PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done this????

jasdebcr
01-14-2009, 12:13 AM
When reloading a 30-06 case with a boolit has anyone belled the mouth of the case like you would a pistol case? (357 mag) if so what did you use? did it make it easier for the boolits to slide in the case? i am having problems with some lead shaving off to the side. and or not fiting very well in to the case.

thanks for and help

44mag1
01-14-2009, 12:35 AM
I use an 8mm mauser bullet to bell mine cause Im too cheap to buy a special die

JW6108
01-14-2009, 12:36 AM
I have a Lee Universal Case Expanding die:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=140461

It slightly bells the mouth of any case. It has two pieces inside that you arrange (with the help of an enclosed diagram); the arrangement is based on the length and bullet diameter of what you are working with. I highly recommend it.

EDK
01-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Lyman makes a special die to expand case necks for cast boolits; called an "M die." Look in the Lyman die section...they are somewhat caliber specific....like long or short. Available at Midway, Grafs, etc.

I just got one for my 30/30 MARLIN COWBOY for cast boolits....and the group buy mould for 311041 plain base from GARANDSUS will be fired up at the first opportunity....Thank you, sir.

:cbpour: :redneck::Fire:

docone31
01-14-2009, 01:00 AM
When I first starte with casting/paper patching, I used a drill bit to wobble the case mouth open. It worked ok, but as I got closer to the size I needed, the drill bit would open the case but the die would not work with it.
I used Lee Collet dies.
I sent off the dies to be opened up and I got the Universal Expander Die. I am not really sure I like it that much though. It really bells the case rather than a gradual taper.
It does make a difference in loading though. With the plain castings, I got shaveings. I used the drill bit for the paper patches. I did not want the patches to tear.
Using the drill bit gave me more control over a larger expansion. The Universal Die makes a sharp bell. I am still adjusting it, getting closer every time. It only needs a little to work.
I found, unless I used boat tail jacketeds I had to have some belling. I used to get shaveing no matter whether lead, or jacketed. I used to use the case trimmer to angle the inside slightly.
Yep, I done that.
It works.

Pavogrande
01-14-2009, 02:10 AM
For the last 40 some years I have used the 310 expander die/plug (.311) from my 32/20 tong tool set for belling 06, 30/30, 30carb and 30/40 cases -- use a 7/8 adapter die when using it in a press -

HeavyMetal
01-14-2009, 02:22 AM
when I do cast for my 30-30 I have a Lee Universal belling die.

I've also been experimenting with pistol rounds using this and a special expander plug that that is turned to .0005 under boolit diameter.

Very versatile, get one and be happy!

Dale53
01-14-2009, 02:50 AM
The Lyman "M" die expands the mouth of the case about .002" over the bullet size in a straight (not tapered) manner just a short way into the case. This gives you near perfect bullet alignment. I have several of those.

When I shot a lot of competitive BPCR I had/have a Lyman Turret press set up JUST for BPCR reloading. Spence Wolf's book on the Trapdoor Springfield showed, with drawings, a way to turn a custom expander for the Lee expanding die. The Lee system doesn't use threads on the expander (it's a floating expander) and you or your lathe owning friend (everyone needs a lathe owning friend:mrgreen:) can turn a custom expander that works exactly like the Lyman with the assurance that the dimensions YOU require are maintained.

Since your problem is with a common .30 caliber cartridge, I would suggest the Lyman "M" die is the easiest way to go. You will LOVE the way it handles expanding chores for you and it will put an end to bullet shaving (you should NEVER put up with bullet shaving).

Dale53

EMC45
01-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Lee Universal.

rhead
01-14-2009, 07:06 AM
I use needle nosed pliers. You will get a feel for the amount of resistance. It is real low.

Bret4207
01-14-2009, 07:49 AM
I have the Lee Universal expander and a few M-dies. I prefer the M to the Lee, but generally just use a set of needle nose pliers that have a rounded outside surface. One twist and she's done. The Lee I use on short hard to handle cases like 32 S+W.

MT Gianni
01-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Lyman makes a special die to expand case necks for cast boolits; called an "M die." Look in the Lyman die section...they are somewhat caliber specific....like long or short. Available at Midway, Grafs, etc.

I just got one for my 30/30 MARLIN COWBOY for cast boolits....and the group buy mould for 311041 plain base from GARANDSUS will be fired up at the first opportunity....Thank you, sir.

:cbpour: :redneck::Fire:

The M die has replaceable plug inserts for different calibers. You do not need one for each cartridge you shoot, just a different caliber plug.

Blammer
01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
I always flair my cases before loading lead boolits.

dk17hmr
01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
For 30 calibers I use the plug for my 32-20 dies, it works as is in the 32-20 die if its a short case, 30-30, 308, 300 savage, for long cases like the 7.62x54, 30-06, I put the plug in a 45-70 die.

blackthorn
01-14-2009, 12:14 PM
If you are frugal (cheap) like me, you can make a tool to expand case mouths. Simply take a 30-06 case, run it into a .280 die to 1/8" from the shoulder to neck it down to .284" (ID), then run the same case into a .270 Win die to size the neck to a depth of 1/4", then fill the case with lead for weight and to add inner strength. This will create a tool with enough strength to last for years. It will bell the mouths of cases for loading cast bullets in 7mm, .30 and 44 cases, the first "step" for 7mm created by the .270 die, the .30 caliber "step" created by the 7mm die, and the shoulder/case body for .44 - 45 case mouths. Place the case base down on a solid surface, put the belling tool in the case mouth, and rap gently with a light hammer. Have a great day!

Junior1942
01-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I use needle nosed pliers. You will get a feel for the amount of resistance. It is real low.+1 on the needle nosed pliers if you don't have or don't want to use a Lee expander die.

looseprojectile
01-14-2009, 01:29 PM
chamfer has always been my friend when trying to seat boolits. A good funnel at the mouth of the case will be much larger than any boolit you can shove in there.
If your boolits are very soft you may have to use a larger expander to keep from sizing the boolit as it is seated. Works for me.

Life is good

missionary5155
01-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Good afternoon
I have a center punch that is 1/2" diameter that is tapered from the small point to the 1/2" diameter. As stated above.. case head on flat surface and a small "Rap" with a small hammer. You get the feel for the rap easy enough.
God Bless you !

EMC45
01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Used the shoulder on a self setting punch to flare my cases before getting my Lee.

Hardcast416taylor
01-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah!! Rhead and Junior 1942 on the needle nose pliars. I can only add that there are many sizes of the pliars, I prefer the smaller size for the mouth flaring. Do it slowly till you get a feel for what you want. :castmine: Robert

fallout4x4
01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
+1 on the center punch

DLCTEX
01-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Lee Universal expander, I got varying results with everything else except the one M die I have (9mm). I set it to expand only the minimum amount necessary to keep from shaving the boolit. I don't work my brass more than absolutely necessary.

bishopgrandpa
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Another voice for the M die. Especially if you are doing a lot of them at one sitting.