PDA

View Full Version : can we cast with LEAD CAME for stained glass?

Tumtatty
01-13-2009, 09:28 AM
I have a source for a hundred pounds or so of "lead came" used in making stained glass projects.

It's an allow with a bit of tin, alimony, copper and bismuth (i think). Very soft stuff.

Can it be used for casting boolits? If so could I do a 50/50 mix with wheelweights to get a proper hardness?

Thanks!

Tom Herman
01-13-2009, 09:37 AM
This was discussed a few months ago. Treat it as plain old soft lead, and have fun!
I also use a 50/50 alloy of scrap lead to wheel weights (plus 2% Tin), and this is my standard alloy. I've used it up to 850 FPS, and it works great for me!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

missionary5155
01-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Good morning
I use the same scrap when in Illinois.
I keep this mix seperate and segregated. I use it as is and do not lable it PURE. As such it can be mixed with WW and works just like Pure. Casts very nice ! Just plainly mark these mixes.
Unmixed it makes good soft cast boolits. I use it in my BPCR 45-70 with 2F. I use it in my Muzzle loaders (54-- 69) and revolvers.
The really GREAT part is this stuff is real clean. I do not bother making ingots. I just add as needed .. do a simple flux and cast on.
I have a freind who saves his scrap for me and I take him a box of donuts.
I wonder how many gallons of hot liquid i drank out of my canteen cup ??
God Bless you !

Shiloh
01-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Yup. Works fine, casts great.

I used to be able to score a small supply from time to time. It is very pure so I mixed it with lino and/or wheelweights.

Shiloh