PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Shooting an Enfield made Witworth??

twotrees
01-11-2009, 11:38 PM
A Very good friend has one and after a nasty divorce he has little in the way of casting or loading supplies left.

He was buying bullets from an outfit in Washington that came in a plastic tube , prelubed. They were about the only thing that shot well and didn't need a milkcow sitting on the ramrod, to load.

I know that they make big dollar molds and swage blocks for these , but right now that is NOT an option.

He needs to know what mold and .450 sizing die will make this gun shoot more than 3 shots without the need to swab it down.

Any Ideas will help.

Thanks Y'All,

Buckshot
01-12-2009, 12:14 AM
...............So he has a real British gov't made military Whitworth, vs the Parker-Hale 1st or 2nd gen rifles?

I have a Whitworth P-H 2nd gen which is a copy of the 1862 military 3 band match rifle, and a Clone of a iIgby style match rifle, and both shoot exceedingly well with the Saeco #745 lube-sized .458" then sent up through a Lee .451" size die. Also swaged paper patched conicals of 530grs.

..............Buckshot

oldhickory
01-12-2009, 05:32 AM
I've never owned one myself, but a friend of mine had an early P-H and had good results with the Rapine .451500.

Rattus58
01-15-2009, 12:47 PM
I've never owned one myself, but a friend of mine had an early P-H and had good results with the Rapine .451500.
I have a volunteer rather than a whitworth with one of these barrels and use this bullet as well and have discovered that my barrel is actually closer to .452 and now I've learned to "squish" bullets into larger bore sizers (.452), accuracy improves... Rapine makes some really tight molds and I love them, but when he says .451, bummer.... .450 with really soft lead.

Aloha.... :cool: :drinks: