PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weights marked "AL"

Shuz
01-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Today I smelted about 65 lbs of wheel weights and there were many in the bunch that were marked "AL". They appeared to be way too heavy to be aluminum, the symbol for which is AL, so I thought I'd make sure they weren't something like zinc that would contaminate my alloy. I made sure my melt stayed below 700 deg F. and they all melted fine. Perhaps these are so marked to be used on aluminum wheels? ?Quien sabes? Anyway, don't discard any weights so marked and keep your melt temp below 700 deg F.--Shuz

dominicfortune00
01-13-2009, 08:43 PM
WW used on aluminum wheels are either painted with a metal flake like silver paint, or are coated with nylon.

Quite possible that's why those were marked 'AL'.

Down South
01-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Those with Al on them are standard wheel weights that are painted for aluninum rims. The paint on the WW helps keep from tarnishing the wheel rim plus it matches the color of the rim better. Melt them down just like you would regular wheel weights. T he paint will burn off.

Crazy4nitro
01-14-2009, 01:02 AM
Ha ha..Free Flux

'Nitro

j20owner
01-14-2009, 02:42 AM
The paint is stinky-poo. Pretty much all the weights I get have the paint on them. Makes for lots of dross.

Russel Nash
01-14-2009, 02:48 AM
^^^ My turkey fryer has a timer on it, so I just let the dutch oven cook...err... literally burn and flame that paint off.

When I hear it go ding and it shuts off the burner, I know my melt is done and all the paint fumes are long gone.

I am somewhere else in the yard, fiddling around... killing time. Away from all the smoke and fumes.

j20owner
01-14-2009, 02:50 AM
I have one of those burners with the dinger. Didn't know what it was for. I use the other burner and it doesn't shut off.

EMC45
01-14-2009, 06:34 AM
I think those come from Alabama.

JohnH
01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I think those come from Alabama. Yea, Yea, That's the ticket, AL wheel weights should only be used in the state of origin. If ya use 'em in Washington, all you'll get is misses. Save yourself the frustration nad send 'em to me for proper use.

mtgrs737
01-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Wheel weights have different coatings to reduce electrolytic reactions with the wheel metal. The AL means they are approved for use on Aluminum wheels. The guys at the tire shop I get most of my WW's from schooled me on this.