PDA

View Full Version : Bad weather, good time to cast

Dale53
01-13-2009, 02:24 AM
The weather is somewhat less than wonderful here in SW Ohio and it is about to get a lot worse. We're only going to get a couple of inches of snow tonight, but the temperatures will be dropping and in a couple of days will be below zero. We mostly have mild winters but this one is looking like "global warming" is not going to be a problem. Now, we don't have near the bad snow and high winds that our friends are going through in South Dakota, as I write, but it is enough to make things a bit uncomfortable for outside activities.

Today, therefore, I hit the utility barn for some bullet casting. Today, it was the H&G #130 four cavity mould for the .45 target loads. About one and one-half hours and I had a bit over 700 bullets lying on the bench (one RCBS bottom pour pot full). I have sized most of them and will finish up tomorrow. I flat LOVE this mould. Here is a shot of some of the bullets. I had less than a half dozen culls - now THAT is a good run:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QHG503bullet-1735.jpg

The alloy was WW's+2% tin. That does a FINE job in both my revolvers (625's) and my Custom 1911's.

Man! I really enjoy using good tools![smilie=w:

Dale53

copdills
01-13-2009, 03:28 AM
Mighty Fine Looking Boolits Dale 53

hammerhead357
01-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Must be cold there already, looks like frost on the bullets now....I just came in from work and at 0315 hrs. it was a chilly 49 degrees.

Bret4207
01-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Those look good Uncle Dale. I like a little frost on my boolits, always get good fill out.

Yeah, the weather is supposed to get down here the next couple days- highs around ZERO! I hope the wind stays down as I'll be out in the weather no matter what.

Matt_G
01-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Man! I really enjoy using good tools![smilie=w:

Dale53

Yep, no substitute for good tools. I was an A&P mechanic for many years, and I still have my roll-away. It's full of Snap-On's with the odd MAC here and there. They are pricey, but they sure are good tools. :p

I hope to get some H&G's one day. Guess I'm going to have to get good at sniping on flea-bay. Seems to be the only way to win anything out there...

Stay warm!

Dale53
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM
hammerhead357;
Bullets frosted all over don't bother me a bit - they fill out perfectly and show minimum weight differences (I don't weigh pistol bullets except to run a quality control check or to answer someone's question - I just sort visually).

MattG;
H&G's are my favorite bullet moulds. However, that said, I have some Lyman four cavity moulds that work absolutely FINE. AND-D-D, they are a terrific bargain (the blocks can be bought for less than $80.00 at most of the discounters). They have done really well for me. Lyman, however, these days seem to be dropping some really good designs. As an example, they no longer offer the Keith 452424 in a four cavity. There are several other designs that they have dropped. I REALLY hate to see that.

On the subject of four cavity moulds:
When I was actively competing in BPCR (about fifteen years) making match grade bullets with a single cavity mould was REALLY a labor intensive task. EVERYONE stated that you HAD to use a single cavity mould for match use. That was the only way you could get "match accuracy" with a cast bullet (THEY said). Well, I was working full time, raising a family, etc, so time was important. I talked to Veral Smith at Lead Bullet Tecknology and Walt Melander at NEI Handtools. I ended up ordering a four cavity mould from each of them in a bullet design that suited long range use in my 40/65 (my game was BPCR Silhouette and technically, it was/is "Mid Range" as the farthest distance I regularly shot was 550 Meters but one range had the rams at 600+ yards).

I had very specific ideas as to what constituted a good bullet for my gun (size, nose diameter, number of grease grooves, and weight). Both did exactly what I asked for. This is no small task regarding hitting the mark for size, with a particular alloy (each alloy will give you a bullet a different size and weight - just "Bullets 101"). At any rate, both did it within .001" in size requiring minimal sizing ( I use a custom Lee Sizer and pan lube my bullets by the hundreds).

At any rate, my rifle will shoot a minute of angle at 100 yards and I have shot a six inch ten shot group at 500 yards in front of witnesses (off a bench with a twenty power scope). This is very difficult to do because of "conditions" but the rifle will do it (I couldn't quite do it on demand because of shooter limitations - doping wind, etc). However, I quit worrying about the difference between four cavity moulds and single cavity moulds for THIS discipline. Let there be no mistake, if I am shooting bench schuetzen, where I NEED a half minute rifle, then I DO use a single cavity mould.

At any rate, with BPCR my bullet standard is to keep the weight difference at +or- .6 grain with a 422 gr bullet. I can do this using all cavities of a four cavity mould. That is a difference of less than three tenths of a percent (total difference of 1.2 grs divided by the bullet weight 422 grs = .0028).

That is insignificant in the scheme of things and I have proved it to my satisfaction many times. The mould makers told me this but I was quite skeptical until I ordered the moulds.

Both of these moulds are aluminum and were/are crafted in exquisite fashion. If you are a dedicated bullet caster like I am, the affection of mine towards good bullet moulds DOES approach the level of a high end gun collector towards his favorite firearm. However, my affection is based on performance of the mould, if that makes a difference. If they are "pretty" that's just icing on the cake. At any rate, the use of quality four cavity moulds will allow a feller or gal to turn out a significant number of bullets in a reasonable time AND be of match quality for the purpose. This allowed me to increase my practice time and this is far more important to overall performance than the last 1/16" of inherent accuracy. That's my opinion and I am standing by it.

Incidentally, I strictly use a bottom pour pot, even for BPCR bullets that weigh over 500 grains. I WILL say that casting match quality bullets of this weight and length is MUCH more difficult than short fat pistol bullets. However, it can be done - just a matter of "learning how".

Matt, I DO know "whereof you speak". Good tools are a joy forever, to paraphrase.

Dale53