PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tin.

Horsemen
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Where are you guys getting your Tin. And what type, 99%, 50/50, ect.
Whats the going prices one should expect to pay.

deltaenterprizes
01-11-2009, 09:11 PM
How much do you want?

badgeredd
01-11-2009, 09:13 PM
FWIW, I picked up some this summer at a garage sale, 50/50 for a quarter, about a 2 pound spool left from 5 pounder. Walley World has small spools of the 50/50 and I found some 90/10 at an electrical supply near me. I have some high tim babbitt that I am suing to enrich my alloy, so I pick it (solder) up when I see a good deal at garage sales and such.

Edd

mrbill2
01-11-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1ZHW2

timkelley
01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Go to all of your local garage sales, look for pewter, it is mostly tin.

Three44s
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
No offense but I noticed that the Grainger leadless solder contains 2% copper .....

........ is copper a problem in boolits .... or am I just being paranoid?

I bought my tin from a company in Seattle Washington called Non Ferrinous Metals .......

Three 44s

hunter64
01-11-2009, 11:11 PM
A great source for tin is your local radiator repair shop. Most rads are plastic of some sort now but look in an industrial radiator repair shop, most of the big trucks are still steel and to repair them they use a tin/lead combo, I think it is 40/60. I mix 1 Pound of this lead with 9 pounds of WW and according to my Lee Hardness tester it is close enough to Lyman #2 hardness. I bought 2-5 gallon buckets from a shop for 20 bucks about 5 years ago and I still haven't run out yet. It will have antifreeze and other junk in there so make sure you smelt it outside and wear a mask when removing the crap from the melt.

sniper7369
01-11-2009, 11:24 PM
I just buy one pound rolls of 50/50 from the local plumbing supply shop. Tin seems to be pretty scarce around here for some reason.

Jim
01-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or a plumbing supply house. Ask for "Lead Free" solder. It'll run $10-&15 per 1 lb. roll. The content will be real close to 98% tin. The copper content in solder serves to harden the bullets a bit, so you don't wanna overdo it. 1/30 for pistols and 1/20 for rifles.

randyrat
01-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Cable shelthing is almost pure lead soldered together with some sort of Tin mixture, I know because the seams melt quicker than the rest.
If you can find some of this and use it in your mix, of course you need to figure in the pure lead. Or if you can find the stuff unmelted, you could cut out the seams.
The other source would be radiator shops, scrap yards,thirft sales,,,,,or pay through the nose.
One more source high in Tin is; Xray sheilds, small rectangular thin sheets

Horsemen
01-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I was looking through some of the solder I have. and foung some Rosin core at 60% Tin 40% Lead. will the rosin core be a problem??

docone31
01-12-2009, 10:10 AM
With the rosin core, start cold with the solder in the pot on the melt. The heating process will liquify the flux and it should go to the top rather than pushing it into the pot and haveing the flux go POP!.
It does make good flux for melting.
A little common sense goes a long way with molten lead.
I leave Kitty Litter on top of my melt. When I get rejects casting, after water dropping, I put them in the pot on top of the Kitty Litter. The water evaporates quickly, they melt and flow through the Litter.
Anything that can make steam with molten lead is an issue. Steam has amazing power. With anything, just take care it has an escape. Let the gas excude in the open.
A fellow caster I knew had some range lead. He was casting, had the mold up, and was rechargeing his pot. Without looking he tossed some range lead into the pot.
Moments later BANG!
Yup, had a .22 in there!
If you think steam makes silver streaks, you shoulda seen.
I routinely put old solder in my melt. I find it at yard sales, people have some somewhere and they give it to me. I set the solder on top of the melt. It melts quickly, the flux runs, cleans the melt, smokes and is gone. I do not push it into the melt. I stir after it is melted.
If I have a lot, I realloy my ingots. I put them into the pot, stir them, blending it, repour ingots.
After a while I get an homogeneous mixture I like for casting.
I just met a roofer who used to be a crabber. He kept all the lead shields for melting into crab pot weights. No more crabbing, lots of lead. He gave it to me. I might spend today blending so I can make ingots with my mix I have now. A little pure lead might be a good thing in my mix.

sniper7369
01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I was looking through some of the solder I have. and foung some Rosin core at 60% Tin 40% Lead. will the rosin core be a problem??

I used all my 60/40 rosin core and it made some beautiful boolits. I think the rosin fluxed the metal pretty well.

Matt_G
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
You might want to send a PM to JMax. He has some 62/36/2 solder for sale.

kawalekm
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I use old pewter plates and beer goblets that I've picked up cheap at the flea market. By law, items marked "pewter" must be 85% tin, with the remainder lead. Contempory lead-free pewter is 97% tin, 3% antimony. Add about 1lb of pewter to 19lbs of wheel weight lead and you get Lyman #2 alloy.

buck1
01-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Someone here sells it at a good price , But I cant remember who?

FN in MT
01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/tinhighgradebar.htm

One pound tin bars, TEN or more up to fifty....$10.34 per pound, SHIPPED.

FN in MT

hammerhead357
01-13-2009, 06:14 AM
I paid 1 buck per pound for some 50/50 at the local pawn shop last week. Didn't really need it but just couldn't pass up the bargin.....Wes