01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
thanks for the replies