PDA

View Full Version : Weekend scrap reprocessing.

moptop
01-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi all, I just wanted to share what I did over the weekend. A few weeks ago a buddy of mine & I went to an indoor range at a club he is a member at and came home with 2 1/2 5gal buckets of range scrap. All of this is nothing but cast bullet scrap, they don't allow jacketed bullets to be used. The bullet trap is a sand pit so all we had to do was sift it through a screen. The bucket in the picture is the smallest of the 3. The weather was nice here yesterday so I did a little reprocessing, smelting as you call it. The 2nd picture is of the 44lbs of usable lead I got from it. Each ingot weights just a little under 2lbs. I just used a Coleman camp stove & an old 3 quart pot and it worked great. Now I just have to wait for another nice weekend and we'll process the other 2 and we should be good on castable lead for a while. Not too bad for a just a little digging.

Take care.

Russel Nash
01-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Whereabouts in Missouri?

Just curious.

Buckshot
01-13-2009, 02:13 AM
................They look good and it's a fair start. If you get a BP rifle, you'll shoot that away in a couple weekends :-)

................Buckshot

seagiant
01-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Hi,
Well count yourself lucky! If they catch you doing that at my Club,they will politely drum you out the gate!!! To never return! Digging for lead that is!

moptop
01-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Buckshot, I have a BP rifle and a '58 revolver to boot, and yes, that revolver goes throught'em quick when your having fun.

Seagiant, my buddy checked in his "rule book" and nothing was mentioned that it was a no no so he's taking it on good faith that it's ok.

RN, If your in St. louis area then I'm only about 100 miles west of you in Columbia.

targetshootr
01-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Looks good. Without any jacketed, wouldn't it be about the same hardness as ww? Or maybe harder if it's all commercial. I've got a bunch of mixed I picked up at an outdoor range but haven't smelted any of it yet.

Russel Nash
01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
thanks MopTop for answering my question about your location

maybe it's because I am water quenching my bullets... I melt recovered bullets and wheelweights together... those bullets, I think are harder than anything commercially cast, as judged by my very scientific thumbnail press test.