PDA

View Full Version : Wipe Down Lube

Bigscot
01-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I have been using Break Free for wiping down firearms and it works real well. But with all cheap scapes on the board, myself included, ( and I mean that in the kindest terms) I was wondering if there was something else that can be used, bought cheaply and in bulk. I have heard atf will work and it is a part of Ed's Red.

Bigscot

Hip's Ax
01-11-2009, 04:00 PM
From the Ed's Red recipe:

"I recommend diverting up to 4 ozs. per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix to use as "ER-compatible" gun oil."

I just use Rem Oil, for two bucks a bottle they last a while. I am suspicious that Rem Oil is just spindle oil though.

Boerrancher
01-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I don't want anything with Teflon in it near any of my firearms. The last I saw and it has been a while RemOil had Teflon in it. I have seen it too many times: Shooter zero's scope at the range. Shooter cleans rifle at home with RemOil and follows directions by running an oily patch through the bore when done. Next trip to the range shooter runs dry patch to remove all oil. First 5 to 20 shots fired at the range, the holes in target look like they were put there with a shot gun. After the Teflon is gone, gun settles down and starts shooting good groups again.

The worst case situation is instead of going to the range the shooter goes hunting and misses that trophy white tale, elk or Moose. Seen that happen as well most likely do to the use of a cleaning oil with Teflon. If you don't have these problems, the consider your self lucky. Several weeks in a row I swore someone was messing with my scope after I got it zeroed. I almost got into a couple of fights over guys at the range admiring my rifle thinking they were messing with the scope. After the 3rd week I figured out it was the RemOil.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Hip's Ax
01-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi ya Joe, the topic was wipe down and thats where I use Rem Oil, to wipe down the outside metal.

I use Butch's Gun Oil for the bore for my centerfires.

No Teflon in my bores but I must admit I started doing that because the benchrest shooters swore it was getting them sick.

PatMarlin
01-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I absolutely love Ballistol.

Gun lube, bore cleaner, BP patch lube, Cast boolit sizing lube, wood, rubber, electric contact cleaner and preservative. It just keeps a long time film on steel. A little goes a long, long way.

Non toxic.

Like the smell also, and just can't stand the smell of most lubes cept for Hoppies. Still love the smell of Hoppies.

buck1
01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Slick 50- one lube spray, I love it.For finish wipe down. Its better than REM OIL and cheeper too!
Marvel mystery oil or Eds red for bore.
If you wanted cheeeep, ATF should work well for inside and out.

TAWILDCATT
01-11-2009, 07:42 PM
GUN TESTS claims that Rem Oil is useless.I dont know I use WD40 and when it dries it leaves a tough coating.:coffee: [smilie=1:

PatMarlin
01-11-2009, 07:49 PM
One thing about WD-40...

My first and oldest firearm, just like the one in my avatar, had nothing but WD40 wipedown and it looks as new today as it did 39 years ago. Been through some close calls too.

buck1
01-11-2009, 07:55 PM
GUN TESTS claims that Rem Oil is useless.I dont know I use WD40 and when it dries it leaves a tough coating.:coffee: [smilie=1:

I quit listining to guntests when they said the Taurs was better than Freedom Arms and the .454 was too much gun for someone to handle. ..:groner:

waksupi
01-11-2009, 08:00 PM

Andt that is why you don't want WD 40 getting into the action of your firearms!

Hip's Ax
01-11-2009, 08:12 PM
I was shooting a match in the cellar of NRA HQ years ago and when clean up time came I realized that I had forgotten my gun oil. Went into their store and the small squeeze bottles of Rem Oil is what they had. I've been using it for exterior wipe down ever since. Never had a problem but then again I'm good about keeping my guns clean and in controlled storage. I'm not a hunter so the worst my rifles ever see is a rainy match and of course the rifles are cleaned and dried ASAP.

For long term storage of my collectable stuff, well, they get RIG.

Speaking of RIG, at Camp Perry this year I somehow lost my "Oh S*** Kit" which was RIG, a RIG Rag and that 3M blue painters tape to tape the rifle up if the rain is going to be nasty. It looks like RIG has stopped making the RIG Rag, anybody know where I might find a NOS one?

James C. Snodgrass
01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm with Pat on this for sure Balistol is good stuff . A friend of mine sent me some Lucas Gun oil . It's red and sticky but it's good stuff though, He uses it and swears by it . James

PatMarlin
01-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I need to get more Balli. Our cast boolit brother "powderburner" is a dealer. That's who I'll buy it from when the time comes.

FN in MT
01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
We used to carry M-14's in a canvas case in the trunks of the patrol vehicles. The cases fit perfectly at the rear of the trunk,against the tail light area. BUT....every time a Trooper opened the trunk water/snow/ice would fall on the cases. Left UNATTENDED we ended up with quiite a few rusted M-14's.

We tested several available oils/greases and BreakFree was one of the oils that REALLY stopped rust. We also found (same as the Military) that it was a good bore cleaner as well as a lubricant for semi auto's.

I've used BreakFree for the past twenty years on everything from revolvers, to semi autos to squirt guns. Never a problem.

If You know anyone in the acive military or National Guard....... most Units have the stuff all over the place. Have them snag You a quart or two and your set for life.

FN in MT

Bigscot
01-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I guess there are some things you should not skimp on and firearms protection is not one of them. It's not like I use a lot of Break Free. I have charged my 15 yo son with wiping down any guns we have handled when going hunting or to the range. Being a teenager, he has lost 4 or 5 oil rags and am tired of re-oiling new rags.
I was just curious if there was something in bulk that was the same as a wipe down lube. I have heard that Hoppes is just kerosene with banana oil added. I had thought about Marvel Mystery Oil. I use it for honing blades on a stone after reading about using it for that on another pg. I use Ed's Red on anything lead is shot in and muzzle loaders and for general cleaning. I use Montana Extreme bore conditioning oil down the barrel of everything for long term storage.
I use WD-40 for blowing out crud when deep cleaning guns such as I did with a Mark II when I finally decided to strip it down. I used WD-40 to blast 20 years of gunk out but then came back and used carb cleaner to clean out the WD-40. Lubed and reassembled. That's all I use WD-40 for and protecting non-moving metal.

Thanks for your replies and thoughts.

Bigscot

Hardcast416taylor
01-11-2009, 09:48 PM
If you put 25 people in a room and ask each what his preference is for a certain use, you will probably get 25 different answers. That is why there are so many different name products on the market for any 1 given purpose. Is 1 better than the next? It all boils down to how you use it and the demands you expect of it. Which tractor is best a John Deere or a Ford? See same difference. :confused: Robert

Tom W.
01-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Yup. I use Rem Oil, Kroil and BreakFree. Still use a bit of WD-40 on occasion, too. For cleaning the bore, I use the Outers Foam, followed by Hoppes #9 and the last patch is soaked with Kroil.
Wipedown is with Rem Oil...My rifles still look new...

Le Loup Solitaire
01-11-2009, 11:29 PM
I use a product called "Clenzoil" to not only clean my guns , but to just wipe them down regularly. Never had any problem with rust anywhere and the bores always look good. Also use it on my molds when I store them; never any rust on those either. LLS

01-12-2009, 01:36 AM
I'm working through all the accumulated oils sitting on the bench Mil-tech, Eezox, WD-40, PB Blaster, Corrosion-X, ad ifinitum, and will probably end up just stocking 20W-50 synthetic motor oil, Ed's Red, Corrosion-X, and PB Blaster for all my lube and clean requirements. I think RIG is still available through Brownell's.

azrednek
01-12-2009, 02:25 AM
I can tell you one to not use for wipe down, PB Blaster. My can of WD-40 lost it's pressure and the PB was standing right there so I gave it a try. Big mistake!! PB Blaster is great for it's intended use as a penetrating oil. As far as it's use on guns it will eat away at screws set in Locktite and I quickly discovered the hard way the screws back out from recoil.

As far as the original question about ATF, it will work just fine was a wipe down and rust preventative.

WD-40 works great but bear in mind, WD-40 is apx 90% Kerosene. Back in the late 70's went I dealt with automotive chemicals, WD-40 was apx 90% kerosene with a freon based evaporant. The "contains petroleum distillates" a great advertising line and have to admit it sounds better than "contains kerosene". The freon did the "displaces moisture". WD-40 also contains a perfuming agent to give it it's unique odor and kill the kerosene stench. Since the feds banned freon in most aerosol cans I can only speculate that WD-40 now uses an alcohol evaporant similar to brake cleaners. In the 60's and 70's WD-40 used to advertise it's use on damp distributer caps and rotors. Since the formula changed I sure wouldn't use it in a wet distributer cap. Don't get me wrong WD-40 is great on guns, spray it on, wipe it off and it leaves an almost perfect light coating. I've been using it for apx 30 years and best I can tell it doesn't harm wood finishes. Leave it on thick though it turns to a gummy substance.

Another thing that works as a wipe down and your local gun store probably wont admit it. Is spray furniture polish/wax. The wax protects both the metal and wood surfaces, gives the surface a new looking shine but I worry about it leaving moisture inside of working parts. When I sold guns following the recommendation from factory reps. Janitorial grade Pledge that was specified for metal ash trays worked the best. Not supposed to spray it directly on the gun. Spray it on a rag then wipe down the gun. Works great and will give your guns a little sparkle if you're trying to sell one. Works especially well on brand new guns because most leave the factory with a coating of wax on blued surfaces and wood. The spray wax compliments the factory wax. I'm told but can't speak from expertise or experience that an Armorall type agent is recomended to gun shops for synthetic stocks.

fourarmed
01-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I heard recently that RIG was no longer being made. Sorry to hear it. Best rust preventative I have used.

dubber123
01-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I have been using 0W-20 Mobil 1 motor oil for a while now. It's about the same consistancy as gun oil, but doesn't seem to evaporate, and does better than most oils in the cold. It's also the "slippery" ingredient in my boolit lube, so it goes well with it as a bore preservative.

Kuato
01-12-2009, 05:45 PM
+1 for Ballistol! Stuff works great in the rain! Patch lube & clean all my smokepoles with it & the slings.. Does great on my antique SXS 12s...Put it on Lock, Stock, & Barrels....

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I still just use 3-N-1 as a final wipe down oil and lubricating oil. I've been told that it will gum up in cold weather but it never has caused me any problems.

Regards,
Everett

buck1
01-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I still just use 3-N-1 as a final wipe down oil and lubricating oil. I've been told that it will gum up in cold weather but it never has caused me any problems.

Regards,
Everett

Its made by WD40.

Tom Herman
02-06-2009, 10:56 PM
No Teflon in my bores but I must admit I started doing that because the benchrest shooters swore it was getting them sick.

That's a definite possibility... Teflon is a fluorocarbon. I know from experience that when fluorocarbons are exposed to high heat such as the combustion process, they can break down and give off toxic Fluorine chemicals and gasses.
One place I worked at, we almost lost a machinist: The freon electronics dunk tank allowed some vapor into the air, where it mixed and went through a gas heater.
This was enough to "crack" the molecules and cause them to break down into toxins. Fortunately, we caught it, and changed the way the heater worked (venting it better), and all was well after that.
This could start a whole debate: I've always wondered how products like Tuff Oil (teflon based) could work in engines.
I'm thinking that the combustion of powder in a barrel produces much higher temperatures and pressures that a standard internal combustion engine does, so this may be why Teflon seems to work OK in engines, but possibly breaks down and produces poisonous fumes in rifles.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

PatMarlin
02-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Wonder what temp it takes for the same to happen with pots and pans?

I use Liquid Wrench spray- non flamable w/teflon in the blue can (walmart) for general penetrating around the shop and equipment and that stuff really hangs on.

I can spray bolts and surfaces that sit out in the weather and it will be on there for a few years. Make it point to spray all my electrical contacts with it also, including battery posts. It has stopped corrsion dead on those in the trucks and even our big main solar battery bank.

Don't use it on the guns though.

Tom Herman
02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Wonder what temp it takes for the same to happen with pots and pans?

Info here from Wikipedia:

While PTFE (Teflon) is stable and non-toxic, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 260 °C (500 °F), and decompose above 350 °C (660 °F).[11] These degradation products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans.

PTFE is a white solid at room temperature, with a density of about 2.2 g/cm³. According to DuPont its melting point is 327 °C (620.6 °F), but its properties degrade above 260 °C (500 °F).

Looks like it doesn't take too much heat for it to decompose.... Combustion of smokeless powder should be well beyond that point, so generation of decomposition chemicals is very likely.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Tom Herman
02-07-2009, 09:45 PM
It has stopped corrsion dead on those in the trucks and even our big main solar battery bank.

Hey, Pat! Just curious what you use the solar for... I have four radio sites that are solar powered... The last one has eight 120 watt 12V panels, and we have to put eight more in.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

yondering
02-07-2009, 11:54 PM
I use a 3:1 mix of ATF/Kroil for wipe-down oil, and sometimes for lube too. It seems to work really well.

For longer term protection, I've started using beeswax. I heat the metal gently with a torch, just to the point where beeswax will melt on it, and rub it all over. While it is still warm I rub it around with a thin cloth, this leaves a thin film of wax.
It can be buffed later for a nice shine; Lar's Carnuba Red leaves a really great shine on blued steel!

Recluse
02-08-2009, 03:15 PM
For a wipe-down oil, I've been using G96 for more years than I probably care to remember. It's the only gun solvent out there that has an even better smell than Hoppes #9. I'm never without at least one spare can of G96. I've never had a speck or spot of rust on any firearm I've wiped down with G96, and I've never had any wood stocks, grips or forearms dry out either. I give all my rubber (Hogue, Pachmeyer) grips a light shot and rub down after cleaning as well--never had any rot on me, or dry out and crack.

For the bore, Ed's Red is hard to beat. Period. I have a few different things I do for the many different guns, but the final swap is always with Ed's Red. Hardest gun I have to clean is a Mini-14. For whatever reason, the bore is just pure heck to clean. Tried 'em all, and Ed's did the best job with the least amount of swearing.

But for the outside, G96 is my stuff.

:coffee:

Bigscot
02-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Recluse,

What is G96? Caint (southernese for can't) say I have ever heard of it.

Bigscot

Recluse
02-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Recluse,

What is G96? Caint (southernese for can't) say I have ever heard of it.

Bigscot

This is the best stuff I've ever used. The can in this picture is over ten years old and I still have a quarter of a can left. A little bit goes a LONG way. Never had one gun develop so much as a speck of rust. Never had any wooden stocks, grips or forearms dry out or rot.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/jdkinman/G96%20pic.jpg

Great stuff.

:coffee:

Lloyd Smale
02-13-2009, 06:21 AM
car oil. I can see being anal about the lubricant for your guns but about anything petroleum will protect a gun in a house from rust. Ive even used crisco on a rag rubbed into a gun. For long term storage where it can get damp ive used a car wax.