PDA

View Full Version : Does lead harden over a short period?

hotwheelz
01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
I cast some boolits about a week &/12 ago got around to sizing them today and they sure seemed hard to size compaired to usuall. I usually size same day or next and have never had an issue. I am running wheel weights { IM not water dropping just onto a towel } and usuing a star luber sizer..

AZ-Stew
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Assuming they're not pure lead, yes, they will harden a bit after a few days. Not nearly as much as water-dropped or heat treated, but a couple of BHN points.

Regards,

Stew

Down South
01-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Same as stew said. try some just after casting and see if there if there is any difference.

randyrat
01-14-2009, 06:35 AM
I beleive it takes about two weeks for WWs to get to their peek hardness.

I smelt sometimes in the dead of winter anything above zero, sometimes my wws will sound like they are hard as rock the next day. They are not up to stuff yet,they are just cold lead. Unless mine are similar to water quenched from the super cold air and cold surface they are dropped on.............

I don't like to test lead unless it was smelted/poured in a warmer temp and has had a couple weeks to rest.

hotwheelz
01-14-2009, 05:29 PM
The boolit is a lee 175gr tc when I mic. the as cast bullet its .403-.4035 and Im sizing it to .401 this doesnt seem to much to me but my star is not liking it at all. This may sound funny but should I be lubing these bullet with something before sizing I can see the handle on my star bending slightly when Im sizing these bullets.