PDA

View Full Version : .56 Smoothbore Conicals

Neslie
01-14-2009, 04:10 AM
I picked up a T/C .56 Smoothbore last year for sentimental reasons (my departed friend Graybeard owned one) and have only shot a handful of round balls that I purchased. Accuracy was acceptable for my abilities. I subsequently bought a T/C .56 RB mould but have not cast with it yet.

I was wondering if anyone has tried conicals in this make and model of barrel, and what were the results. I know Lyman has two moulds (557456 and 557489) that are close to the bore size but don't know if these are specifically for cartridge reloading. I don't want to waste time searching for and buying a mould that I can't use. After all, what attracted me to muzzleloading in the first place was the relatively low cost per shot.

And/or, If anyone has these moulds, could I buy a handful of cast boolits to experiment on my own?

Thanks,

Neslie

Johnch
01-14-2009, 01:31 PM
I would think without rifling to spin a standard conical to stabilize it
It would just tumble

You might get a Mini ball type conical to stabilize , as it would work would work like the Forester type shotgun slugs

John

Doc Highwall
01-14-2009, 07:28 PM
As long as it is only 1-1/2 calibers long max it should work for 75-100 yards.

Pioneer2
01-14-2009, 07:54 PM
It sounds like a .56 Renegade TC. Also can be a 28 gauge shotgun! TC publishes loads.I don't think many got reliable hunting accuracy much past 50 yards will the ball load? Harold *** A jug choke will give FC patterns