PDA

View Full Version : Ponsness/Warren Questions

38-72
01-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Does anyone use either the Ponsness/Warren Metallic II or the Metal-Matic P-200 presses? Are they any good? Have you had any problems?

Buckshot
01-09-2006, 05:48 AM
....................I think Deputy Al does. If he doesn't see this before too long send him a PM.

................Buckshot

Beau Cassidy
01-09-2006, 08:17 AM
I use one as well. I really like it but you have to be careful or you will forget to throw a charge. It would be foolproof if you had an arrangement that would throw the powder automatically when the case was under the measure ala Dillon. I like it because you don't have to buy any expensive conversion kits. It is a very sturdy press. The Metallic 2 looks like it would be a good press but is much more $.

Beau

bobthenailer
01-09-2006, 08:19 PM
hi i had a P 200 for a couple of years but when the dillon came out i sold it . it worked very well for me and i loaded a lot of rouns on it with no problems i sold it to a frend and he is still useing it .

9.3X62AL
01-09-2006, 09:33 PM
I really like mine--although I suspect my recent stuck j-word critter in the Marlin 25-20 was caused by failure to dispense powder as per Beau Cassidy's advisement. MY FAULT--not the machine's. I was likely under the influence of a grandson, one (or more) of the Amazon Horde, or some combination of that Disturbance Cartel. Rule #01.133.005(C)--DO NOT LOAD AMMO WHEN DISTRACTED.

The P-W system makes a lot of sense for someone already deeply invested in single-stage dies and shell holders, and who loads small to moderate counts of cartridges in a number of calibers. It's not as fast as a Dillon, but MUCH faster than one-at-a-time. If you only have to buy dies for 3-5 calibers, I think the Dillon would be a better idea. I was looking at buying 12-13 die sets for the then-extant Dillon systems, so that was a non-starter for me. Also, I don't really load enough of most calibers to exploit the production advantage a fully progressive system enables.

I use the P-200, which is good for just about all the handgun calibers plus hyphenated W-W rounds like the 25-20 and 32-20. 22 Hornets did well when I loaded those, and there's enough clearance to do 223's--although I resize on the Rockchucker first, then process the rounds on the P-W. If I still had the HK-91 or M1A, I wouldn't hesitate to get one of the larger rifle machines. Again, I don't shoot enough of any caliber to justify the outlay right now.

waksupi
01-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Al, how did you solve your stuck bullet problem? It may be a good thing to post here for further and future knowledge. Maybe even a new thread in gunsmithing, for people to tell how they have dealt with this? I'm sure it will happen to me some day. Last time I remember, was about twenty years ago, shooting a friends reloads in my old Sharps Business rifle. No powder, but easy to remove.

9.3X62AL
01-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Comments made on the Gunsmithing portion of the board. A powder checking step wouldn't be hard to incorporate on the P-W machine, the cases are easily removed at any step of the loading process.

Beau Cassidy
01-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I find myself doing more 'spermentin than anything. Should I desire and eventually get a whole hog GOOD progressive press, I will keep the PW for loading the smaller batches of ammo to test. It is much easier than one at a time. Not that single stage is bad. I used to batch pistol ammo in large runs of over 1K rounds. After about 20 years of doing that I wanted something a little faster. I have used a few progressives to include Dillon. I just haven't been satisfied (or is that happy?) with any of them. A couple of years I bought a Star Universal, a powder measure with shutoff, an adjustable powder bar, and a bunch of different powder measure bars. Everything is sitting in the corner. Go figger.

Beau