PDA

View Full Version : 41 Special

pdawg_shooter
01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know of a smith who can convert a Colt Python to 41 Special for me?

mikeyd499
01-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Bowen or perhaps Clements.

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2009, 08:00 AM
i dont think clements works on DA guns anymore. If i were you id give Alan harton a call.

Cherokee
01-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Ya might want to give Andy Horvath a try up here in Ohio. He does all my work.

FN in MT
01-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Have You looked at the going prices for most ANY Python lately?? A Smith L frame may work as well. They are far cheaper and available. I've got a spare 6" blued Python barrel if You need it. Was going to do a Smython but old K frames are so dear I've lost interest in the project.

WOULD be a sweet carry gun though. A four incher??? Whats the plan?

FN in MT

missionary5155
01-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Good afternoon
Itīs not a special but I bought one of the 5 shot 41 Taurus Titanium last time up and that is a nice pachage. I like the idea of a S&W L turned into a 5 shot... maybe with a 3.5 barrel..

FN in MT
01-15-2009, 04:14 PM
5155......... S&W has done it......M-696 L-frame .44 Special with a 3" bbl.

There would be quite a fan base IF they could get the .41 Special SAAMI spec'd. Then have Smith do an L frame 3" clone of the 696 but in .41 Special. What a great carry gun!!

FN in MT

pdawg_shooter
01-15-2009, 04:48 PM
I am a Python fan and just happen to have a 4" blue extra. I think a 41 Spl. 4" would make a fine carry gun.

Kuato
01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
hmmmm. 41 Spl...Oh yea, they make those. It's called a 40 S&W......

LOL

smkummer
01-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Seller is a little "misleading" in the description. If you ask Colt they will say they never made a 41 python. So its a conversion. Don't know if it would be safe to fire with full loads as the forcing cone area is very thin.

runfiverun
01-17-2009, 12:50 AM
why don't you just load a "special" load in the mag case?
4.5-5 gr titegroup will have you thinking you are shooting a bb gun.

dakotashooter2
01-17-2009, 01:52 AM
why don't you just load a "special" load in the mag case?
4.5-5 gr titegroup will have you thinking you are shooting a bb gun

One could however there are a couple nice things about the special length case:

Ejection is a bit easier

and in the case of my Tarus the 230 gr lead bullet I like, seated in the standard 41 case to long to chamber.

And in at least my gun I find the specials to be more accurate for some reason

runfiverun
01-17-2009, 02:30 AM
trim them down.
load is nearly the same as i use in my 44 special.[which is 4.0]

Boerrancher
01-17-2009, 07:40 AM
One could however there are a couple nice things about the special length case:

Ejection is a bit easier

and in the case of my Tarus the 230 gr lead bullet I like, seated in the standard 41 case to long to chamber.

And in at least my gun I find the specials to be more accurate for some reason

+1 to what Runfiverun said. Trim them down until your pet boolit will chamber and load to the 41 Special Specs. Problem solved and no gunsmithing bills.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch

Joe

pdawg_shooter
01-19-2009, 09:21 AM
I STILL want a python in 41 special!

leftiye
01-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Brownell's has some custom cylinders for single actions. Their tech dept. is very helpful and they might hook you up with someone who would make you a 5 shot cylinder if you want one.

Otherwise a good gunsmith can ream out your chambers the extra .040 approx. (including chambering) and any of various barrel makers could ream and re rifle your barrel. You would definitely need to do some investigation as to how much pressure the resulting thinner chamber walls and barrel shank would be able to resist. As was said, an N-frame in 41 mag would be cheaper, more valuable, and shoot 41 mag. loads also.

C1PNR
01-19-2009, 06:35 PM
I STILL want a python in 41 special!
I hear ya! Except what I want is a S&W 44 Spl. 4" and No, I don't want any "T Ranch" type.

So I talked with my local Buckhorn Guns and now have a M28 somewhere in the process of becoming what I want courtesy of Hamilton Bowen.

Were I you, I'd contact him direct and just ask about your project. Maybe it can be done, maybe not. But after talking with the "pro" you will know one way or the other.

Good luck on your quest!:wink:

pdawg_shooter
01-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Bowden says yes, no problem. Big Problem...mucho bucks! Think the project just died a painful death! Anyway, thanks all for the replies!

HeavyMetal
01-20-2009, 08:34 PM
So let's see if I got this right: your "stuck" with an extra Python?

I don't think thats a bad thing! Bear in mind the project you want done requires a buttload of special machine work not to mention the smith that does this work now excepts a bunch of liability with the job. Liablity never goes away so some funding has to be directed at that issue.

Suggest you call Bowen back and see if he has a hankerin' for something he ain't got!

Wouldn't be the first custom smith that did a little horse tradin if you had something he wanted.

pdawg_shooter
01-21-2009, 02:25 PM
So let's see if I got this right: your "stuck" with an extra Python?

I don't think thats a bad thing! Bear in mind the project you want done requires a buttload of special machine work not to mention the smith that does this work now excepts a bunch of liability with the job. Liablity never goes away so some funding has to be directed at that issue.

Suggest you call Bowen back and see if he has a hankerin' for something he ain't got!

Wouldn't be the first custom smith that did a little horse tradin if you had something he wanted.

Do you think he would trade for my wife?

Lloyd Smale
01-21-2009, 03:08 PM
i think smith is making the 44s fixed sighted that arent thunder ranch guns now. I think theyve also got a run of stainless 3 inch adj sighted ones. Not that would be a cool gun.
I hear ya! Except what I want is a S&W 44 Spl. 4" and No, I don't want any "T Ranch" type.

So I talked with my local Buckhorn Guns and now have a M28 somewhere in the process of becoming what I want courtesy of Hamilton Bowen.

Were I you, I'd contact him direct and just ask about your project. Maybe it can be done, maybe not. But after talking with the "pro" you will know one way or the other.

Good luck on your quest!:wink:

HeavyMetal
01-21-2009, 04:05 PM
pdawg:

I am not much of a diplomat so I won't touch the wife trade line for anything!

I was think more along the line's of gun related stuff.

Seriously: we all have something we'd like to have and some of those things are way out of production. Bowen is no different than any other guy: if you have something he wants he deal.

Like I said call and ask him you never know it maybe something you know about??

Once upon a time I bought a 1957 Johnson outboard motor from a guy next door to me. Thing had a scored piston and he'd looked for 5 years and couldn't find one.

Knew a few people in the boat industry in those days and found a piston in less than a weekbecause I asked had the motor running in a drum of water 8 days after I purchased it.

MY theroy is all someone can say is no, so why not ask!

C1PNR
01-22-2009, 04:28 PM
i think smith is making the 44s fixed sighted that arent thunder ranch guns now. I think theyve also got a run of stainless 3 inch adj sighted ones. Not that would be a cool gun.
Oh yeah! IIRC it was two of the Lou Horton specials in 3" M24 I was looking at, and planning to buy one, when I found my 6" M57. I couldn't afford two guns, and he did have 2 of the M24's, so I bought the M57 and thought I might get lucky my next trip, but they were both gone when I next got down there.:sad:

That was at Fowler's Gun Room in Orange, CA in 6/98. I was on a business trip to the area and just got lucky on the M57.

IIRC again, some years ago one of our LEO friends here picked up a Lou Horton M24, with the custom holster. I do believe I offered him a chance to make a little money on his purchase, but he wasn't having anything to do with that idea!:hijack:
Sorry about that.