PDA

View Full Version : Hit the jackpot this weekend

part_timer
01-11-2009, 11:18 PM
The bosses at work were looking for someone to babysit the machine on Saturday. So being the dedicated employee I am, I cut a deal. I babyset for them while I cast boolits in the back of the electrical shop. [smilie=1: They didn't care what I did as long as I was there if they needed an electrician.

4 hours on Saturday with my new 6 cavity LEE group buy mold. YEEE HAAAWWW I wish I could cut deals like that once a month during the winter. I'd have plenty cast for the summer shooting.

I was casting the 220gr swc that I got from 357Maximum. That sure is one big boolit. I have a bit of work to do on the mold as it will not drop the boolits easy and they had to be lifted out with pliers but I expected as much from a new mold. Now I'm waiting on a part for my lube-a-matic and I'm back in the game.

:drinks:

docone31
01-11-2009, 11:27 PM
I work for myself these days. I miss those days indeed.
Being an electrician has its moments. You definately earned the rank.
Good for you. I am glad you made the most of the time.
It would have sucked if work interupted the important stuff. It takes time to get a good fillout and keep pouring. It has to be monitered, pot refilled, dedicated attention to pouring into the cavities.
If someone had needed your services, you would have had to start with a cold mold.
Setbacks like that are annoying.
Heheheh.
Who says you cannot serve two masters?
It sounds like you got some good bosses.
It sounds like they rely on you also.
Not too shabby.

home in oz
01-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Where did you find the loads for that bullet?

part_timer
01-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I have a T/C manual that has a Jacket load for that weight in the Maximum. I'm going to start with it and see where it leads.

cajun shooter
01-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Sounds like your molds might need a good smoking. That will help with the release thing.

Springfield
01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Or run the molds a bit faster to keep the temp up, usually works for me.

part_timer
01-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Yep both of you are right. I needed to move faster and smoke it more. I'm also going to put the screw on the side of the block.

Docone I've been an electrician for just south of 20 years or so now. The bosses are ok most of the time. I'm a salary employee and run the electrical shop for them so my bosses don't much care what I do when I'm doing the on call thing (babysetting)for them. I'm there if needed and it doesn't cost them anything but a bit of electricity for the melting pot.

I've never used a 6 hole Lee before and was amazed how fast the pile of boolits grew. There also seems to be a difference in the quality between the 2 and 6 hole molds. Are the 6 hole molds you get from the supply houses the same quality as the ones that come from the group buy? If so I may just have to have one for the .45