PDA

View Full Version : I'm BAAAAAAAAACK!

kernal_panic
01-13-2009, 10:22 AM
No not Barack Obama or gun kid.

I used to be on the old Aimoo cast boolit forum.

kinda got out of casting when I found a local source of bullets. well that source has run dry alas. so i'm looking to fire my equipment back up again.

someone from the old aimoo board sent me a lee six cavity 358 inch flat point mold. don't remember who it was.

anyway I think on payday I'm going to order up 3 lee 6 cav TL molds.

i've still got some lee alox laying about but whats the hot setup for TL these days. anyone come up with anything less sticky and messy?

i'm going to be molding up 124 grn truncated cones for 9mm, 357/38, and 357 sig, 175 grn truncated for 10mm auto, and 230 grn round noses for 45 auto.

9.3X62AL
01-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Welcome back, Kernal!

I'm not a tumble lube user, can't help with that--but I'm sure someone will amble along shortly with The Latest and Greatest Method for that task.

PatMarlin
01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Welcome back to cast boolit heaven Kernal! ..:drinks:

looseprojectile
01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Try this with the Lee liquid alox. Thin it a lot with some kind of thinner, I use barbeque lighter fluid [cheap]. Put a hundred or so boolits in a zip lock bag and add a tablespoon or so of the thinned alox and massage. Dump them out on a paper on a cookie sheet, I stand mine up on the bases, don't need to.
Then heat them with a hair dryer or industrial heat gun till they are hot. This chases off the thinner. In a few minutes when they are cool they can be loaded.
I also have been applying a thin coat of paste wax on top of the LLA using the same method of heating in a plastic bowl to speed up the process, leaves a shinier bore.
I have seen good results shooting the Ranch Dog .44s in the .445 supermag and .44 magnum with boolits treated in this manner. The RD boolit in the S&W .50 will go 1300 with good accuracy and no leading as will the .44s. Also shoot the same
.44 magnum ammo in the rifles at near 1600 with no leading and good groups.
It appears that it is unnessary to slobber a lot of lube on the Lee microband boolits.
Welcome back.
Life is good

jack19512
01-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Try this with the Lee liquid alox. Thin it a lot with some kind of thinner

I have to add a caution here. You can thin it as much as you want but be very careful of thinning it a lot with the wrong kind or too much thinner and trying to keep it in the original LLA container.

It's kind of a long story but this happened to me tonight. I like thinning the LLA myself and I must have used too much/wrong type thinner and the thinner wanted to seriously destroy the original LLA container. My thinner was acetone. The only thinner I had to use.

Buckshot
01-14-2009, 03:49 AM
..............Paint thinner does a great job of thinning LA, and it won't dissolve the bottle!

.................Buckshot

Avery Arms
01-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Welcome to the dark side Kernal:-D

I have used linseed oil (dry for a day or two) and Johnson's paste wax (heat bullets and wax) for light loads.

PP

Bret4207
01-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Welcome back Kernal! I remember you well.